C Berkly Catton - Spokane Chiefs, WHL (2024 Draft)

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
He’s a lot smaller and a better skater but I see where you’re coming from. Nuge is like 6’3 if I remember correctly
Naw... they say 6'1", but he was 6', 164 lbs. when he was drafted, and he always had a slight frame, not a thick Kaprizov, Dionne type body. It was thought that he would end up being a winger because of the concerns about his lack of strength. He was a vg skater, though, probably just as good as Catton. Similar all round game, too.

Reactions: 16thOverallSaveUs

cheechoo

˗ˋˏ ♡ ˎˊ˗ Tomas Hertl #48 ˗ˋˏ ♡ ˎˊ˗
Dec 13, 2018
suspended in gaffa
Pretty damn comfortable taking him at 1.02 if the Hawks don't win the lottery.

I have him in my third tier, but that is pretty much accessible from the third pick on. Celebrini is untouchable and I'm extremely high on Demidov, but after those two I could be convinced that Catton was immediately the next best player on the board.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
He’s having an amazing season.

Since 2000, he’s on pace for the second or third best scoring season for a U18 in the WHL. For total points, he needs 20 to tie Petan in 8 games. Doable, but will be difficult. Petan played more games that season anyway. For PPG, he’s currently .04 behind Cristall. Very doable to catch him.

He leads his team in scoring by 11 points and over third place by 37 points.

I don’t see how anyone has him outside the top 3-4. There are not that many good players in this draft.

macbowes

Aug 1, 2022
Victoria
All draft-eligible players since 2013-14 with a min. of 100 points in the WHL:

cattons whl production.PNG

Ezpz

No mad pls
Apr 16, 2013
I think it’s a real stretch to project any of the guys as 1D based on watching them. Good prospects? Of course. But they all have glaring things about them that make me hesitant to ever see 1D upside.
I'd say in general it's not easy to project a #1 D in a 17-18 year old and there's a lot more top ten misses of D then there are forwards. Generally speaking the majority of elite forwards in the league go in the first round, while many Norris winners and #1 D can be found outside of it.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
On pace for 115. I have zero idea how you don’t take this guy 2 at this point.
Because there are other really good players out there who are also performing extremely well, and/or have better projectability?

I really, really like Catton, but Demidov looks terrific, Silayev is playing a regular shift and doing well in the KHL, Levshunov has great tools and is performing really well in a better league, Buium is also having a great season in the NCAA, Parekh is having a monster season, etc, etc.

The doubts on Catton are because of his size and strength, or lack thereof.

TLEH

Pronounced T-Lay
Feb 28, 2015
Bomoseen, Vermont
Because there are other really good players out there who are also performing extremely well, and/or have better projectability?

I really, really like Catton, but Demidov looks terrific, Silayev is playing a regular shift and doing well in the KHL, Levshunov has great tools and is performing really well in a better league, Buium is also having a great season in the NCAA, Parekh is having a monster season, etc, etc.

He’s going to be the 2nd highest scoring WHLer in a decade+. To Bedard.

Without going into detail on a bunch of prospects I just like his game better.

Hockeyville USA

Dec 30, 2023
Central Ohio

Silayev isn't producing offensively much right now, but looks like a quality defense first D on a top pair or at least top 4.

Levshunov impresses me in that his game is balanced, poised, good in all areas of the ice, but doesn't have a dynamic offensive element.

Buium is dynamic as hell, I like him. High ceiling type.

Similar with Parekh, but interested to see how he defends once he gets to pro, I know Saginaw runs a different style of system with their D that is offense heavy.

Demidov is awesome, shifty, creative, interested to see how he adapts to the North American ice.

Catton is so creative, high hockey IQ, reads the play well, finds teammates well, finishes off scoring chances. Clayton Keller type, but with more projectable bite/edge in his game IMHO. I'd take Catton in the top 5.

Reactions: Dan Patrick

Zarzh

Jun 30, 2015
He’s going to be the 2nd highest scoring WHLer in a decade+. To Bedard.

Without going into detail on a bunch of prospects I just like his game better.
I do feel like it's odd to give him praise for not being good enough to make the Team Canada.

Reinhart scored at a higher pace in a lower scoring WHL, which didn't lose players to the NCAA route nearly as often, and had more team success. Draisaitl also did more with less.

Reactions: Hockeyville USA

Mercedes Benn

Aug 3, 2018
I do feel like it's odd to give him praise for not being good enough to make the Team Canada.

Reinhart scored at a higher pace in a lower scoring WHL, which didn't lose players to the NCAA route nearly as often, and had more team success. Draisaitl also did more with less.
I do feel like it’s odd you picked guys with late birthdays to compare his season to.

Reactions: prongertheman9

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad