C Jack Hughes - USNTDP (2019 Draft)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
I mean, he's 5'10, 159 lbs right now according to his official listing from the IIHF U18s in April. Given that he wasn't quite yet 17 at the time, it's pretty conceivable that he could be 5'11, 175 by the time he's drafted, and around 5'11, 190 by the time he's 21-22.

Obviously, it's not the ideal 6-2, 210 lb frame that Matthews and Eichel have, no argument there, but I don't think it will be a hindrance.

Larionov was half of this, came to the league past his prime and played in a much tougher era. As far as I remember, he still did pretty ok.

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
He's so skilled his size will be no detriment. If it doesn't hinder a guy like gaudreau you can be sure he will have no problem. Only question is just how good is he going to be.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
He's not as fast but they have very similar skillsets. McDavids shot might have been a bit better. I feel like this kid is going to rack up a tonne of assists in the NHL though. The way he see's the ice, uses his edgework and stickhandling to open up space and then finds guys with pinpoint accuracy. It's amazing.
I think both have muffin of shots, McDavid's is better, but even his is quite awful for the NHL. Both of them tend to score goals using this agility and speed to open up goalers. McDavid straight line speed won't be matched, perhaps ever, however Hughes due to his smaller frame makes his agility and edge work better than Connor's. So Jack is definitely shiftier and that is quite a feat considering how good McDavid is.

Breakers

Make Mirrored Visors Legal Again
Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado
So where is he playing next year?

Right now "NCAA Acceleration" is on the table a la Werenski and it is being considered.

Mike Spath who is Michigan;s insider said Quinn Hughes turning pro could help him make that decision which is going to happen within the next 7 days most likely. Apparently the appeal of playing with his brother is pretty strong.

Last edited:
Reactions: Daximus

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Right now "NCAA Acceleration" is on the table a la Werenski and it is being considered.

Mike Spath who is Michigan;s insider said Quinn Hughes turning pro could help him make that decision which is going to happen within the next 7 days most likely

Awesome news. So the plan is to go to U of Mich then I'd imagine to play with Quinn?

Breakers

Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado
Awesome news. So the plan is to go to U of Mich then I'd imagine to play with Quinn?

Yeah that is apparently the main hold up. The burden of proof or school work required in NCAA acceleration is less than normal but it is still reasonably tough. I bet he could get it done.

I am pretty sure the decision should happen quick for Quinn.
If he turns pro he would move to vancouver and use their training facilities
If he doesnt he is back on campus using Michigan's which is probably better than the Canucks gym.
I dont see them dragging the decision on through out the summer, but who knows.

Breakers

Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado

Also he did mention BC is still an option as well with Wahlstrom, McBain & Samuelsson as other incoming freshman into that system. which is the best incoming freshman class in the league.

Brock Radunske

안양종합운동장 빙상장
Aug 8, 2012
So what tier of 1st overall centres are we thinking for this kid?
McDavid?
Matthews?
Tavares/Stamkos?
Hischer?

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
McDavid?
Matthews?
Tavares/Stamkos?
Hischer?
Matthews/Tavares/Stamkos range. Probably on the high end of that range, but a clear step below McDavid.

Hughes U18's were incredible, but they don't stack up to McDavid's especially when you consider that was during McDavid's exceptional status season.

I'm excited to see what he does at the U20's.

Last edited:

danyhabsfan

Feb 12, 2007
Montreal
McDavid?
Matthews?
Tavares/Stamkos?
Hischer?

1 year before the draft

Matthews (1.95 ppg)
2014-15U.S. National Under-18 TeamUSDP605562117
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Hughes (1.84 ppg)
2017-18U.S. National Under-18 TeamUSDP37274168
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Hughes is born in May vs Matthews who was born in September. (2 days too late for the 2015 draft)

So he's producing a bit less but he's 8 months younger which is huge.

Last edited:
Reactions: Brock Radunske

ijuka

May 14, 2016

It's u18 national team DP, Jack Hughes was u17, Matthews was u18. Hughes didn't even get promoted to 18s until later. Comparing those separate years makes 0 sense.

These are the ones you should compare:

Hughes 27+41=68 in 37 gp

Matthews 12+5=17 in 20 gp

danyhabsfan

Feb 12, 2007
Montreal

It's u18 national team DP, Jack Hughes was u17, Matthews was u18. Hughes didn't even get promoted to 18s until later. Comparing those separate years makes 0 sense.

These are the ones you should compare:

Hughes 27+41=68 in 37 gp

Matthews 12+5=17 in 20 gp

That was 2 years before the draft thought but you can use those stats but Hughes is now the older player between them. (May vs September)

I used the draft -1 season where I pointed out that Hughes is 8 months younger.

byeyimini

Sep 10, 2002
Visit site
[QUOTE="I used the draft -1 season where I pointed out that Hughes is 8 months younger.[/QUOTE]

Help me out with the 8 month difference thing.

ijuka

May 14, 2016
That was 2 years before the draft thought but you can use those stats but Hughes is now the older player between them. (May vs September)
Again, Hughes was in his u17 year, just like Matthews at that time. USDP doesn't work with "draft-1 draft-2", it works with birth year. Matthews was no longer even eligible to play in USDP in his draft-1 because he was u19.

Additionally, I don't understand your logic where a 8 month age difference is supposedly more accurate than a 4 month age difference. Some sense please.

Reactions: Jesse86436

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Crosby height at the 2005 Combine
"5'10.3"
True Story.

Yeah Crosby, Giroux, Briere, Koivu, Drury, Savard, Oates, Yzerman, Dionne, Mikita, Clarke..
There's been plenty of good small centers in the history of the league.

In the immortal words of Nigel Powers.
"It's not about the size mate, it's how you use it."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $1,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated: