C Carson Rehkopf - Kitchener Rangers, OHL (2023, 50th, SEA)

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
Interested to see where he ends up next June. Even with this performance his stats look only "solid"...his actual production seems to ebb and flow but he's strongly built and skates well and seems to have a lot of phsycial tools. The games where he "pops", he really seems to pop.

My question is - is this a kid with big upside playing on a mediocre low-scoring team this season or his a big, toolsy junior player who is going to translate to more of a checking-line player at the NHL level because he doesn't quite have that natural elite vision and skillset needed as you ascend to the highest level?

Reactions: GermanSpitfire
Mar 12, 2009
Interested to see where he ends up next June. Even with this performance his stats look only "solid"...his actual production seems to ebb and flow but he's strongly built and skates well and seems to have a lot of phsycial tools. The games where he "pops", he really seems to pop.

My question is - is this a kid with big upside playing on a mediocre low-scoring team this season or his a big, toolsy junior player who is going to translate to more of a checking-line player at the NHL level because he doesn't quite have that natural elite vision and skillset needed as you ascend to the highest level?
I can answer to this part at least. The Rangers haven't been a particularily high scoring team and they are vastly underperforming expectations and with what they have on paper. Rehkopf has been one of the guys shuffled around more than others and even put on the 3rd line to try and spread out scoring.
I don't know the answer with certainty to the rest of your questions, but he definitely looks like a guy that has what some scouts call a "pro style game". Skating, size, puck skills all point to NHL upside, this coaching staff in particular (and has been a trend for the Rangers for a few years) tends to get less than the sum of the teams parts and are iffy on the development track record of late.
I like his shot and hand-eye when it comes to shooting and receiving passes.

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
I can answer to this part at least. The Rangers haven't been a particularily high scoring team and they are vastly underperforming expectations and with what they have on paper. Rehkopf has been one of the guys shuffled around more than others and even put on the 3rd line to try and spread out scoring.
I don't know the answer with certainty to the rest of your questions, but he definitely looks like a guy that has what some scouts call a "pro style game". Skating, size, puck skills all point to NHL upside, this coaching staff in particular (and has been a trend for the Rangers for a few years) tends to get less than the sum of the teams parts and are iffy on the development track record of late.
I like his shot and hand-eye when it comes to shooting and receiving passes.
Very informative! Thanks!

Mar 12, 2009
IMO Rehkopfs production is suffering in part due to how poorly the Kitchener Rangers systems have been implemented, as seen by the team falling short of expectations by a drastic margin. All season he's been bounced around the first 3 lines, getting a couple games here and their in the top 6 at wing and doing well, then getting shoved back to the 3C (apparently to try and spread out the offence). His usage by the coach has been kind of all over the place, despite showing very well when given more minutes; and then we added several high end veteran players, pushing him once again to 3C.

Tim Wallach

Oct 9, 2007
Kitchener, Ontario
Kinda reminds me of James Neal
Similar build, but nowhere near the toughness and net front presence Neal had. Skates like him though and very similar shot, just needs to improve the accuracy. Rehkopf has all the physical tools needed to succeed, but he'll need a lot of good coaching and development, which he is not getting in Kitchener.

He can be a low IQ player and woefully uncommitted on the defensive side of the puck. He gets lost on the backcheck and often 10-15 feet from where he needs to be without ever clueing in. When he's at his best, he is busting hard on the backcheck and using his vision. He is notorious for setting his feet improperly in the offensive zone and giving the D an easy read on his lack of options. All things that are fixable and if a coach/staff can unlock his potential and improve his game speed brain, he has first round tools.

DatDude44

Hmmmm?
Feb 23, 2012
Similar build, but nowhere near the toughness and net front presence Neal had. Skates like him though and very similar shot, just needs to improve the accuracy. Rehkopf has all the physical tools needed to succeed, but he'll need a lot of good coaching and development, which he is not getting in Kitchener.

He can be a low IQ player and woefully uncommitted on the defensive side of the puck. He gets lost on the backcheck and often 10-15 feet from where he needs to be without ever clueing in. When he's at his best, he is busting hard on the backcheck and using his vision. He is notorious for setting his feet improperly in the offensive zone and giving the D an easy read on his lack of options. All things that are fixable and if a coach/staff can unlock his potential and improve his game speed brain, he has first round tools.
I hope for carsons sake he doesn't skate like Neal.....

Habsrule

Jun 13, 2004
He has been playing really good over the last month or so. He has been doing many end to end rushes and either blowing by or deking his way past defenders. Problem is that many times he tends to do it all himself and turns the puck over.

He has the tools that scouts look for. 6’2, centre, great shot, good hands. He has a bit of a funny skating style. He is a lot more upright than others. He has good speed so it is not really an issue but I wonder with some skating training he may add more of a speed element to his game.

Torts

Aug 21, 2009
Ontario
He has been playing really good over the last month or so. He has been doing many end to end rushes and either blowing by or deking his way past defenders. Problem is that many times he tends to do it all himself and turns the puck over.

He has the tools that scouts look for. 6’2, centre, great shot, good hands. He has a bit of a funny skating style. He is a lot more upright than others. He has good speed so it is not really an issue but I wonder with some skating training he may add more of a speed element to his game.
I find it (his skating style) similar to Jack Eichel's.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
My in depth look at Rehkopf.

This article helps. When I’ve watched Kitchener this season, I’ve happened to catch almost exclusively good games where he’s engaged. Which left me with questions about his rankings and production. Why aren’t both better when the kid I’ve watched is usually a force out there. Well, now I know. I just happened to pick the winners on CHL.tv.

Mar 12, 2009
This article helps. When I’ve watched Kitchener this season, I’ve happened to catch almost exclusively good games where he’s engaged. Which left me with questions about his rankings and production. Why aren’t both better when the kid I’ve watched is usually a force out there. Well, now I know. I just happened to pick the winners on CHL.tv.
One factor not mentioned is how truly abysmal Kitchener's coaching was for 80% of the season until the coach was fired. I think teams are probably having trouble deciding how much of the inconsistency is Rehkopf, and how much of it was the coaching. The entire team save for Pinelli and Brz were inconsistent all year. Had 0 defensive structure. Their goalie won the OHL last year, was an overager this year, and yet on this team was averaging a full goal per game more this year than last.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
One factor not mentioned is how truly abysmal Kitchener's coaching was for 80% of the season until the coach was fired. I think teams are probably having trouble deciding how much of the inconsistency is Rehkopf, and how much of it was the coaching. The entire team save for Pinelli and Brz were inconsistent all year. Had 0 defensive structure. Their goalie won the OHL last year, was an overager this year, and yet on this team was averaging a full goal per game more this year than last.
Great insight. Thanks!

Habsrule

Jun 13, 2004
I am a Kitchener STH and Rehkopf kinda scares me to draft. You mentioned all of the good things about him but I find that he is either on or off with his games played. He is never in the middle. He is either a threat every time he touches the puck and can drive with the puck. Or he doesn’t show up and you barely notice him.

What scares me the most is his lack of even strength production. 16 of his 30 goals were scored on the power play. That is only 14 even strength goals in 68 games. That is not a lot for an offensive player. Also 12 of his 29 assists came on the power play.

If you just look at even strength numbers he had a season of 68-14-17-31. I also remember him scoring two hat tricks this season. Take out those two games and his goal numbers look less appealing.

He has high end upside and should score 40 next season. The Rangers will be trading and should get back a big haul of draft picks.

inxs

Jun 13, 2011
If the progression continues for REHKOPF with an even better offensive contribution than last year. (30 goals) Several scouts will be disappointed not to have selected him earlier.

Reactions: Dominance

Habsrule

Jun 13, 2004
If the progression continues for REHKOPF with an even better offensive contribution than last year. (30 goals) Several scouts will be disappointed not to have selected him earlier.
I am a Kitchener Rangers STH. I have him down for 40 this year.

Pinelli, Arcuri, Mesar, Zhilkin and Valade are all gone from the Rangers top 9 this season. They combined for 138 goals last year. Kitchener will have a rebuilding year but those goals will have to come from somewhere.

Rehkopf started as second line centre last year and then got bumped down to third line role at the deadline when the Rangers acquired Zhilkin. Zhilkin was a 19 year old two way centre who played against other teams top lines. Rehkopf and played as third line centre down the stretch and during the playoffs. He also was in the top 10 in power play goals last season.

He will play a much bigger role this year and is the top line centre. The offence will run through his shot on the power play. I am expecting a big goal total from him.

On a side note there is a very strong chance that he gets traded. Kitchener is in their first rebuilding season after going all in last year. Rehkopf still has this year and next in the OHL so he doesn’t need to be moved this year but he could be moved in an Owen Beck like trade. A team trading for a year and a half of a player.

Reactions: LewisIggy

Habsrule

Jun 13, 2004
I know it is just exhibition games but he has 5 goals and 6 assists through 4 games.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad