Prospect Info: (C) Jiri Felcman - 2023 NHL Draft, 93rd Overall

jls24

Apr 30, 2013
followed by a 6'3" kid. Here comes all that size some were asking for.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
I picked him in a mock before draft but that was like at #180 something

Seems a reach

Bobby Mac had him ranked #176 on his board

Not fond of this pick several better options were available

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
Big Czech forward who can skate very well for his size. Besides, I don't think he's anything special. Very underwhelming scoring output in a very weak junior league. Was outscored by 06 born teammate and 2024 eligible Jamiro Reber. Don't know. Seems like quite the reach for me but maybe Blackhawks scouts have seen something everybody else has missed.

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC
Big Czech forward who can skate very well for his size. Besides, I don't think he's anything special. Very underwhelming scoring output in a very weak junior league. Was outscored by 06 born teammate and 2024 eligible Jamiro Reber. Don't know. Seems like quite the reach for me but maybe Blackhawks scouts have seen something everybody else has missed.
By pick 93, it's all reaching, hoping, and praying albeit some a bit more than others.

Here's to hoping and praying. Let's get lucky.

Reactions: HawksDub89

newmanager

Feb 5, 2010
Jiri Felcman is on the Czech U20 team camp for games against Finland and Switzerland coming up in July.
Here's hoping he gets back on track. He looked very promising a couple years ago but didn't show as much progression over the last year as projected. He's still a pretty good prospect. Decent skating and skills to go along with size.

Reactions: Mrfenn92

newmanager

Feb 5, 2010
For those that didn't get to see the U18's at the end of April, Felcman centered the first line with Sale and Stancl as his wingers. He only produced 2 apples in 5 games but the Czech team as a whole struggled on offense. His strongest game seemed to be in the quarter finals against USA. If anyone feels slighted by missing out on David Edstrom, Jiri Felcman plays a very similar style in an even bigger body.
With a good performance at the summer exhibition games he can cement himself a spot on the 2024 WJC team.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
Apparently he's currently with the SCL Tigers (has two years left on his deal with them) but is expected to attend the Blackhawks camp.

I must say I don't like it at all. If he's really expected to play SL for Bellinzona this season then he should be with them right now. The step from juniors to SL is beyond huge. Junior level in Switzerland is very low and SL is a pro league.
Felcman was a decent junior but by no means outstanding. Outperformed by younger players on his own team. In the SL there are still just two imports allowed and those are gonna have to carry the load for the team to be competitive. To keep his SL gig Felcman would have to make a step from decent junior to outstanding SL player. Bellinzona may be a Tigers affiliate but it's mainly an Ambri affiliate so I don't think the Tigers can force Bellinzona to play Felcman through struggles. Bellinzona's first regular season game is in three weeks and I really think Felcman should be with them now. Him attending Tigers and Blackhawks camps does very little for him at this point. He can do so next year but it's not a good idea this year and could cost him his SL gig.

We'll see but I don't like it one bit.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016

Signed his first professional contract with the Tigers. 3 year deal replacing the junior deal with 2 years left. No mention of the Bellinzona Rockets but I hope that's still the plan since he's not gonna get a chance with Tigers this season and junior hockey in Switzerland is pretty meh.
On a sidenote, it's mentioned in the statement that Felcman is gonna get his Swiss playing licence next year so starting 24/25 he'll no longer count as an import player. Not having to compete for these limited slots is gonna make life a lot easier for Felcman. I imagine the Tigers are planning to have him on their NL roster after this season.

clydesdale line

Connor BeJesus
Jan 10, 2012
He’s played 4 games so far for Langnau U-20 3 goals 2 assists.

He'll be reporting to the SCL Tigers in the NL which is a men's league. Interested to see how the kid handles it. Vili Saarijarvi (who the Hawks got on that 3 team Kane trade) is on that team.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016

That was a good idea. Thankfully, Blackhawks released him just in time.

Harri Pesonen and Saku Mänalainen are sick, Anthony Louis is still injured so Felcman got to play his first two NL games. Played back to back vs Biel and Fribourg Friday and Saturday. Was the teams 4C and played just 8:30 and 10mins respectively without scoring any points but this is still remarkable as NL teams can only use 10 imports. It would probably still take a lot for Felcman to become a regular with the Tigers this season but the fact that he's one of eight players now the Tigers can use for their six import slots on gamedays (and the fact they can sign just two more all season long) likely means he's gonna get more games as early as this season. He was always gonna be an NL regular next season when he'll no longer count towards the Tiger's import slots but the fact that he's getting into games this season already shows the Tigers have lots of trust in him.

First import teenager to play NL since Auston Matthews.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad