C German Rubtsov (2016, 22nd, PHI)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hoverhand

Barry Trotzky
Dec 6, 2015
Ontario
It'd be nice for the Leafs to pick him up I'm a big fan of his game but it's unlikely he falls to Pittsburghs pick.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Yeah the league that produces this years MVP, and continually produces the best players in the world is a scrub league, some of the anti-CHL bias is hilarious.

and Anti Eastern European bias!:sarcasm:

Sergei Shirokov

Jul 27, 2012
British Columbia
How is his shooting ability? And how does he compare to Jost? he has nice hands and is a nice playmaker, his size and speed is fantastic, im just curious to learn more about his offensive upside, and what he is like as a finisher.

ValeriKamensky

May 8, 2013
How is his shooting ability? And how does he compare to Jost? he has nice hands and is a nice playmaker, his size and speed is fantastic, im just curious to learn more about his offensive upside, and what he is like as a finisher.

Rubtsov has a very good shot, but he uses it not so often. It`s a problem for many russians, especially centers.
About compare to Jost... I think Tyson`s shot is better. Rubtsov better in takeaways, work ethic and other things of Bergeron-style...))They have the same level of Playmaking skills

Last edited:

Sergei Shirokov

Jul 27, 2012
British Columbia
Rubtsov has a very good shot, but he uses it not so often. It`s a problem for many russians, especially centers.
About compare to Jost... I think Tyson`s shot is better. Rubtsov better in takeaways, work ethic and other things of Bergeron-style...))They have the same level of Playmaking skills
Thanks for the response, I appreciate it, I like him alot but haven't been able to see his shot in action so that's what I am most curious about, aswell I see him as a comparable player to Jost so I appreciate your honest response on that aswell. Cheers.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I've said it before, and I'll say it again, I think Rubtsov is going to be the player who goes in the back half of the first round that people will eventually wonder how he didn't go top 5.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
How is it that people not living in Russia have seen him play? I mean fans. In this thread. How have you guys managed to catch MHL games?
MHL games can occasionally be streamed on BET365 (I know this is not avalible in the US without using a VPN, and an international address) in my experience. Although I've never watched a full MHL game. So I assume those streams aren't hard to find for people who want to watch him.

KarIgo87

Rider on the Storm
May 22, 2015
Moscow
It's not that hard to find some MHL games online, true. Quality is usually bad though if it's not Red Army home feed. But U18 was hard to catch, they didn't broadcast their home games. Maybe next season.
I like to think about German as our Sean Couturier who btw is really underrated. We desperately need forwards like him. He won't be an offensive machine but I hope will be something above 0,6PPG. Elite 2-way 2nd line center. Maybe even 1st line but let's not get carried away.

Woodhouse

Dec 20, 2007
New York, NY
How is it that people not living in Russia have seen him play? I mean fans. In this thread. How have you guys managed to catch MHL games?
You're forgetting that Rubtsov was part of Russia's WJAC team and his 4-point game there vs Team USA is probably featured in most of his highlight reels. Some caught him there, while others probably found some full U18 games on YouTube (if you search on the official team channels that upload MHL games); for instance:

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
It's not that hard to find some MHL games online, true. Quality is usually bad though if it's not Red Army home feed. But U18 was hard to catch, they didn't broadcast their home games. Maybe next season.
I like to think about German as our Sean Couturier who btw is really underrated. We desperately need forwards like him. He won't be an offensive machine but I hope will be something above 0,6PPG. Elite 2-way 2nd line center. Maybe even 1st line but let's not get carried away.

I think he has first line potential. I wouldn't write him off for having that. He puts up points pretty well, but I think he has a very high floor. He's so good defensively that if he even has some offense, he'll be a second line center.

Reddwit

Feb 4, 2016
Reading his scouting report, he sounds a lot like Larkin. Wonder if the Wings take him at #16 if they don't like any of the D options...

MichaelJ

May 20, 2013
Reading his scouting report, he sounds a lot like Larkin. Wonder if the Wings take him at #16 if they don't like any of the D options...

With Datsyuk leaving, I don't see him getting beyond #16. The kid has the goods.

Garyboy

Oct 31, 2010
Toronto

He was in Whitby/Cobourg for the World Jr. A Challenge. Saw him quiet a few times there. Was also in Sarnia the year earlier, and has played in the U.S. as well.

Riggins

Jul 12, 2002
Vancouver, BC

The HF way is reading scouting reports, watching some youtube hilites and then forming very strong opinions and making definitive statements about who your team will or won't pick.

OvermanKingGainer

#BennettFreed #CurseofTheSpulll #FreeOliver
Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary
The HF way is reading scouting reports, watching some youtube hilites and then forming very strong opinions and making definitive statements about who your team will or won't pick.

You forgot that once another team takes that player, looking at hockeydb stats to disparage that player's skill level.

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
Question for those who viewed him often: his MHL stats appear to be good, not great as compared to recent Russian NHL stars at the same age. Yet, I read here about him being a true draft steal and even having 1/2C potential. I've read all I can on him and watched his impressive highlights (which are never going to tell the whole story), but with his numbers, why do you think his offensive potential is so high? And is there a reason his raw point totals are so low?

Is Rubtsov a case of a player with lots of skill and incredible hockey IQ who, while very good, just hasn't quite put it together yet, and you're banking on the IQ part bringing out the rest? Maybe like Bergeron in his draft year? I'm not the biggest fan of McLeod, and I'm wondering how he differentiates himself from someone like that with similar production concerns....

Last edited:

KarIgo87

Rider on the Storm
May 22, 2015
Moscow
Question for those who viewed him often: his MHL stats appear to be good, not great as compared to recent Russian NHL stars at the same age. Yet, I read here about him being a true draft steal and even having 1/2C potential. I've read all I can on him and watched his impressive highlights (which are never going to tell the whole story), but with his numbers, why do you think his offensive potential is so high? And is there a reason his raw point totals are so low?

Is Rubtsov a case of a player with lots of skill and incredible hockey IQ who, while very good, just hasn't quite put it together yet, and you're banking on the IQ part bringing out the rest? Maybe like Bergeron in his draft year? I'm not the biggest fan of McLeod, and I'm wondering how he differentiates himself from someone like that......
I, personally, don't think that he has such a great offensive upside, I'll be glad if he becomes Russian Sean Couturier. U18 NT in MHL isn't some powerhouse though (3,6 GPG), they played mostly against guys who are 2-3 years older than them. And since it was national team coach tried a lot of things, changed lines, invited other U18 players from their teams, gave all the lines pretty much equal time on the ice. So it would be naive to expect OHL-like numbers, 2PPG or something. But he was pretty good in terms of points at first half of the season, especially when they were on a winning streak. But at the end of the season the team and him quieted down a bit. Maybe because they were preparing for WJC-U18.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad