C Curtis Lazar (2013, 17th overall, Ottawa)

LuckyPierre

Jul 1, 2010
He scored a nice goal last night against my Devils, how's he been looking of late?

He plays an airtight game, but he's tentative out there.

He's focused on getting the puck out of the defensive zone whether controlled or uncontrolled. Uses basic neutral zone strategy aimed at getting the puck deep and making a hit. In the offensive zone, he's not a playmaker; he'll either shoot from range or defer possession and net drive. He's been snakebitten on several golden in-tight opportunities, so with any luck he'd have >5 goals by now. In terms of physicality, he often lays the body, but doesn't have the inertia to lay anyone out at this point. And in board battles, he gets leaned on and loses his footing once or twice a game, but can carry on a cycle fairly effectively when he stays on his feet.

Good skater, focuses on the fundamentals. Has more tools to use and more gears to shift into, but hasn't come out of his shell yet.

SenzZen

RIP, GOAT
Jan 31, 2011
Ottawa
He scored a nice goal last night against my Devils, how's he been looking of late?

He plays an airtight game, but he's tentative out there.

He's focused on getting the puck out of the defensive zone whether controlled or uncontrolled. Uses basic neutral zone strategy aimed at getting the puck deep and making a hit. In the offensive zone, he's not a playmaker; he'll either shoot from range or defer possession and net drive. He's been snakebitten on several golden in-tight opportunities, so with any luck he'd have >5 goals by now. In terms of physicality, he often lays the body, but doesn't have the inertia to lay anyone out at this point. And in board battles, he gets leaned on and loses his footing once or twice a game, but can carry on a cycle fairly effectively when he stays on his feet.

Good skater, focuses on the fundamentals. Has more tools to use and more gears to shift into, but hasn't come out of his shell yet.

LeTigre pretty well nails it. He's one of those cases that would benefit greatly from playing in the AHL this season, but can't play there. I'll admit to being a little concerned with how his development is affected because of that. Too keen to defer to others in open ice. At least at this stage.

His attention to detail is remarkable for a player his age, but we already have one Condra...

Vesa Awesaka

#KeepTheSenate
Jul 4, 2013
He plays way to safe although hes really not asked to be some creative offensive juggernaut it'd be nice to see him try some creative thing or hold the puck more instead of dump and chase. Has a really nice shot but doesnt use it enough. One thing thats surprised me is his speed. He's probably one of the fastest players on the team behind Hoffman and karlsson. Guy has burned a few defenders for breakaway or semi breakaways. Imo you can see that energizer bunny quality in him where he plays pretty hard and fast.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
He plays way to safe although hes really not asked to be some creative offensive juggernaut it'd be nice to see him try some creative thing or hold the puck more instead of dump and chase. Has a really nice shot but doesnt use it enough. One thing thats surprised me is his speed. He's probably one of the fastest players on the team behind Hoffman and karlsson. Guy has burned a few defenders for breakaway or semi breakaways. Imo you can see that energizer bunny quality in him where he plays pretty hard and fast.

From my limited NHL viewings of him, it seems like he is either too hesitant to make something happen offensively, or he's having trouble adjusting to the size and speed of defenseman this level.

As a junior, he was never the most creative guys, relied a lot on his speed and shot, flying down the wing and beating the goalie with a heavy wrister. That sort of offensive game doesn't typically transition well.

Earlier in the thread I compared him to a Brandon Sutter type player with a little more upside, do people still think that's a terrible comparison?

GreatStateofHockey

Oct 2, 2011
From my limited NHL viewings of him, it seems like he is either too hesitant to make something happen offensively, or he's having trouble adjusting to the size and speed of defenseman this level.

As a junior, he was never the most creative guys, relied a lot on his speed and shot, flying down the wing and beating the goalie with a heavy wrister. That sort of offensive game doesn't typically transition well.

Earlier in the thread I compared him to a Brandon Sutter type player with a little more upside, do people still think that's a terrible comparison?

Probably, because the Sen's don't think their most recent first rounder will turn into a gritty 3rd line player. He's got a ton of upside, and while it's clear that he will be a great defensive forward in this league its hard to judge his offensive potential as he just turned 20 a couple of days ago. I certainly think he's got all the tools to become great offensively as well, he just needs to become more comfortable in the NHL.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007

He doesn't have great hands nor does he seem to have great offensive instincts

I think he'll top out as a 30-40 point guy with intangibles and all that jazz: elite 3rd line centre

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005

I've watched him a bit more over the past couple months and the Brandon Sutter comparison is still what comes to mind first. He's at 6g 7a 13p in 61 gp.

What are people's expectations for him next season?

GreatStateofHockey

Oct 2, 2011
I've watched him a bit more over the past couple months and the Brandon Sutter comparison is still what comes to mind first. He's at 6g 7a 13p in 61 gp.

What are people's expectations for him next season?

That would be a very low end projection. Lazar has been great this past month. He has a great shot , is a great skater and is also defensively responsible. Sutter is a good player, but something would have to go wrong for Lazar to end up a perennial 30 point player. I'm really just not sure why you use that comparison as Lazar's potential is more like a 30-30 guy who can play in all situations.

WhiteLight*

He'll never pull off sick dangles or have eyes on the back of his head, but everything else about his game is great. He's been great in March, we're starting to see the hockey sense kick in. He was always good defensively but he's starting to drive defenders nuts in the offensive zone with his forecheck, picking off puck, lifting sticks, ... and starting to show more confidence offensively. Nice to see

I expect 30 points next year. Settling in at 50 eventually. He's fun

Boud

Dec 27, 2011
I think a good comparison for him on upside would be Dustin Brown. A guy with limited skill that can play in a top 6 role with more talented players and drive the net, shake things up and go to the dirty areas. Another one I'd have who's probably very realistic is Mike Fisher. Guy who can play in any situation, PK, PP and that can play bottom 6 or top 6 and at centre or on the wings. I'd say 50-60 points is a good target for him. He'll never be your go to guy but he'll be the kind of player everybody wants on their team. Like Cameron has said many times this season, when he's on the ice you know exactly what you're gonna get from him. Very mature already.

sanitysrequiem

Nov 14, 2009
I think a good comparison for him on upside would be Dustin Brown. A guy with limited skill that can play in a top 6 role with more talented players and drive the net, shake things up and go to the dirty areas. Another one I'd have who's probably very realistic is Mike Fisher. Guy who can play in any situation, PK, PP and that can play bottom 6 or top 6 and at centre or on the wings. I'd say 50-60 points is a good target for him. He'll never be your go to guy but he'll be the kind of player everybody wants on their team. Like Cameron has said many times this season, when he's on the ice you know exactly what you're gonna get from him. Very mature already.

Dustin Brown has/had a LOT more skill than you're giving him credit for.

Boud

Dec 27, 2011
Dustin Brown has/had a LOT more skill than you're giving him credit for.

Curtis Lazar has more skill than you're giving him credit for then. They play the same style, literally same style. They have same intangibles and both are similar size. Dustin Brown is not Alexei Kovalev and Curtis Lazar isn't either. They both have skill but they're not what comes in mind when talking about a skilled player at all. They both aren't flashy players, they do what they do. My comment was to assess what kind of player Lazar could project to be in the years to come if he pans out and not to compare if he could do Tarasenko dangles better than Brown ornot.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
That would be a very low end projection. Lazar has been great this past month. He has a great shot , is a great skater and is also defensively responsible. Sutter is a good player, but something would have to go wrong for Lazar to end up a perennial 30 point player. I'm really just not sure why you use that comparison as Lazar's potential is more like a 30-30 guy who can play in all situations.

I just don't see it, he lacks the offensive awareness. Sutter is also a great skater with a very underrated shot coming down his off-wing, and is obviously great defensively. He scored 21 goals and 40 points as a 21 year old in the NHL.

I've mentioned the Dustin Brown comparison in the past as well, especially if he moves to wing.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
I just don't see it, he lacks the offensive awareness. Sutter is also a great skater with a very underrated shot coming down his off-wing, and is obviously great defensively. He scored 21 goals and 40 points as a 21 year old in the NHL.

I've mentioned the Dustin Brown comparison in the past as well, especially if he moves to wing.

I would guess Lazar will hit 20-20 in his 21 year old season as well. At least.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
He doesn't have great hands nor does he seem to have great offensive instincts

I think he'll top out as a 30-40 point guy with intangibles and all that jazz: elite 3rd line centre

Youre truly a what have you done for me lately kinda guy eh. Look at Dustin Browns career projecting someone as a rookie that just turned 20 into what they are right now isnt how to look a players.

Lazar has looked alot better lately quicker, more agile and more confident.

Captain Clutch

May 2, 2012
I honestly don't see the Dustin Brown comparison in any event. Brown is a much edgier more physical player than Lazar (Brown has averaged over 200 hits a season over a 10 year career) though its true that they are both 200 ft players and are leaders. Offensively, its really far too early to say on Lazar but the fact that he was not a huge scorer in junior would seem to indicate that we should have more modest expectations for him in the NHL, my guess would be 30-35 points per year, a career plus player with good advanced stats and a valuable contributor on the PK unit. I think expecting anything materially above that is setting oneself up for disappointment.

Bileur

Jun 15, 2004
Ottawa
I honestly don't see the Dustin Brown comparison in any event. Brown is a much edgier more physical player than Lazar (Brown has averaged over 200 hits a season over a 10 year career) though its true that they are both 200 ft players and are leaders. Offensively, its really far too early to say on Lazar but the fact that he was not a huge scorer in junior would seem to indicate that we should have more modest expectations for him in the NHL, my guess would be 30-35 points per year, a career plus player with good advanced stats and a valuable contributor on the PK unit. I think expecting anything materially above that is setting oneself up for disappointment.

Brown does seem nastier but to be fair Lazar finishes his checks every time. His pace is for 200+ hits in little over 4th line ice time.

Dr.Sens(e)

Feb 27, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site
Brown is a unique player, and not a great comparison. Brown is a beast in front of he net and has a tremendous frame. Always has. Lazar will never be as phsyical in front of the net or draw as many penalties (who does?).

That said, Lazar is quite a bit better skater and likely a better release, plus brings his own unique blend of intangibles. He probably smiled more in his last NHL game than Brown has in his career on the ice. Not sure what that means, other than very different forms of leadership and enthusiasm (besides playing style differences).

For what it's worth, Lazar has been tremendous over the last month and it will be a surprise if he doesn't score 15-20 next year. And that's if he remains off the PP. He'll score more if and when he gets some PP time. He looks great.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site

He scored at an almost identical clip to brown in Jr. He also hits everything that moves. I dont think you have watched Lazar much if at all.

YEGJuniorFan

Dec 3, 2009
Edmonton
Brown is a good comparison for Lazar. Both are physical and great two-way players. To the poster who said Lazar never scored much in junior, he scored 41 goals in 58 games...

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
I am reading a lot of comments from Senators fans that Lazar is having a hard time transitioning his offense to the NHL and is still a bit panicky with the puck? Looking at his stats . . . 8 goals 12 assists in 95 career games seems a bit underwhelming for a guy who was supposedly going to be way better than Brandon Sutter.

Is the thought that he's still on trajectory to be a solid top 6 center / captain material?

Jerrico

Jan 21, 2007
I am reading a lot of comments from Senators fans that Lazar is having a hard time transitioning his offense to the NHL and is still a bit panicky with the puck? Looking at his stats . . . 8 goals 12 assists in 95 career games seems a bit underwhelming for a guy who was supposedly going to be way better than Brandon Sutter.

Is the thought that he's still on trajectory to be a solid top 6 center / captain material?

In my opinion, Lazar will top out as a good third-line centre. He simply doesn't have the offensive talent or vision to be a top-6 player.

15 G 20 A 35 PTS in his prime years.

I hope I am wrong though.

David Bruce Banner

Nude Cabdriver Ban
Mar 25, 2008
Streets Ahead
Probably a good 3rd liner, but it's not out of the question that everyting could suddenly click and he could ratchet his game up a line. HfBoards is very quick to judge guys who don't excel immediately. Give him another year or two and we'll see what he's really got.

Regardless, one of my favourite young NHL'ers and he would be welcome on my team any time.

Clamshells

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Aug 11, 2009

He will probably be like what Couturier is now... excellent defensively, and always questioning if he can take that next step offensively.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Anyone who thought Lazar had anything beyond the offensive skill set of a third liner is on crack. He's a heart and soul type, and he made it work in the OHL. He's a great player to have, but he's never going to be an offensive go-to option. Ever.

Your credibility suffers from the fact that he did not play in the OHL.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad