C Aleksi Saarela - Lukko, Liiga (2015, 89th, NYR; traded to CAR, traded to CHI, traded to FLA)

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
At current rate, developing into a NHL regular is the less likely option for Salomäki, that is correct, but saying that he “will never make the NHL†is in his case too strong of an opinion I think.

Salomäki is already better than a decent SM-liiga player, so in this case our 77 year-old expert doesn’t have the most accurate perception. When healthy he has been the 4th most valuable forward for Kärpät after Haataja, Huml and Kähkönen. You won’t see his value from scoring stats alone and I think the recent WJC’s gave a slightly wrong impression about him to many.

I didn't say he said that...

Tormentor

Dec 27, 2007
Too Far
So you're basing your whole argument on the notion that both players have a similar body composition (both stocky short)?
I’m not denying the fact that technique affects output, and I just agreed with you that genetics and training play a role.

Saarela is a shorter player whose weight/height ratio will probably end up being quite high. He seems to have a longer back and shorter legs than an average person of his height, if true, this affects the potential length of his stride in a negative way. While his feet are pretty quick, I’m not seeing the kind of quickness that Kasperi Kapanen for example has. This is my baseline when thinking about the potential of his mobility.

Sure, I'm not saying he will be a top dog in some speed contests, but I don't see a reason why he couldn't become a notably better skater than Granlund. I think the fact that he's a much better skater than young granlund, both power-wise and technique-wise, means he has better upside when it comes to skating.
Better skater and higher upside yes, but notably better/higher no, that’s my view.

I didn't say he said that...
Another user in this thread made the comment “Salomäki will never make the NHLâ€, and that’s largely where this whole discussion about him started in this thread.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
yeah this antti looks like a beast huge frame with 149 cm and 49 kilos

http://laitilanjyske.sporttisaitti.com/jaaurheilu/e1-01/pelaajakortit/52-antti-saarela/

Kids got atleast the right club supported. :yo: Coach of that team is former SM-Liiga player Marko Toivonen, I think Ilta-Sanomat quoted "Pahi" as saying that the boy's got talent and his coach is sure to keep his head straight. Off topic but funny that it was about 10 years ago that I was still on the same football pitch with Saarela and Toivonen (their off-season conditioning at the time), who didn't take kindly being nutmegged once and proceeded to just shove me the next time ("vittu mun edess ei kikkailla"). :laugh:

Edit: I just noticed the team has a girl that's about 8 cm taller than Antti.

thomast

Oct 23, 2009
Kids got atleast the right club supported. :yo: Coach of that team is former SM-Liiga player Marko Toivonen, I think Ilta-Sanomat quoted "Pahi" as saying that the boy's got talent and his coach is sure to keep his head straight. Off topic but funny that it was about 10 years ago that I was still on the same football pitch with Saarela and Toivonen (their off-season conditioning at the time), who didn't take kindly being nutmegged once and proceeded to just shove me the next time ("vittu mun edess ei kikkailla"). :laugh:

Edit: I just noticed the team has a girl that's about 8 cm taller than Antti.

It's typical in that age that girls might be taller than boys.

YARR123

Oct 30, 2010
I’m not denying the fact that technique affects output, and I just agreed with you that genetics and training play a role.

Saarela is a shorter player whose weight/height ratio will probably end up being quite high. He seems to have a longer back and shorter legs than an average person of his height, if true, this affects the potential length of his stride in a negative way. While his feet are pretty quick, I’m not seeing the kind of quickness that Kasperi Kapanen for example has. This is my baseline when thinking about the potential of his mobility.

Better skater and higher upside yes, but notably better/higher no, that’s my view.
Fair enough, maybe our conceptions of the word "notable" differ.

Btw how would you know he has short feet? :laugh:

And I agree that Kapanen is even quicker, he really has a smooth stride. I like Saarela's motor though, he's not afraid to kick it into gear and produce some sweat.

Needles

Jun 29, 2010
There's a rumor going around that next year the whole Saarela family are moving to Helsinki and joining the Jokerit organisation. Courtesy of Jarmo Kekäläinen.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
There's a rumor going around that next year the whole Saarela family are moving to Helsinki and joining the Jokerit organisation. Courtesy of Jarmo Kekäläinen.

Still a HTT level rumor though. :laugh: Though from what I've heard, Pasi probably wouldn't mind a less stressful job than his current one.

Tormentor

Dec 27, 2007
Too Far
Coach of that team is former SM-Liiga player Marko Toivonen
I think Antti plays mostly for the D1 team which is coached by Mika Koski.

Juuso Pärssinen looks to be another fairly promising -01 whose father is well known by hockey people. 3rd one might be Anton Lundell from Blues, but I'm just guessing that his father is Jan Lundell.

Fair enough, maybe our conceptions of the word "notable" differ.
I was obviously loosing the debate, so as a desperate measure I started spliting hairs. :)

Btw how would you know he has short feet? :laugh:
Legs, not feet.

ChadS

Jun 30, 2009
Saarela Sr. was announced as one of Lukko U20's coaches for next season. Not that it means the chances of him moving and possibly coaching a Jokerit team are 0%.

Link: http://www.raumanlukko.fi/ajankohta...aarela-valmentavat-lukon-nuoria-ensi-kaudella

And if this 'rumour' is based on the one poster at jatkoaika.com, I wouldn't count on it too much ;)

Last edited:

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
Saarela Sr. was announced as one of Lukko U20's coaches for next season. Not that it means the chances of him moving and possibly coaching a Jokerit team are 0%.

Link: http://www.raumanlukko.fi/ajankohta...aarela-valmentavat-lukon-nuoria-ensi-kaudella

And if this 'rumour' is based on the one poster at jatkoaika.com, I wouldn't count on it too much ;)

Well Jatkoaika is the place where most transfers are revealed first, there's obviously many posters with the right connections.

JFG

Mar 14, 2012
You Finns are really HFboards' best at buildning hype over young promising players :handclap:

Haite

x
Jun 27, 2011
In the first line today with Justin Azevedo and Teemu Nurmi. He's getting opportunities, that's for sure.

JJTT

Jan 18, 2013
Oulu
In the first line today with Justin Azevedo and Teemu Nurmi. He's getting opportunities, that's for sure.

It's great that they are giving him a change with some decent linemates. Hope Saarela also gets tons of pp time with those guys.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad