C Alex Turcotte - USNTDP, USHL (2019, 5th, LAK)

Status
Not open for further replies.

kilowatt

the vibes are not immaculate
Jan 1, 2009
So...what's up with this kid? Alot of the USA Hockey fans on HFB a couple years ago had him either above Hughes at #1, or just below him at #2 in 2019. I never bought into the hype personally, and admittedly I haven't been following him beyond the WJC. I'm a bit surprised he still hasn't played even a single NHL game to date...not that it's a problem for a 2019 drafted player to have not made it yet, but it's moderately surprising since we're talking about a forward who was picked 5th overall 3 drafts ago.

Is his development simply not moving as quickly as expected? Injury issues? Kings being overly conservative or hard on him?

Not trying to be combative, I'm just a bit perplexed by the discussion around him having halted and looking for some of those who followed him as a junior + Kings fans to share some insight.

Is it really that crazy? Lots of promising players guys from 2019 haven't played games yet. Broberg, Boldy, Pelletier, Suzuki. Lots of guys are just now getting their taste too — Seider, Podkolzin, York, Newhook, etc. There are zero concerns from the Kings organization with Turcotte, he's doing absolutely everything asked of him. He'll be in LA at some point this year.

Captain Clutch

May 2, 2012
Is it really that crazy? Lots of promising players guys from 2019 haven't played games yet. Broberg, Boldy, Pelletier, Suzuki. Lots of guys are just now getting their taste too — Seider, Podkolzin, York, Newhook, etc. There are zero concerns from the Kings organization with Turcotte, he's doing absolutely everything asked of him. He'll be in LA at some point this year.

I actually think he probably spends the full year in the AHL but your point is well taken, he's right on track to be an impactful player for the Kings

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
I actually think he probably spends the full year in the AHL but your point is well taken, he's right on track to be an impactful player for the Kings

I think they're going to want to see how he plays vs. NHLers, where he fits in. It fits the Kings' M.O., calling a guy up and trying a few things, like Kupari at the end of last year.

Especially in Turcotte's case, is he gonna be a full time C in an organization that currently has Kopitar/Danault but also Byfield/Vilardi/Kupari/JAD/Thomas and others.

WaW

Armchair Assistant Coffee Gofer for the GM
Mar 18, 2017

I didn't say it was crazy, I said it was "moderately surprising", and that's based on recent data. From the 2010-2019 drafts, the only other top 5 forward aside from Turcotte out of about 35~ players to not reach the NHL in any capacity until his D+3 year was Ryan Strome. I'd say 2/35 is pretty rare and justifies my surprise (and of course this is assuming Turcotte gets a shot this year at some point, which from the responses I've gotten, appears likely?). Again, this isn't a bad thing either, I was just asking for what was up with him considering how much excitement and discussion there was around him pre and post 2019 draft

Last edited:

Raccoon Jesus

Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
I didn't say it was crazy, I said it was "moderately surprising", and that's based on recent data. From the 2010-2019 drafts, the only other top 5 forward aside from Turcotte out of about 35~ players to not reach the NHL in any capacity until his D+3 year was Ryan Strome. I'd say 2/35 is pretty rare and justifies my surprise (and of course this is assuming Turcotte gets a shot this year at some point, which from the responses I've gotten, appears likely?). Again, this isn't a bad thing either, I was just asking for what was up with him considering how much excitement and discussion there was around him pre and post 2019 draft

In short, spent a year in college, then the covid year and injuries, in an organization with a TON of veterans they had to ship out and a couple years of legitimate prospects ahead of him. Notice that just now is Vilardi (2017) full time and guys like Kupari (2018) and Jaret Anderson-Dolan (2017) et. al. are still bouncing on roster spots/injuries rather than outright merit/ability. Even Byfield had to battle to barely make the last cut before his injury, and they were gonna make him 4C even though he was out there looking like Malkin...

Turcotte is MUCH better served dominating on a dominant team in top minutes than jumping around the lines in an LA team full of redundant middle sixers right now.

Fat Elvis

El Guapo
Dec 25, 2003
On Lebowski's rug
Visit site

He's missed some time with mono and injuries since being drafted. From the various interviews by the coaching staffs, he's very well liked. Having him play big everywhere minutes in the A isn't a bad approach at the moment. LA needs to move some dead weight, but recent injuries and covid to the roster has complicated it a little bit. He'll see game action at some point this season. It's just going to take some time to cut the fat currently on the roster. Nothing to worry about at the moment.

Raccoon Jesus

Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
He's missed some time with mono and injuries since being drafted. From the various interviews by the coaching staffs, he's very well liked. Having him play big everywhere minutes in the A isn't a bad approach at the moment. LA needs to move some dead weight, but recent injuries and covid to the roster has complicated it a little bit. He'll see game action at some point this season. It's just going to take some time to cut the fat currently on the roster. Nothing to worry about at the moment.

Oh yeah, I've never seen the staff rave about a player the way they were Turcotte this year...not even about Byfield and he made the team.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
The guy is simply the clear two-way leader beasting out on an AHL team that should be the hands-on favorite.

Zero doubt he could play in the NHL right now--he's simply not there because they want him getting big top six minutes.

I wouldn't call 4pts in 7gms "beasting" or say that he's there simply for the opportunity. He's there because he didn't make the Kings out of training camp, which suggests that he wasn't NHL ready a month ago, and only 4pts in 7gms on the league-leading team suggests to me that he's still not ready. Points aren't everything, but I think that you want to see a bit better than that because production tends to cut in half when you graduate to the NHL. He's not disappointing or anything, though. He's just exactly where he belongs right now. Hopefully, he does start "beasting" and earn a cup of coffee soon, since getting that taste should help get even more out of his season in the AHL.

Reactions: Dominance

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
It also needs to be pointed out that Turcotte outscored Byfield in the preseason and last season in the AHL. Byfield was getting a chance in the NHL first because he was picked higher. It wasn't because he's more ready for the NHL.

It's a bad spot for a player to break in immediately for a few reasons. LA is more willing to let high picks players develop outside of the NHL than most teams. The team is bad enough that there's opportunity for younger players, yet they still have a number of older prospects that the team needs to give a chance and evaluate before a 2019 draft pick. However, a better team that has a worse prospect pool would have much less competition, and Turcotte would already have a regular spot on.

Turcotte would've already played in the NHL if he was drafted into likely any other organization. But if his chance doesn't come soon enough then maybe he is well suited for a trade. I can't imagine that he's accepting anything other than an NHL assignment to start next season. LA will have decisions to make.

Lt Dan

F*** your ice cream!
Sep 13, 2018
Bayou La Batre
youtu.be
Just wow is all I can say to this post.

It also needs to be pointed out that Turcotte outscored Byfield in the preseason and last season in the AHL.

Alex Turcotte C ONT 32 6 15 21
Quinton Byfield C ONT 32 8 12 20

You seriously make a statement like that when there was a 1 point difference?? Really?

Byfield was getting a chance in the NHL first because he was picked higher. It wasn't because he's more ready for the NHL.
I watched many a Reign game last year and I disagree.

This next one is the funniest/worst part
It's a bad spot for a player to break in immediately for a few reasons. LA is more willing to let high picks players develop outside of the NHL than most teams. The team is bad enough that there's opportunity for younger players, yet they still have a number of older prospects that the team needs to give a chance and evaluate before a 2019 draft pick.
Both Bjornfot and Kaliyev were also 2019 picks champ
2019122Tobias BjornfotDDjurgardens Jr. (Sweden-Jr.)NHLEntry45178-414
2019233Arthur KaliyevRWHamilton Bulldogs (OHL)NHLEntry9224-52
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

If being an older prospect was the criteria for being called up then why didn't Akil Thomas or Adien Dudas or Sodergran get called up last year?
Why has Clague only played 24 games as a 2016 pick and Moverare hasn't ever been called up?
You are very very far off here

Reactions: Fat Elvis

Raccoon Jesus

Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
I wouldn't call 4pts in 7gms "beasting" or say that he's there simply for the opportunity. He's there because he didn't make the Kings out of training camp, which suggests that he wasn't NHL ready a month ago, and only 4pts in 7gms on the league-leading team suggests to me that he's still not ready. Points aren't everything, but I think that you want to see a bit better than that because production tends to cut in half when you graduate to the NHL. He's not disappointing or anything, though. He's just exactly where he belongs right now. Hopefully, he does start "beasting" and earn a cup of coffee soon, since getting that taste should help get even more out of his season in the AHL.

That's not what that suggests at all. He could be on our depth lines right now.

The amount of plays he starts but doesn't finish or get an assist on is insane right now. It's only a matter of time before the points catch up with the play--and frankly if you looked before this weekend when the PP went off, he was leading the team. The difference between 'ready' and 'not ready' isn't simply based on production anyway, but certainly not on the production of one weekend's games.

He looks every bit the part of the kid who helped dominate the WJC at the AHL level now. He's ready for the next step.

But since I have zero credibility anyway here's Mark Yanetti.

"“Guys like Zegras and Drysdale, I thought Alex was like that,” said Yannetti. “I haven’t seen the guy get loose pucks like he does. He created a change of possession, I lost count (how many times). That’s rare.

“I look at our team right now when he’s not playing and it’s just a little bit of change. Guys that make those types of plays, I don’t think we value them and I don’t think we evaluate them well enough. He makes plays that lead to chances to make plays that lead to possession. When a team is stuck in its zone for 35 seconds, 40 seconds without touching the puck because the guy got to a puck he shouldn’t have, it makes a huge difference.

“I was pleasantly surprised because I was nervous. In development camp, our guys were raving about him. Every one of our development guys, whenever they talked about him, their eyes lit up. And they couldn’t believe the amount of work he did. They couldn’t believe how good he was.’”"

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
Just wow is all I can say to this post.

Alex Turcotte C ONT 32 6 15 21
Quinton Byfield C ONT 32 8 12 20

You seriously make a statement like that when there was a 1 point difference?? Really?

I watched many a Reign game last year and I disagree.

This next one is the funniest/worst part

Both Bjornfot and Kaliyev were also 2019 picks champ
2019122Tobias BjornfotDDjurgardens Jr. (Sweden-Jr.)NHLEntry45178-414
2019233Arthur KaliyevRWHamilton Bulldogs (OHL)NHLEntry9224-52
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
If being an older prospect was the criteria for being called up then why didn't Akil Thomas or Adien Dudas or Sodergran get called up last year
Why has Clague only played 24 games as a 2016 pick and Moverare hasn't ever been called up?
You are very very far off here

I’m not sure why you are so upset that I posted facts.

I didn’t watch any Ontario Reign games last season, to answer your question. The only AHL games I watch involve my own team, and we didn’t play Ontario last season.

I don’t buy your argument that Byfield is currently better. Those two venues he scored less, and Turcotte plays a more NHL ready defensive game. I didn’t say Byfield won’t be a very good NHL’er. I don’t know why you got so upset about nothing and are taking it out on one of your team’s prospects to try to defend another against criticisms that weren’t voiced.

As to the last part, you are being dense. Those players play other positions. It’s a similar equation, but not exactly the same, as you know.

Lt Dan

F*** your ice cream!
Sep 13, 2018
Bayou La Batre
youtu.be
I’m not sure why you are so upset that I posted facts.
You posted far more opinion that fact. Especially the part about older prospects getting the chance over younger ones

I didn’t watch any Ontario Reign games last season, to answer your question. The only AHL games I watch involve my own team, and we didn’t play Ontario last season.

I don’t buy your argument that Byfield is currently better. Those two venues he scored less
1 freaking point. That is called grasping at straws

, and Turcotte plays a more NHL ready defensive game. I didn’t say Byfield won’t be a very good NHL’er. I don’t know why you got so upset about nothing and are taking it out on one of your team’s prospects to try to defend another against criticisms that weren’t voiced.

As to the last part, you are being dense. Those players play other positions. It’s a similar equation, but not exactly the same, as you know.[/QUOTE]
One of us has seen both players play multiple times.
The other one of us is looking at stats and claiming one player is superior because he scored 1 more point.

I never said that you said anything of this
I didn’t say Byfield won’t be a very good NHL’er. I don’t know why you got so upset about nothing and are taking it out on one of your team’s prospects to try to defend another against criticisms that weren’t voiced.
this was all conjured up by you.

You really aren't qualified to make the statements that you are making. I also have exponentially more faith in the judgement of the Kings development staff than you, who do actually watch players play before judging them.

Reactions: NJ DevLolz

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
@LT Dan, how many games of both players have you seen play? I think there’s a good chance I’ve seen both play more than you have, so maybe you shouldn’t be so rude. Not everyone who says things you don’t like doesn’t know what they are talking about.

Lt Dan

F*** your ice cream!
Sep 13, 2018
Bayou La Batre
youtu.be
@LT Dan, how many games of both players have you seen play? I think there’s a good chance I’ve seen both play more than you have, so maybe you shouldn’t be so rude. Not everyone who says things you don’t like doesn’t know what they are talking about.
I watched every Kings preseason game that were televised this season and last season. I watched all 6 of Quinton's NHL games last season and I probably watched between 25 and 30 Reign games last season.

I also watched every USA and Canada game of the WJC and a few of Turcotte's college games

Last edited:

Baaaaaaaaaaaaah

Sponsor
Aug 16, 2015
I think LA should trade him. They have too much C depth and they are about to waste some of his golden years if they don't figure out a spot for him soon.

Detroit please.

Reactions: Raccoon Jesus

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
That's not what that suggests at all. He could be on our depth lines right now.

Well, just about any forward prospect down in Ontario could be on LA's depth lines. Whether that means that they're NHL ready or belong there is another matter. In Turcotte's case, his ceiling is higher than most prospects and he would benefit more from being in the top 6 in Ontario than the bottom 6 in LA, so "NHL ready" is a higher bar for him, IMO. FWIW, I feel the same about Kaliyev and Kupari. It's too early to say that they're NHL ready, even though they've already played in a bunch of NHL games, unlike Turcotte.
He looks every bit the part of the kid who helped dominate the WJC at the AHL level now. He's ready for the next step.

I wouldn't call 8pts in 7gms at WJC "dominant," especially compared to teammate Zegras' 18pts in 7gms, nor his 4pts in 7gms in the AHL, especially compared to teammate Tynan's 10pts in 7gms. Even if he's been a lot better than his production suggests, it's been only 7 games. The "next step" for him should be consistency over a larger sample size, IMO.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
Pretty sure he’s had to deal with some significant health issues; the skill that got him selected at 5 is definitely still there. Just needs the time to put it together, and LA is perfectly suited to do that with Kopitar, Danault, Vilardi, and Byfield all above him on the depth chart (at least if he stays at C).

I saw him play the other night in Abby and his skillset is as advertised but he needs to learn to play the NHL game but he is a guy to watch forsure.

Baaaaaaaaaaaaah

Sponsor
Aug 16, 2015
I was joking about Detroit but not really joking about them trading him. They should seriously consider. Sometimes a prospect pool can get too full at certain positions, and then you end up wasting assets. I feel LA is approaching that point at C.

Peasy

May 25, 2012
Star Shoppin
I watched every Kings preseason game that were televised this season and last season. I watched all 6 of Quinton's NHL games last season and I probably watched between 25 and 30 Reign games last season.

I also watched every USA and Canada game of the WJC and a few of Turcotte's college games
The poster youre talkin to was a massive Turcotte fan during his draft year. Pretty sure he had Turcotte ranked first overall. Its clear he still has very strong feelings for him as a prospect.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad