C Gabriel Vilardi (2017, 11th, LAK)

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
No it isn't a ridiculous claim. Vilardi has every offensive tool you could want in a prospect other than blazing speed and agility. His hands are incredible, matched by his crisp, accurate passes. He seems to have a knack for knowing where his teammates are in the offensive zone, and makes high IQ passes and plays to set them up. I also find his shot to be quite underrated. The only thing holding him back from being a franchise level talent to me is his skating. Acceleration, lateral mobility, and top speed need work for him to have the perfect offensive arsenal. While Patrick is also very skilled himself, and is a noticeably better skater, I think he relies more on his strength relative to his peers than Vilatdi does to create offense, which I don't expect to translate quite as well to the NHL level. To me Vilardi processes the game at a faster rate than Patrick does.

100% agree. I also think Vilardi is one of those guys who have a very high ceiling and isn't close to it at all yet. A guy that's only going to get better as he gets older and especially as he improves his skating. Meanwhile I think Patrick is much closer to a "finished product" (don't misunderstand me here) and has less room to grow but overall just plays a complete and mature game. I think Vilardi has a lot higher offensive potential than Patrick. His offensive tools are amazing and he's a versatile player who can both pass and shoot (and play wing and center). I've been a big fan of this kid for a long time now and I think, if he's allowed to develop slowly and at his own pace, he could be a real star (potential franchise player) in the NHL.

UsernameWasTaken

Let's Go Hawks!
Feb 11, 2012
Toronto
Vilardi's overall game is good and his offensive skill set is very complete. His size is also good. The key for him is to keep working on the skating...that will dictate how close he can get to his ceiling.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto

Very disappointing, the 2017 draft class doesn't seem to be getting any breaks. This also most likely rules out any outside chance he had at a WJC spot.

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills

Very disappointing, the 2017 draft class doesn't seem to be getting any breaks. This also most likely rules out any outside chance he had at a WJC spot.

whaaaat. no way.
Google tells me recovery time is 4-6 weeks?
Unfortunate that this kid is out again. Patrick, Vialrdi and Liljegren the potential top 3 picks all missing time in their draft seasons. Has that ever happened in another draft?

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
whaaaat. no way.
Google tells me recovery time is 4-6 weeks?
Unfortunate that this kid is out again. Patrick, Vialrdi and Liljegren the potential top 3 picks all missing time in their draft seasons. Has that ever happened in another draft?
Rielly and Galchenyuk missed almost their entire season, while Yak and Murray missed sizeable amounts of time (10 games or more, not including WJC). Another top 10 pick (although somewhat of a surprise) also missed a bunch of time in Slater Koekkoek. It wasn't as noticeable because Forsberg and Grigorenko were hyped as top 5 picks, but it was a draft year decimated by injury. But this draft, which didn't look strong to start is starting to take major hits.

Maybe this has created a vacuum for a swiss player to be drafted 1OA (although I still think that is unlikely, but is getting more realistic by the day).

Marc the Habs Fan

Nov 30, 2002
Longueuil
He may not be out long. I know as a Habs fan, Patrick Roy missed 1 playoff game in 1994 and Pacioretty missed about 8 days in the lockout year after an appendectomy.

Get North

Aug 25, 2013
B.C.
Does this really affect his stock though? It's not a serious injury, many people get this stuff, and if he misses a month so what? Does he become less of a player, does he lose his talent? Scouts know what this kid is about, OHL scouts have known him since his midget days so they aren't concerned. He's been a top player wherever he has gone, 2nd overall pick in the OHL draft.

I just don't see how it "opens a door" or "hurts his chances". Sure, it's unfortunate, but meh, it just doesn't really bother what I think of him as a player. I know Hischier is talented and can jump ahead, but an injury that takes likely a month max isn't going to drop Vilardi. It shouldn't, it would make no sense IMO unless Hischier produces more and takes his game to another level IMO.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Does this really affect his stock though? It's not a serious injury, many people get this stuff, and if he misses a month so what? Does he become less of a player, does he lose his talent? Scouts know what this kid is about, OHL scouts have known him since his midget days so they aren't concerned. He's been a top player wherever he has gone, 2nd overall pick in the OHL draft.

I just don't see how it "opens a door" or "hurts his chances". Sure, it's unfortunate, but meh, it just doesn't really bother what I think of him as a player. I know Hischier is talented and can jump ahead, but an injury that takes likely a month max isn't going to drop Vilardi. It shouldn't, it would make no sense IMO unless Hischier produces more and takes his game to another level IMO.
It is more the constant stops and starts (first the leg injury, now this) limiting his ability to build momentum. It is not that it hurts his stock, it's more that it hurts his ability to improve it. With Logan Brown currently out, Vilardi had a good chance to show he was the best offensive player on Windsor, and more than anything, this may kill any chance he had to make the WJC, where a strong performance could of really helped his stock.

Get North

Aug 25, 2013
B.C.
It is more the constant stops and starts (first the leg injury, now this) limiting his ability to build momentum. It is not that it hurts his stock, it's more that it hurts his ability to improve it. With Logan Brown currently out, Vilardi had a good chance to show he was the best offensive player on Windsor, and more than anything, this may kill any chance he had to make the WJC, where a strong performance could of really helped his stock.
I guess it did affect his stock to go up to #1, but I think some lists would have him listed as #1 already or will soon. He shouldn't be out too long and hopefully miss only 5-6 games. I still don't see how Hischier would be jumping over Vilardi though unless Hischier continues to play at a higher level.

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
Every goal against that homer Saginaw colour commentator was crying. Seriously? How unprofessional, sounds like a diehard who should be watching from the stand if he's gonna be cheering like that

Haha yeah, that was pretty odd.

Hammer Slammer

Mar 26, 2010
Winnipeg
Every goal against that homer Saginaw colour commentator was crying. Seriously? How unprofessional, sounds like a diehard who should be watching from the stand if he's gonna be cheering like that

The colour guy for Saginaw is so annoying. You don't need to sigh or grunt or grumble about broken plays when the opposition scores. Just be quiet and provide your dumb thoughts after the play by play guy stops talking.

Solid return to the lineup for Vilardi anyhow.

Sticks and Pucks

Jan 2, 2008
Not that they're similar players or anything like that but anyone else here see a lot of parallels between Vilardi's career path and Dylan Strome's? Both second overall picks in the OHL draft, both had under 40 points in their 16-year-old season and both lit it up in their draft years. Vilardi might go third overall as well.

JA

Gabe Vilardi and the Windsor Spitfires are on Sportsnet 360 at 7:00 PM ET / 4:00 PM PT today.

PrinceOfPucks

Jan 4, 2016
Underwhelmed with his game. Such a polarizing player .. an be drafted anywhere from 4th to 10th.

Plays like Joe Thornton imo

JA

Underwhelmed with his game. Such a polarizing player .. an be drafted anywhere from 4th to 10th.

Plays like Joe Thornton imo
He definitely struggled to make an impact in today's game, in my opinion. His foot speed holds him back from reaching the puck and being involved more often; he was a little bit behind the play, and in the defensive zone he was slow to pressure the opponent. There was not much room for him to receive passes or make plays. He needs to work on his skating ability. He will struggle at the next level if he can not improve on this, as his opponent will contain him.

When he had the puck and room to maneuver, however, he was poised. He looked confident in the 3-on-3 overtime, as he had more space to work with and more room to pick up speed.

His shootout goal was the game winner -- the magic wand, followed by a top-corner snap shot.

I see an Alexander Frolov type of player.

Last edited by a moderator:

wings5

Jan 6, 2008
He definitely struggled to make an impact in today's game, in my opinion. His foot speed holds him back from reaching the puck and being involved more often; he was a little bit behind the play, and in the defensive zone he was slow to pressure the opponent. There was not much room for him to receive passes or make plays. He needs to work on his skating ability. He will struggle at the next level if he can not improve on this, as his opponent will contain him.

When he had the puck and room to maneuver, however, he was poised. He looked confident in the 3-on-3 overtime, as he had more space to work with and more room to pick up speed.

His shootout goal was the game winner -- the magic wand, followed by a top-corner snap shot.

If he can gain some speed, I see a Marian Hossa type of player.

Hossa in his prime was pretty fast, seems Vilardi might have the same problems as Dal Colle.

JA

Hossa in his prime was pretty fast, seems Vilardi might have the same problems as Dal Colle.
I gave it some thought and didn't agree with my initial conclusion. Vilardi's game is a lot more bullish, and I can see him becoming stronger as he ages. I was trying to think of a more apt comparison, and the player who came to mind was Alexander Frolov, a crafty, heavy player with a great shot, quick hands, and a fairly well-rounded game. He had some good years in Los Angeles. He wasn't particularly fast either.
I got to see Frolov here in Columbus Wed. night, from close range (I'm usually up in the cheapies).

Pretty impressive. Big, w/good defensive presence. Nice moves, especially on the wrap-around (I was sitting right behind that goal, about 6 rows up). Good all-around player.
Frolov has a rare combination of skills. He has size and is strong on the puck. He also has good puck handling and plays good defense. I might say a blend of Allison and Palffy.
Frolov played the first part of the season on the "energy line" (read 3rd liners at best) with naught for PP time and saw absolutely tons of PK time and still has a fantastic +/- at 15. For a young lad in his second year to be THE PK option for his team to have that big of a +/- is quite a feat and one that none other in the league has.

A couple of months ago he also started seeing legitimate time up front and now has 39 points to go with his +/- 15. He *rarely* gets set up for his goals meaning he has to do loads of his own work for them. Not that Nash does, just pointing out an observation for Frolovs skills.

Frolov plays a disciplined two way game. Is his teams leading PK forward. (right there) is one of the leagues top +/- players and is 3 points behind Nash in scoring.

Like I said, it depends on what you need. If you need an all around LW who will get you points and play a smart game then it is Frolov
the kid (frolov) has size, the ability to play a two-way game, tremendous upside that he is already realizing, and he's more surefire than either nederost or vrbata. Alex will be the prototype scoring winger of the future.
Frolov is currently at 7 goals and 8 assists and is a plus 8. He plays both ends of the ice and is starting show glimpses of being a dominant player. The thing with this fellow is that he isn't just a sniper, he is the total game and is just starting to show what he can do. He plays allot of time with guys who would have a hard time making most NHL teams 3rd and 4rth lines and he is still producing offensively. He is playing that *european power forward* style of game. Not a true PF mind you, but close as a european player at his age is going to get. Not that he is the best player in the league or anything close, it's just that the kid is the real deal and is proving it most every night. I would stick with him rather than gamble on two other prospects who have yet to show that they can pan out in a like manner. Not that they are bad prospects, just that Frolov is already showing he deserves his *elite* (as much as any young player does) tag and that makes him a bit more of a value. I think anyway but really, what do I know.
Frolov was 6'2'' 191 lbs when he was drafted. He played in Los Angeles between 205 lbs and 215 lbs. Gabe is 6'2'' 193 lbs right now, and he'll probably end up playing within the same weight class.

Last edited by a moderator:

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
If he can improve on his first few steps he could be a real player. Otherwise I see him as a solid support player. As long as he works at it his skating will improve by how much I'm not sure but even if it's a little bit his floor could be a very solid bottom 6 guy with scoring ability. He has some risk that is for sure but some reward as well. It all depends on his drive to get better.

SpItFiReZ

Jan 4, 2004
The whole team played poorly tonight. I was talking to people around me and I said this is a good game to show on national TV. Vilardi's skating is deceptive and not as bad as it looks because its somewhat of an awkward posture. Ideally, he needs to gain another step to his skating but he has improved from last year and expect he will take another step forward this year as he plans on working on his skating all summer.

That said, he's probably our best forward here in Windsor even with Brown and the Bracco addition. Appendicitis and his ankle injury have set him back twice so far this season which has made everyone grumble about how good he is. He's extremely talented with the puck, intelligent and can think the game and has an excellent release and shot but also aggressive and willing to play that grinding game, cycling the puck in the corners in your face type attitude you want. He's no slouch in the defensive zone either.

I don't like making comparisons but one I heard and thought was alright was a Kopitar lite without the top defensive ability. Think he could be an excellent top 6 forward (ideally C) with 50-60 point potential consistently.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad