C Gabriel Vilardi (2017, 11th, LAK)

Frolov 6'3

Unregistered User
Jun 7, 2003
The Netherlands
I have read the entire GDT of this years draft from Vancouver, Detroit and Florida. Most Detroit fans here on this site didnt even want Vilardi but for some reason they keep popping up. :) No offense.

Much more different it was with Vancouver and Florida.

Last edited:

Redder Winger

May 4, 2017
I have read the entire GDT of this years draft from Vancouver, Detroit and Florida. Most Detroit fans here on this site didnt even want Vilardi but for some reason they keep popping up. :) No offense.

Much more different it was with Vancouver and Florida.

Because there are some Detroit fans, even now, who defend every stupid f***ing thing this organization does.

Dominance

99-66-4-9-87/97
Sep 30, 2017
The Land of Hockey
He is utterly dominant, there’s no other term for it. Skating is not even close to a concern, like watch a game, lol. He comes back and works damn hard in his own end, too. At wing or at centre, LA has an absolute gem. My pick for best player to come out of the 2017 draft class before the draft and probably still to this day. Between he and Pettersson - and a host of other guys, too (looking at Frost and Thomas and others drafted later in particular) - I don’t think the 2017 draft will go down as even close to a “weak” class.

He also scores so many different ways.

WonderTwinsUnite

May 28, 2007
BC
Was stunned when Vilardi fell, and still am. He should have gone top 4 at the draft, assuming there weren't already concerns about his injury (don't know the timeline on that). Kings got a steal.

Reactions: 99664987

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
He is utterly dominant, there’s no other term for it. Skating is not even close to a concern, like watch a game, lol. He comes back and works damn hard in his own end, too. At wing or at centre, LA has an absolute gem. My pick for best player to come out of the 2017 draft class before the draft and probably still to this day. Between he and Pettersson - and a host of other guys, too (looking at Frost and Thomas and others drafted later in particular) - I don’t think the 2017 draft will go down as even close to a “weak” class.

He also scores so many different ways.

Yeah, I like that it's not limited to Vilardi, a lot of these guys are proving people wrong in various ways. But my goodness, kid is utterly dominant at this level.

Reactions: 99664987

zharkenby

Jun 17, 2011
Better than Glass?
Better than Pettersson so yes. I’m a devil fan and to be quite honest if we got the second pick, this is the guy I’d want us to take right now. He was ranked 3rd all year for a reason. Incredible arsenal of skills with off the charts strength, and good size. He’s going to be a good one and teams (NYR specifically) are going to regret passing him hp

Elias Pettersson

I'm not a troll
Jan 22, 2014
Better than Pettersson so yes. I’m a devil fan and to be quite honest if we got the second pick, this is the guy I’d want us to take right now. He was ranked 3rd all year for a reason. Incredible arsenal of skills with off the charts strength, and good size. He’s going to be a good one and teams (NYR specifically) are going to regret passing him hp
What does Pettersson have to do with it? I think you're just mad at the Hischier Pettersson comparisons. Stop going through life so easily triggered fam

Anyway i would definitely says Vilardi has higher upside than Glass

zharkenby

Jun 17, 2011
What does Pettersson have to do with it? I think you're just mad at the Hischier Pettersson comparisons. Stop going through life so easily triggered fam

Anyway i would definitely says Vilardi has higher upside than Glass
And higher upside than petterson. There is no Hischier petterson comp for reasons that have been explained directly to you multiple times. Vilardi is the full package. Size strength skill. He just needs to get a bit faster and he’s ready to produce in the nhl. I don’t think you can say that quite yet about any other forward from the draft

Reactions: KingTrouty

Hatter of the Beach

I’m the real hero
Jun 26, 2017
Parkland Estates, Florida
I think teams have a pretty good idea of who they're picking and are hesitant to switch.

I can't understand Detroit drafting Rasmussen over Vilardi. But somewhere, sometime on draft day or before, Detroit decided on Rasmussen. They probably debated it. They probably had to come to some consensus. Someone had to make a case for him and Holland and Co had to buy in.
Then once you buy in, you start imagining it and telling yourself why it's the right move.

Then on draft day, Vilardi falls and you're already sold on someone else. You've already envisioned your guy.
I have heard from people in the know that I trust that if the Wings weren’t picking Rasmussen, they were going to more than likely take Necas. They also took Cal Foote and Suzuki out for dinner.

Vilardi didn’t interview well supposedly, which is a stupid reason, but impacted several team’s perception of him.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
I have heard from people in the know that I trust that if the Wings weren’t picking Rasmussen, they were going to more than likely take Necas. They also took Cal Foote and Suzuki out for dinner.

Vilardi didn’t interview well supposedly, which is a stupid reason, but impacted several team’s perception of him.

That would make more sense. That would make THREE factors worth questioning--interviews, injuries, skating.

elYankee

Jul 8, 2007
La Antigua Guatemala
More impressive (and in my opinion, more important) than his PP/G is his P1/G. It only counts goals and primary assists (secondary assists say a lot more about your teammates than you as a player).

He leads the OHL with 1.73 P1/G, and its not close. Kyrou is 2nd at 1.41 and Svechnikov is 3rd at 1.34. I know its only 15 games but damn....

Edit: a few spelling errors

Last edited:

TeddyBare

Jul 28, 2016
Mississauga, Ontario
And higher upside than petterson. There is no Hischier petterson comp for reasons that have been explained directly to you multiple times. Vilardi is the full package. Size strength skill. He just needs to get a bit faster and he’s ready to produce in the nhl. I don’t think you can say that quite yet about any other forward from the draft

It's definitely not upside.
But he is the most NHL ready player hands down, without a doubt. He'll step right in the 3rd line center spot pretty seamlessly.
I'd say Pettersson is another year away after this one at least.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad