C Auston Matthews - ZSC Lions, NLA (2016 Draft) III

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
Yeah I mean I appreciate that there's a good chance Laine has the better career, maybe even by a significant amount, but drafting Matthews is still the right choice even if it comes back to bite us in the ass later.

That's not true at all. Don't let these trolls make you feel like we are going to pick Matthews just because he's a centre. He's a superstar prospect.

Laine is a great prospect, Matthews is better and plays a more valuable position. You can't win in this league without a #1C.

Ovechkin led Capitals haven't even gotten past second round yet and he's going down as the best pure goal scorer ever to play the game. Period.

gretskidoo

Nov 26, 2011
That's not true at all. Don't let these trolls make you feel like we are going to pick Matthews just because he's a centre. He's a superstar prospect.

Laine is a great prospect, Matthews is better and plays a more valuable position. You can't win in this league without a #1C.

Ovechkin led Capitals haven't even gotten past second round yet and he's going down as the best pure goal scorer ever to play the game. Period.

That's a pretty bad example since Backstrom is one of the best centers in the league.

stavs*

Oct 11, 2010
Toronto
Potentially generational. Not sure why the first part is always missed? Potentially the Best winger drafted in a generation is certainly not a reach.

still a no. If he was what you say he is, he'd be going 1st overall without thinking twice about Matthews. Ovi was a generational sniper who went before that elite #1 C Malkin. Would be the same case for Laine and Matthews if what you're saying has any validity to it. I think Matthews has the best career out of all eligible prospects in this draft.

Gabranth

#19 #88
Apr 2, 2009
Finland

Backstrom. Also Crosby has only 1 cup and Ovie has a chance to even out that number this year. Malkin was MVP when they won the cup btw.

Still, there is no way Toronto will skip Matty-boy.

613Leafer

May 26, 2008
Centres like Kopitar, Toews, Bergeron, etc, are guys you win championships with. Its a lot harder to build around wingers, such as Kovalchuk, Heatley, Iginla, Nash, Alfredson, etc.

Teams win Cups without ~70-80+ points wingers (e.g. LA X 2, Boston, Detroit, Pittsburgh, etc), but they don't win without #1 Cs.

Saekki*

Few hours after the lottery and Leaf fans are already martyrs, nice. :D

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Centres like Kopitar, Toews, Bergeron, etc, are guys you win championships with. Its a lot harder to build around wingers, such as Kovalchuk, Heatley, Iginla, Nash, Alfredson, etc.

Teams win Cups without ~70-80+ points wingers (e.g. LA X 2, Boston, Detroit, Pittsburgh, etc), but they don't win without #1 Cs.
It can be done, but its rare. Depends on how you define Andy Macdonald in 2007 (Getz was a rookie and a #2 at that moment), and Elias or Mogilny were probably the best forwards on the 2000 Devils team, that lacked a true number 1 (Arnott or Gomez was #1 in 2000 and Gomez or Nieuwendyk was in 2003).

I'm still all for taking Matthews though.

613Leafer

May 26, 2008
It can be done, but its rare. Depends on how you define Andy Macdonald in 2007 (Getz was a rookie and a #2 at that moment), and Elias or Mogilny were probably the best forwards on the 2000 Devils team, that lacked a true number 1 (Arnott or Gomez was #1 in 2000 and Gomez or Nieuwendyk was in 2003).

NJ had a top 5 goalie of all time + an unreal blueline, Anaheim had two hall of famer dmen + McDonald was still a PPG centre at the time.

Those "blueprints" arent exactly easy to replicate lol. If we take Laine, Bernier is no Brodeur, and we dont have Niedermayer + Pronger on the blueline, nor are we at all likely to get two guys of that calibre.

Damisoph

Jun 29, 2010
The Leafs take Matthews with the 1OA every day of the week and twice on Sunday. What a break, something finally went our way.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
NJ had a top 5 goalie of all time + an unreal blueline, Anaheim had two hall of famer dmen + McDonald was still a PPG centre at the time.

Those "blueprints" arent exactly easy to replicate lol. If we take Laine, Bernier is no Brodeur, and we dont have Niedermayer + Pronger on the blueline, nor are we at all likely to get two guys of that calibre.
No cup blueprint is easy to replicate, I'm all for taking Laine, just pointing out there are alternative routes to the cup. People also always say you need an elite 2-way #1D, and forget about Carolina in 2006, and even Pens d was questionable when they won in that regard. And until Chicago started winning, it was that you always needed an elite #1 goalie (Brodeur, Belfour, Khabby, and Roy) except Detroit who was the exception.

I'm 100% in on taking Matthews, mainly because he's a versatile 2 way center, that creates a more balanced line up where Nylander can be the C of a line that gets heavy o-zone starts and less defensive responsibility. But there are multiple ways to construct a contender, I know they didn't win but I'd say Rangers and Devils lacked #1 C's in there cup finals runs recently.

Kamal007

FEEL LIKE PABLO
Jul 2, 2009
Toronto
Backstrom. Also Crosby has only 1 cup and Ovie has a chance to even out that number this year. Malkin was MVP when they won the cup btw.

Still, there is no way Toronto will skip Matty-boy.

The point he was making was the value of centres. Malkin winning the MVP only furthers his point.

Gabranth

#19 #88
Apr 2, 2009
Finland
The point he was making was the value of centres. Malkin winning the MVP only furthers his point.

That's true, I would go for Matthews too. I don't get my fellow Finns obsession for #1 pick and I do not think that Toronto are missing out on a Mario Lemieux like player like some people here do. :laugh:

Matthews is definitely #1 player in the draft.

bobbyt 91*

I am having a hard time finding a comparable for Matthews. From my viewings I see Eichel but I dunno.
Some differences like Eichel is faster top speed wise but their edgework, agility is similar. Playmaking I think Matthews is slightly better but Eichel likes to shoot more.
What are your thoughts?

HarrisonFord

President of the Drew Doughty Fan Club
Jul 20, 2011
Toronto
Were taking mathews, I'm pretty confident in saying this

Yup. I think some people are overthinking it. I liked Pronman's opinion that Matthews is one of the better #1 overall talents in recent memory (I think meaning worse than McDavid, Ekblad, better than RNH, Yak, maybe similar to Mac?)

bobbyt 91*

Yup. I think some people are overthinking it. I liked Pronman's opinion that Matthews is one of the better #1 overall talents in recent memory (I think meaning worse than McDavid, Ekblad, better than RNH, Yak, maybe similar to Mac?)

At the time of the draft EK wasn't considered in the upper level of 1st OA's.
I personally have him behind McDavid and ahead of Mack. The same of what Eichel would have been.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
He viewed him as on the same level as Eichel (atleast last year), who he had as the 3rd best prospect of the 2013,2014 and 2015 drafts behind McDavid and Mackinnon. Ekblad was below Drouin and Jones, this is just factoring how he viewed the entering their draft. I'd say Matthews is in the company of all top centers taken recently outside of Crosby and McDavid. He's a prospect on the same level as Stamkos and JT.

Orfieus

Nov 2, 2012
Atlantic Canada
Let me start off by saying sorry. I'm a die hard Leaf fan and with us getting the #1 pick I am very excited but I am doing my best to keep everything in prospective. Which brings me to my question, just how good is Matthews?

I started to to read the first page but there was a lot of bickering. If Matthews was eligible last year where do you feel he would have been drafted?

Again sorry because a lot of Leaf fans like myself are going to be flooding this thread in the coming months.

Mad Brills*

Laine's ceiling is higher than matthews. but matthews should be a safe 60 + point at least centre. That's valuable.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Let me start off by saying sorry. I'm a die hard Leaf fan and with us getting the #1 pick I am very excited but I am doing my best to keep everything in prospective. Which brings me to my question, just how good is Matthews?

I started to to read the first page but there was a lot of bickering. If Matthews was eligible last year where do you feel he would have been drafted?

Again sorry because a lot of Leaf fans like myself are going to be flooding this thread in the coming months.
He'd be battling for 2nd with Eichel. 100% goes ahead of Hanifin, Strome and Marner.

Lateralous

Jun 17, 2003
Abington, PA
Visit site

To help make your point, I would say Arnott was damn close to being a true #1 center at that period of time given that the Elias-Arnott-Sykora line was one of, if not the best line in the NHL for a few years there. 6'-5" and putting up close to 60 points with one PPG season mixed in there. Gomez was the second line center for Mogilny as he was only a rookie.

That being said, the 2003 team was definitely lacking a true #1 but as others have mentioned, they had hall of famers almost everywhere else

Lateralous

Jun 17, 2003
Abington, PA
Visit site
He'd be battling for 2nd with Eichel. 100% goes ahead of Hanifin, Strome and Marner.

Agreed, IMO he would have probably gone 3rd at the time given Eichels dominant season at BU and not having seen Matthews tear up the Swiss league yet but I think everyone would have said the groupings were:

Mc David

Eichel/Matthews

Hannifin/Strome/Marner

firstemperor

May 25, 2011
Agreed, IMO he would have probably gone 3rd at the time given Eichels dominant season at BU and not having seen Matthews tear up the Swiss league yet but I think everyone would have said the groupings were:

Mc David

Eichel/Matthews

Hannifin/Strome/Marner

If Matthews declared last year, I think Eichel goes ahead just because we saw him more- WC's. I think in hindsight, if people saw Matthew tearing up the Swiss league, Matthews would go ahead of Eichel (pending WC). McDavid is a generational player though, he would go #1 regardless.

As for their value relative to draft day, Ekblad wasn't in the same category as Matthews as a prospect. It certainly ended up that he would be an amazing young player but guys like Tavares, Stamkos were probably most comparable to how Matthews is viewed now. Maybe Tavares a bit less so, people started finding ways to pick on his game- mainly his skating because he was a top prospect for so long.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad