C David Goyette - Sudbury Wolves, OHL (2022, 61st, SEA)

LastWordArmy

Sep 11, 2011
Canada
Drafted with the 11th overall pick in the 2020 OHL Draft, Sudbury Wolves centre David Goyette was unable to play in 2020-21 as the entire season was wiped out due to the Covid pandemic. He made up for it in 2021-22, attracting a ton of attention as he led all OHL rookies in both goals and points. Goyette put up 33 goals and 40 assists for 73 points in 66 regular-season games. He did it all on a rebuilding Sudbury team that would go on to miss the playoffs. Goyette joined Team Canada for the IIHF Under-18 World Championships. While it was a disappointing tournament for the Canadian team, Goyette performed well. He scored a goal and two assists for three points in four games.

Dominance

99-66-4-9-87/97
Sep 30, 2017
The Land of Hockey
Goyette is an interesting case study in how fickle prospect rankings can be. A strong riser all season long, he has steadily fallen down many draft rankings deep into the second round - while not playing any games.

Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
?

Monahan walked straight into the NHL and scored 22 goals the next year. Then 31 in his draft +2.

His career has absolutely tanked at a young age as a result of multiple injuries but young Monahan was absolutely a dynamic player.
He was not a dynamic player at any point of his career. He was a good scorer though.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
He was not a dynamic player at any point of his career. He was a good scorer though.

Any player who can step into the NHL as a teenager and score 20+ goals is a dynamic talent relative to his age group.

I mean, yes, on the list of 'guys who have scored over 80 points in a season' over the last decade, his skillset would be amongst the least dynamic. But that's a very small window to be looking through.

For the purposes of this discussion, the fact that Monahan destroyed the OHL in his draft year on a terrible team with zero scoring help was - like the others mentioned - a pretty good tell that this was a dynamic prospect ready to move up levels quickly and contribute.

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
Draisaitl in 2014 is another.

It's a pretty good tell of a dynamic player, and usually one who is being under-valued.

I think particularly with his U18s he's definitely being undervalued as a mid 2nd round pick. He's one of the best skaters in the draft, and definitely has skill far outstripping his ranking.

It's pretty remarkable how much progress he made through the year. Before christmas his PPG was 0.81. From New Year, his PPG leaped by more than 50% to 1.3. I think he'll have a monster year in the OHL next season.

Reactions: bert and Dominance

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Goyette is an interesting case study in how fickle prospect rankings can be. A strong riser all season long, he has steadily fallen down many draft rankings deep into the second round - while not playing any games.
One of the most skilled players in the draft. Its a little mind boggling. Alot of similarities to Giroux in his draft year for me. Comes from an under scouted spot in Ontario. Was a rookie in the league in his draft year while lighting it up.

Samsquanch

Raging Bull Squatch
Nov 28, 2008
Sudbury
One of the most skilled players in the draft. Its a little mind boggling. Alot of similarities to Giroux in his draft year for me. Comes from an under scouted spot in Ontario. Was a rookie in the league in his draft year while lighting it up.

I made the same comparison a month ago. Huge Giroux vibes every time I saw him play, along with the stature and strong french roots.

And in all fairness to my sad Wolves - had covid not happened, Byfield would have possibly played the last two seasons in Sudbury (and likely would have been a better player for it), which would have caused a butterfly effect with other moves and players (like Stillman leaving) that would have made them much more competitive than they were.

But fate/covid had other plans for us, unfortunately... Next season could be a much better one though with Pharand and Musty among the young talent that could breakout next season and support Goyette - who will tear it up. Mark my words.

Reactions: howlman

Wallet Inspector

Jan 19, 2013
Still too early to say but Seattle seems like they're doing a good job with their 2nd and 3rd round picks, that's crucial for a rebuild(or I guess just a build in their case).

Reactions: NiagaraKraken

WeThe North

Jun 7, 2021
He starts 2023 like he finished it with 4 pts tonight. He’s our best player every single game. Put anybody with him and they start producing instantly.

25 goals 26 passes 51 pts in 31 games. 5th overall in the OHL with the fewest games played.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad