Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
All your Swedes are belong to us.

Ranked #220 by MCKEEN'S HOCKEY
Ranked #146 by RECRUIT SCOUTING

He's an OA and this is EP's write on him from last year -

Sjödin’s handling skills keep you watching. In fact, we probably caught a few extra games of him simply due to the pure entertainment factor. The forward more than earned the 6-grade hands we gave him. He has the dangling part of the game down. Not only does he possess the hand speed -- they are lightning quick -- and the creativity, but he prepares his moves well. Sjödin brings the puck at his hip as defenders rush him and waits for the precise moment where they commit to a pokecheck to toe-drag or use his skate blade to bounce the puck around them. His internal sense of time and abilities to read defenders and thread the puck in between stick and skates is significantly above-average in this draft. He can also act with pace; manipulate and dangle on his first touch of the puck.

That being said, if you read some of the other profiles in this draft guide, you probably know we are going next. Apart from the dangles, Sjödin doesn’t show many NHL projectable elements. Similarly to William Strömgren, he is more interested in making defenders look foolish than advancing the offence in repeatable ways and that style of play will catch up to him at higher levels. “Is Sjödin only a dangler?” David St-Louis asked. “He turns the feet of defenders, makes shoulder fakes to misdirect the opposition into thinking that he is turning or passing and then moves around defenders, but once he gets in the offensive zone, he barely makes any productive plays.”

Maybe if Sjödin was a year younger, not an October 2002 birthday, but a September 2003 one, we would have excused some of his deficiencies, thinking he would have more runway to fix those attributes. Or maybe not. Sjödin’s game processing, his passing decisions and the slowness of some of his plays raise a lot of questions. His skating also received a below-average grade.

Reactions: TheMistyStranger

Woodhouse

Dec 20, 2007
New York, NY
#220- Linus Sjodin- Linus Sjodin had a successful year in the SHL this season, netting 5 goals and 6 assists for 11 points in a pro mens league. Sjodin has good net-front presence despite not being overly big, and carries a terrific weapon of a shot. He receives pucks well and can rip them through goalies within just a few milliseconds after receiving them. He has no problem finding positioning offensively, and has a good hand eye to match tip ins in front of the net. However, there is still work to be done. I like Sjodin as a skater, however I wish he would have more confidence with the puck and find spaces to skate to, as I feel he isn’t very difficult to defend against this way. I would also like to see Sjodin position himself along the outer edges of the net as I feel he would find more success from these areas compared to always being dead centre, where his chances of landing a puck on his stick are less. In Sjodin, I see someone who can take a shooter’s role on the 3rd line with some power play time as well.

Potential: 3rd line W

Potential rank: 2/10

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Reactions: TheMistyStranger

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Seems like he's more RW than center at the moment with Tarnstrom (Ranger pick) as his center. Trying to figure out his other linemate...

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Sjodin and Rogle managed to advance and will face Ostlund's Lakers in the next round of the SHL playoffs. He just plugs along, 4th line getting around 10 minutes per game, game after game. Recall that he was the consolation Rogle pick after they missed out on Kasper.

Reactions: SabreHawk

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad