C/LW Lias Andersson (2017, 7th, NYR, traded to LAK)

Kocur Dill

picklicious
Feb 7, 2010
I roughly said this in the NYR boards.

You win the Bronze medal but are awarded the Silver as runner-up to the Gold.

The Silver is a "losers" medal. There is an air about it.

The medals are earned in a bass akwards fashion. The loser of the Gold medal game should get Bronze.

No reason the 2nd place medal should be awarded for losing a game, yet 3rd place needs to be won to be earned.

With that reasoning. One could understand the frame of mind the athlete is in. Especially having the team blow a hard fought stalemate not more that 15 minutes earlier in the last 2 minutes of a game that could have gone either way.

blindpass

May 7, 2010

The medals are earned in a bass akwards fashion. The loser of the Gold medal game should get Bronze.

No reason the 2nd place medal should be awarded for losing a game, yet 3rd place needs to be won to be earned.

With that reasoning. One could understand the frame of mind the athlete is in. Especially having the team blow a hard fought stalemate not more that 15 minutes earlier in the last 2 minutes of a game that could have gone either way.

The presumption is that the seeding sets it up so that the two best teams can get to the final. In that respect I think it makes more sense as it is, but for sure it is a bit arbitrary. It would also be weird if the bronze medalist had just trounced the silver medalist in the semis.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Did he separate his shoulder from the toss?

At the end of the day it isn't a big deal, but it is funny to hear the Swedish contingent talking it up like some almost heroic act. I just have a funny time thinking about the reverse spin if it was some cocky NTDP American kid throwing it into the stands of Gothenburg and bawling his eyes out. What would the Swedes be saying about North Americans then? Bunch of spoilt, poorly raise, cultureless goons!

Reactions: blindpass

bottomofthefoodchain

Feb 10, 2008
Stockholm
Did he separate his shoulder from the toss?

At the end of the day it isn't a big deal, but it is funny to hear the Swedish contingent talking it up like some almost heroic act. I just have a funny time thinking about the reverse spin if it was some cocky NTDP American kid throwing it into the stands of Gothenburg and bawling his eyes out. What would the Swedes be saying about North Americans then? Bunch of spoilt, poorly raise, cultureless goons!
Im pretty sure we wouldnt care. Most of us dont treat hockey like its a matter of life an death.

blindpass

May 7, 2010
Im pretty sure we wouldnt care. Most of us dont treat hockey like its a matter of life an death.
Yet we are all here spending time talking about it. Obviously, it isn't life and death, just a silly pastime, but you can't pretend you don't care about it. The point about turning it into something heroic is pretty accurate. Lots of people feel charitable towards Sweden for their poor conduct after the game because they feel sorry for their history and felt they were at least an equal to Canada. Fair enough. But let's be real, it was pretty shameful. That said it isn't worth dwelling on -- I'm sure we'd have moved on long ago if people weren't actually praising it.

Jtown

Oct 6, 2010
Fairfax, Virginia
Personally, I wouldn't have done it and it's pretty stupid that he did..but teenagers are stupid. That's about as deep as this goes.

What is stupid about it? The best of the best want to win. Not celebrate 2nd place.

Guess how many people are interviewed to show off their olympic silver medal or talk about their 2nd place finish? No one.

Sports is all about winning and for this kid to do this shows me he gets it and he is a winner.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002

I don't think anyone is treating it life and death.

Just a mild embarrassment for Swedish hockey and an immature moment from a cocky kid. Hardly a heroic trait.

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011

Why should the winner of the Bronze medal get the silver? The loser of the finals at least made it to the finals. You win bronze by being the best team that couldn't make the finals, I'd hardly call that winning, earning and definitely not worth the silver. You shouldn't be awarded anything and the way the tournament is setup in the first place allows something like this to take place, but that's a different topic. You can make the argument that they lost, but anybody coming in 3rd lost before that.

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
Shoulder injury occurred during the final minutes of the RUS-SWE game. Don't recall if it was the OT or regulation.

He was nailed into the boards and didnt partake in the rest of the game.

Played the rest of the games though. Quarterfinals, he played very well in the first, petered out in the second and left early, and then had a single shift or two in the third. Played the SF and Finals pretty well for a bum shoulder. Probably had 50 million painkillers in his system.

UnSandvich

Sep 7, 2017
Shoulder injury occurred during the final minutes of the RUS-SWE game. Don't recall if it was the OT or regulation.

He was nailed into the boards and didnt partake in the rest of the game.

Played the rest of the games though. Quarterfinals, he played very well in the first, petered out in the second and left early, and then had a single shift or two in the third. Played the SF and Finals pretty well for a bum shoulder. Probably had 50 million painkillers in his system.

I believe it was in the last minute of regulation?

JAS 39 Gripen

Jun 26, 2011
Stockholm
Yet we are all here spending time talking about it. Obviously, it isn't life and death, just a silly pastime, but you can't pretend you don't care about it. The point about turning it into something heroic is pretty accurate. Lots of people feel charitable towards Sweden for their poor conduct after the game because they feel sorry for their history and felt they were at least an equal to Canada. Fair enough. But let's be real, it was pretty shameful. That said it isn't worth dwelling on -- I'm sure we'd have moved on long ago if people weren't actually praising it.
Thats just plain wrong, we’re defending him rather than praising him, and the fact that you try to turn the table around to fit your own agenda is hilarious

blindpass

May 7, 2010
Thats just plain wrong, we’re defending him rather than praising him, and the fact that you try to turn the table around to fit your own agenda is hilarious
I really don't want to continue this -- some were in fact praising him for the "character" accepting nothing but Gold shows. Defending it is bad enough -- yes he's a kid, he'll mature and it isn't worth dwelling on, but he was pretty obviously trying to show contempt for the game. He's old enough that he should face some heat for it.

Edit:
Re defending it: Not connecting the dots between other comments about embellishment and this as an act of protest, not pride, is really putting the blinders on. This is just coincidence? That narrative was set before the game and even though the diving didn't happen they were so caught up in their disappointment they imagined it anyway.

I feel for the guy. I love the way he plays, but he was wrong and it won't kill him to have to face up to it. Passion like that absolutely can take drive a player to misguided actions if it isn't coupled with some maturity.

Andersson showed true character in doing this, the fiesty, hate to lose character that every GM salivates over.
I think what the kid did showed tremendous character. It did not look like he threw a temper tantrum and chucked the medal. He shook the hand then while skating away took it off his head and lobbed it to a fan. I believe he knew exactly whathedid and by doing so earned respectfrom his peers.
He was already a beast before he threw the medal and showed character+passion like this. This is just the cherry on top to solidify it

Last edited:

Morten

May 24, 2014
out for the next 2 weeks, Rangers and Frölunda suspects Anderssons injury got worse cause he completed the tournament

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
No doubt.

If you're playing with a bum shoulder, and play the kind of game Lias does, then that's going to increase chances of screwing it up more.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad