C Jack Hughes - USNTDP (2019 Draft) Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

tuozzi

Dec 9, 2011
Turku
Just checking if the Finns are watching this one.

Finnish fans have a front row view to this asswhooping

Why do Fins get sooooo offended and have to turn everything into a Hughes vs Kakko debate. For the record, Ive never seen a tournament where Kakko “slapped” him. Ive actually never even seen a tournament where he was decisively better either

I don't know, but devils fans chirping is probably not helping any..

See how I generalised the whole fanbase based on two posters. Pretty neat trick, huh?

Anyway, this was actually the first full game that I saw of him and the dude looks legit. Actually the whole US team was really impressive. So much speed!

bigdog16

Nov 7, 2013
USA
I don't know, but devils fans chirping is probably not helping any..

See how I generalised the whole fanbase based on two posters. Pretty neat trick, huh?

Anyway, this was actually the first full game that I saw of him and the dude looks legit. Actually the whole US team was really impressive. So much speed!

What about for the people who have been following Hughes dating back to last year? And then get a great thread bombarded by insecure Kaako humpers who come to a thread dedicated for Jack Hughes and boast about how Hughes sucks, North American bias, and how Kaako is the next Mario Lemeiux (someone literally said that) all in the Jack Hughes thread.

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
What about for the people who have been following Hughes dating back to last year? And then get a great thread bombarded by insecure Kaako humpers who come to a thread dedicated for Jack Hughes and boast about how Hughes sucks, North American bias, and how Kaako is the next Mario Lemeiux (someone literally said that) all in the Jack Hughes thread.

The moment anyone says someone is the next Mario Lemieux, they instantly pay a price.

tuozzi

Dec 9, 2011
Turku
Holy hyperbole. I've read this thread a lot and there are a couple of Finnish posters that I've seen doing that. Most are praising Hughes.

Also, I don't see why weaknesses cannot be talked about because of presumed biases. Finns, me included, talk about Kakko's weaknesses in the Kakko thread, but we're not allowed to talk about Hughes' weaknesses here?

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
Holy hyperbole. I've read this thread a lot and there are a couple of Finnish posters that I've seen doing that. Most are praising Hughes.

Also, I don't see why weaknesses cannot be talked about because of presumed biases. Finns, me included, talk about Kakko's weaknesses in the Kakko thread, but we're not allowed to talk about Hughes' weaknesses here?

the op of this thread is literally a Hughes hit piece

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E

Forgot to mention he isn’t that good a skater due to his wide turns.

NjDevsRR

Anything Can Happen In Jersey
Apr 24, 2012
Belmar
7B6FFE9B-4BA8-4C7F-9AEA-CEDB1DA04887.jpeg

Whalers Fan

Go Habs!
Sep 24, 2012
Plymouth, MI
Pointless maybe, but so is playing in a tournament with children after he's played a full season against men. What does he have to prove in a u18?
He is playing against his top peers from other countries. I don’t see a problem here, and he can still play in the WC afterwards. He is also fulfilling the commitment he made to the NTDP when he signed with the program.

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
He is playing against his top peers from other countries. I don’t see a problem here, and he can still play in the WC afterwards. He is also fulfilling the commitment he made to the NTDP when he signed with the program.
Sorry i was responding to someone about Kakko. Have zero problem with Hughes playing in this tournament. Fingers crossed he goes to the WC too.

Reactions: Whalers Fan

Whalers Fan

Go Habs!
Sep 24, 2012
Plymouth, MI
I would argue player size and strength makes a much bigger difference than rink size. That's why Matthews came to Switzerland rather than remaining in the USHL.
Matthews was a late birthday, so he was not eligible for the NHL draft after his 2nd NTDP season. Therefore his options in North America were basically the NCAA or CHL. He instead chose to play in Europe.

BTW, the same situation was faced by NTDP alumni Patrick Kane (went to OHL), Jack Eichel (went to NCAA), Dylan Larkin (NCAA), among others.

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
Matthews was a late birthday, so he was not eligible for the NHL draft after his 2nd NTDP season. Therefore his options in North America were basically the NCAA or CHL. He instead chose to play in Europe.

Is there a reason why he couldn't remain in the USHL with another team had he so desired? As far as I know graduating from the NTDP does not make a player ineligible, but I don't follow the league closely.

VoidCreature

Before you see the light, you must die.
Mar 6, 2015
New Jersey
Remind me why Hughes supposedly isn't on Matthews level as a prospect?

He's breaking nearly every record there is at every level.

Whalers Fan

Go Habs!
Sep 24, 2012
Plymouth, MI
Is there a reason why he couldn't remain in the USHL with another team had he so desired? As far as I know graduating from the NTDP does not make a player ineligible, but I don't follow the league closely.
Technically he could, but no high end prospect from the NTDP has ever gone this route — only bottom of the roster players have done so. The CHL is a better league than the USHL, so a top prospect would go that route if he decided to stay in juniors. The USHL allows a prospect to retain NCAA eligibility, but a prospect like Hughes would go straight to the NCAA from the NTDP if he wanted to go that route — he wouldn’t need additional “seasoning” in the USHL ( the primary reason a bottom the roster NTDP graduate would go the USHL route).

NjDevsRR

Anything Can Happen In Jersey
Apr 24, 2012
Belmar

Something something size, something something non Toronto market drafting him, something something some Finn says.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York

Because the NHL game is about more than points.

He's the same or better level of junior hockey player, but Eichel and Matthews games have translated very well to the NHL. There's definite skepticism about whether Hughes game will translate as well to the NHL. If it does, he might be comparable to McDavid. The NHL isn't pond hockey. He plays the type of game that translates much better to junior than the NHL.

I've yet to see anyone reputable suggest he's as good as either of those two.

zharkenby

Jun 17, 2011
Because the NHL game is about more than points.

He's the same or better level of junior hockey player, but Eichel and Matthews games have translated very well to the NHL. There's definite skepticism about whether Hughes game will translate as well to the NHL. If it does, he might be comparable to McDavid. The NHL isn't pond hockey. He plays the type of game that translates much better to junior than the NHL.

I've yet to see anyone reputable suggest he's as good as either of those two.

Most of your takes are terrible but this is pretty wel said. However you Oversell it to try to prove your point.

There’s no skepticism. Hughes is going to put up points in the nhl. The question is how high is the ceiling in terms of becoming a complete player. So far he’s consistently exceeded expectations

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad