C Gavin Brindley - University of Michigan, NCAA (2023, 34th, CBJ)

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Really talented center. Reminds me a lot of Marco Rossi. He’s under-sized (5’8). This will be a big obstacle to him sticking at center, but he works really hard, is strong for his size and age, skates pretty well, excellent hockey sense, and he’s very good offensively. I don’t know if his skating or offense is elite for his size at the position, and if he doesn’t get bigger he may have to move off the position, but he easily looks like an early first round pick. 2023 draft-eligible, so he has some time to develop his game further. Really impressive player though already in the USHL.

Gavin Brindley at eliteprospects.com

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
He’s now listed at 5’9, so he’s growing. He’s still only 16. His size may end up not being a problem. His father is listed at 5’10. He’s a former career minor leaguer that accumulated a lot of penalty minutes. I see where Brindley got his on-ice competitiveness.

He has 5 points in his first 3 games of the season. I think he’ll have a big season and be one of the best forwards in the league. I think his draft range is right around what it was for Rossi. Somewhere around 10. This guy isn’t getting enough talk. He’s a very good player.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
My notes after watching Brindley this season.

Brindley: I’m going to still use the Marco Rossi comparison. I really like Brindley’s game. Even if he’s not going to stick at center (probably about 5’9 with a reckless style of play and not elite skating), he’s going to be a good player. He’s pretty good offensively with a combination of passing, shooting, and stick-handling. He he has a great motor, has good hockey sense, and plays in all situations. He also isn’t afraid to go to the net. I can’t see how he’s not a first round pick type of player. May end up a mid-first round pick.

Reactions: JohnJim

QJL

Jan 2, 2014
Is he playing at Michigan this year or deferring? Another year in the USHL?

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
5 points in 3 games.

I don’t know what to do with some of these stat totals.

Michigan is ridiculous. I think it’ll actually be hard for Brindley to not score close to, at, or above 1PPG this season. That’ll almost certainly be better than Charlie Stramel, who plays for a weak Wisconsin team, but is also a lot better than Brindley.

I guess it can’t be a bad thing for the Michigan kids that the team will score so many goals, but it may make it a little difficult to assess their seasons.

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
5 points in 3 games.

I don’t know what to do with some of these stat totals.

Michigan is ridiculous. I think it’ll actually be hard for Brindley to not score close to, at, or above 1PPG this season. That’ll almost certainly be better than Charlie Stramel, who plays for a weak Wisconsin team, but is also a lot better than Brindley.

I guess it can’t be a bad thing for the Michigan kids that the team will score so many goals, but it may make it a little difficult to assess their seasons.
And Nazar isn't even playing yet. And I think outside of Fantilli he's probably going to be the best college player of all of them.

MichaelFarrell

Aug 29, 2016
Pittsburgh, PA
I have a lot of respect for Brindley’s game. He is a good skater, really good hands in tight, and great motor. He willingly engages in board battles and goes to the hard areas despite a clear disadvantage of size. They actually had him playing center for most of the game tonight (despite the fact he is definitely not a center) and he plays in all situations.

He’s a talented winger but man he is small. He’s listed at 5’9”, but I think that’s a bit generous. Seeing him play in person today, he really looked like a boy against men which, to be fair, essentially he was.

Tough to determine if he’s a 1st round pick or not at this point but I’m a big fan of him. He’s extremely hard working and has talent.

MichaelFarrell

Aug 29, 2016
Pittsburgh, PA
Goal and an assist against Minnesota

This assist on the Fantilli goal is the perfect representation of why I rank Brindley so high. I was going nuts when I saw this goal last night.

He wins the board battle and then he is so patient with the puck. He doesn’t just shoot it towards the net. He baits two defending players towards him and creates a wide open lane to Fantilli. What a play. I love this guy.

GlassesJacketShirt

Aug 4, 2010
Sherbrooke
In past drafts.. I don't think he's one of the best 32 prospects this year.

I disagree, to me Brindley is someone whose production is finally catching up to his play. No doubt he will fall to the late first round or second, but I think his value on an NHL roster can surpass that positioning when everything falls into place.

Last edited:

Goldenhands

Slaf_The_Great
Sponsor
Aug 21, 2016
Brindley vs Benson is a legit debate to have. Brindley is no longer a dark horse prospect, kid is a lock top 20 prospect for this draft and there is more value in drafting Brindley mid 1st than picking Benson too early IMO.

Reactions: BKarchitect

95snipes

Dec 11, 2019
Brindley vs Benson is a legit debate to have. Brindley is no longer a dark horse prospect, kid is a lock top 20 prospect for this draft and there is more value in drafting Brindley mid 1st than picking Benson too early IMO.
Brindley's grown on me, but I don't think that's a debate at all. For me, Benson projects as a bona fide first liner in the Marner tier. I see Brindley as a middle six forward or top six complimentary player.

Goldenhands

Slaf_The_Great
Sponsor
Aug 21, 2016
Brindley's grown on me, but I don't think that's a debate at all. For me, Benson projects as a bona fide first liner in the Marner tier. I see Brindley as a middle six forward or top six complimentary player.
I dont think Benson is a Marner level skater though. His skating lacks explosiveness for a bantamweight player, skating still is above average, but he moves more like Caufield than Marner IMO. Brindley's offensive talent is pretty underrated, both have high end IQ.

Reactions: SECRET SQUIRREL

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad