C Auston Matthews - ZSC Lions, NLA (2016 Draft) II

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
I doubt they would unless they are tradng one of their current ones.

They will trade one of their other guys... I think RNH becomes available instantly if Matthews is there.

We will get a good feel of it soon enough, but I doubt much has changed in terms of NHL circles where Matthews is reported to have a monster lead in terms of NHL evaluation people. Has it gotten closer, well it maybe should, but there was a pretty large chasm between him and the other guys entering and I don't think he has been knocked from poll position.

dlawong

Nov 24, 2011
Vancouver, Canada
If Oilers somehow won the lottery again or even if landing the 2-3 pick they potentially can have a first line that will be almost impossible to check and PP that will be extremely lethal. They can then trade 2017 1st round plus a former No. 1 pick for a highly promising D prospect or a solid 2 way shutdown Veteran D with term on the contract. Imagining if they can win each game like 6-4 even with an average D and decent goaltending. They will be a scary team to stop.

For the sake of NHL, hope that does not happen though because the Oilers will have a dynasty team in 3 years if they can convince the top 4 forwards and top 2 D to leave money on the table to stay with the team.

JWEKD

Apr 9, 2013
If Oilers somehow won the lottery again or even if landing the 2-3 pick they potentially can have a first line that will be almost impossible to check and PP that will be extremely lethal. They can then trade 2017 1st round plus a former No. 1 pick for a highly promising D prospect or a solid 2 way shutdown Veteran D with term on the contract. Imagining if they can win each game like 6-4 even with an average D and decent goaltending. They will be a scary team to stop.

For the sake of NHL, hope that does not happen though because the Oilers will have a dynasty team in 3 years if they can convince the top 4 forwards and top 2 D to leave money on the table to stay with the team.

I had to double check the date on this post. I swear I've read the same exact thing more than a few times in the last 5 years.

Dec 13, 2010
Feel like most measurements of him before this season have been off. First time I saw him out of pads (he was 16) they had him at 6'0 and 202. Remember thinking he looked a bit taller and a bit thinner. Champions League has him at 188/88 which is probably very accurate.

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
He looks at least 6'2" on the ice. He's a big kid, clearly not 6'0". He'll be a big, powerful, highly skilled centre in the NHL. Not real physical like Getzlaf, but someone who knows how to use his size and strength to win puck battles, like Kopitar or Toews.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
He looks at least 6'2" on the ice. He's a big kid, clearly not 6'0". He'll be a big, powerful, highly skilled centre in the NHL. Not real physical like Getzlaf, but someone who knows how to use his size and strength to win puck battles, like Kopitar or Toews.

Yea I've seen him walking around here in Helsinki and he's an easy 6'2. He's also pretty filled out, though his lower body could stand to add some mass. Won't be shocked if he ends up listed at 6'2.5 - 6'3 205 - 215 when its all said and done.

Funny note - he doesn't have that powerful/athletic walk that you come to expect from hockey players. He's got more of a dainty gait which is interesting, but it seems to be working for him lol. Wouldn't be shocked if it was a big contributor to his relative elusiveness for his size.

figure

Nov 19, 2015
West Coast
Yea I've seen him walking around here in Helsinki and he's an easy 6'2. He's also pretty filled out, though his lower body could stand to add some mass. Won't be shocked if he ends up listed at 6'2.5 - 6'3 205 - 215 when its all said and done.

Funny note - he doesn't have that powerful/athletic walk that you come to expect from hockey players. He's got more of a dainty gait which is interesting, but it seems to be working for him lol. Wouldn't be shocked if it was a big contributor to his relative elusiveness for his size.

Thanks for that sweet breakdown on your subjective view of how he walks.

thomast

Oct 23, 2009
Watching these games at helsinki it's obvious that Matthews lacked compete level at these games. Was soft in 1st goal against today. When they were 1 behind today i didn't see fire in his game. He didn't fight hard at the corners. Laine and Puljujärvi had much more fire and they gave it all to help Finland to win. Didn't see same with Matthews. He is very talented for sure and favourite for #1 but i wouldn't say that he has locked it up.

Cueb

Dec 31, 2015
Watching these games at helsinki it's obvious that Matthews lacked compete level at these games. Was soft in 1st goal against today. When they were 1 behind today i didn't see fire in his game. He didn't fight hard at the corners. Laine and Puljujärvi had much more fire and they gave it all to help Finland to win. Didn't see same with Matthews. He is very talented for sure and favourite for #1 but i wouldn't say that he has locked it up.

Yeah I agree, today he seemed pretty invisible to me. He had couple nice passes but I also noticed he played really long shifts which might have hurt his team.

KK91

Jan 7, 2009
Not impressed, if i'm a scout i want to know more about his compete level in games that matter.

twistedsteel76

Jun 14, 2011
Canada

Agree. I didn't see any spirit or fight to his game. He reminded me of a young Joe Thornton, immensely talented but rather indifferent to the gravity of the situation.

HabsForHire

"Expect the unexpected"
Sep 21, 2011
CT
I would take laine and pul's over matthews. he just seems to mope around on the ice waiting for the play to come to him rather then creating his own chances.

psycho_dad*

Jul 14, 2003
Saint John, N.B
Visit site
I mean he's not wrong. Matthews didn't show up today. He'll still go #1 overall, but he's not immune to criticism.

If Laine and Puljujarvi both show up tomorrow against Russia, I don't know how Matthews keeps his #1 spot. They both showed up better in the most meaningful tournament for gauging junior players. They also both play in a better league.

Breakers

Make Mirrored Visors Legal Again
Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado
:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

At people thinking he got knocked out of first overall because he had a mediocre game against Russia.

contrary to popular belief GM's don't base their decision on some 7 game tournament

:shakehead:shakehead:shakehead

AD1066

Sep 30, 2011
If Laine and Puljujarvi both show up tomorrow against Russia, I don't know how Matthews keeps his #1 spot. They both showed up better in the most meaningful tournament for gauging junior players. They also both play in a better league.

HFBoards loves small sample sizes. Will Chychrun get drafted at all at this rate?

Edit: also worth mentioning that Jordan Eberle and Brayden Schenn have some of the best WJC performances on record.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad