C Easton Cowan - London Knights, OHL (2023, 28th, TOR)

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Even little details like converting Kapanen, Nylander, Marner, etc into penalty killers after they’re already established as skill guys vs having someone who’s been optimizing their game for the role before they hit pro. A lot of the 3rd wheels that the big 4 have had tend to defer too much to the 4 on 2 on 1 rushes, just the sheer amount of clinical breakaway execution Cowan and Barkey have gotten reps on is already better value than getting reps on running a PP or some other puck dominant role he won’t get an opportunity for in pro.
Just want to add, Marner was used as a PKer for Dale as a 17-year-old, and constantly PK'd his 18 year old season on that legendary 2015/16 Knights team. Dale loved that kid and had immense faith in him. Now, I don't think Cowan is close to Mitch as a prospect, but, it's nice to see another Knight that Dale also loves as a player in our system, and is trusted in crucial moments. Marner's hockey Iq has always been insanely high, and he's great at creating breakouts (especially when he was in the OHL) off of reading passing lanes. Now, Nylander becoming an occasional PKer is surprising.

peconcan

Apr 24, 2020
Looking like a good pick so far, but let’s not get ahead of our selves he’s still not putting up Marner numbers and I wouldn’t expect him to get 61 points next year either. Hopefully he can have a better rookie season than Knies. Knies Domi/Tavares Cowan could be a pretty good 3rd line next year

• Haha
Reactions: dj Mahoney

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS
Looking like a good pick so far, but let’s not get ahead of our selves he’s still not putting up Marner numbers and I wouldn’t expect him to get 61 points next year either. Hopefully he can have a better rookie season than Knies. Knies Domi/Tavares Cowan could be a pretty good 3rd line next year
Get ahead of ourselves? Has like one single person had the expectation that he is going to be better then or is better then Marner? Seems like a completely made up thing.

Peasy

May 25, 2012
Star Shoppin
His draft thread on the Leafs board is also good for a laugh.
Crazy how strong of opinions people can have about someone after just hearing their name for the first time and doing a quick look at their stats and height/weight.

Was completely fine with the pick when it happened, was a little surprised, but was fine with seeing how it would play out. I heard from people in the media that follow the OHL closely being quite high on him, and he only got better as the season went on which is always a positive sign. Now I'm more than happy with the pick thats for sure.

Think its a toss up for him making the team next year. RN I'd probably be leaning towards letting him spend another year in junior. But his ELC would be valuable to have next year on the Leafs with the Matthews/Nylander raises and it being Tavares' final year. I'm sure he will impress in pre-season again next year, but pre-season is no where near the pace of the regular season.

Mitch nylander

One of the biggest fans from a bipolar fanbase
Jun 2, 2016
OHL.com doesn't have the point streaks published prior to 1998. Where does 34 put him all time now, cause he's got the longest since 98.

2 primary points tonight now

Rants Mulliniks

Jun 22, 2008
Just want to add, Marner was used as a PKer for Dale as a 17-year-old, and constantly PK'd his 18 year old season on that legendary 2015/16 Knights team. Dale loved that kid and had immense faith in him. Now, I don't think Cowan is close to Mitch as a prospect, but, it's nice to see another Knight that Dale also loves as a player in our system, and is trusted in crucial moments. Marner's hockey Iq has always been insanely high, and he's great at creating breakouts (especially when he was in the OHL) off of reading passing lanes. Now, Nylander becoming an occasional PKer is surprising.
Yeah Marner had some of the most epic PK I have ever seen when he was with London. Like in the vein of a Max Bentley, just ragging the puck end to end to end and killing the whole 2 minutes by himself.

Reactions: 93LEAFS

Jimmy Firecracker

Fire Sheldon.
Mar 30, 2010
Mississauga
Another goal and assist today to extend his streak to 36 games. Passes Bedard and Stankoven and is the third longest CHL point streak since 2000, one behind Crosby.

Not sure why he’s not getting more buzz.

Leafs aren't rebuilding so fans aren't hyper-focused on prospects or feel the need to brag about the future in the prospect forum in the midst of a miserable season. Other fans aren't going to bother talking up a prospect on a rival team unless there are other factors, like he's a fellow countryman or something.

In any event, Cowan has greatly exceeded expectations after being perceived as a reach last draft. Don't know how soon he'll make the jump to the NHL but his ceiling has definitely risen after his D+1 year.

Reactions: Dion TheFluff
Sep 18, 2009
Leafs aren't rebuilding so fans aren't hyper-focused on prospects or feel the need to brag about the future in the prospect forum in the midst of a miserable season. Other fans aren't going to bother talking up a prospect on a rival team unless there are other factors, like he's a fellow countryman or something.

In any event, Cowan has greatly exceeded expectations after being perceived as a reach last draft. Don't know how soon he'll make the jump to the NHL but his ceiling has definitely risen after his D+1 year.
where would he go in a redraft

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad