C Aleksi Heponiemi- Modo, Hockey Allsvenskan, Sweden (2017, 40th, FLA)

wings5

Jan 6, 2008
So he was just assigned to Modo of the Allsvenskan after playing in the AHL and Liiga the past two seasons? What is the meaning of this? Seems like a backwards move to me as he could have at least got assigned to SHL or at least another Liiga team.

VictorLustig

Feb 8, 2012
So he was just assigned to Modo of the Allsvenskan after playing in the AHL and Liiga the past two seasons? What is the meaning of this? Seems like a backwards move to me as he could have at least got assigned to SHL or at least another Liiga team.

Maybe no team wanted him on just a short loan?

Last edited:

Deas

Feb 3, 2017

I agree it's a strange move. Why not be a star in Liiga again? Or play a year in the KHL.

As a Modo fan, however - holy cow!

ryan callahan

Jan 25, 2014
Québec,Canada
I agree it's a strange move. Why not be a star in Liiga again? Or play a year in the KHL.

As a Modo fan, however - holy cow!

Because SHL and KHL are definitely a level above Liiga. If he could barely produce in AHL last year he's not suddenly gonna become an offensive star in KHL and SHL, who are well known as defensive leagues. He needs to put on muscle to progress imo.

JabbaJabba

Dec 22, 2010
Finland
Because SHL and KHL are definitely a level above Liiga. If he could barely produce in AHL last year he's not suddenly gonna become an offensive star in KHL and SHL, who are well known as defensive leagues. He needs to put on muscle to progress imo.

His new team plays in Allsvenskan though, which is a tier below SHL. So he's going to play in lesser league than Liiga, very strange.

Reactions: Helsinki Hurricanes

ijuka

May 14, 2016
SHL's not exactly a defensive league, it's much more of a run and gun league than Liiga is.

Reactions: Helsinki Hurricanes

king89

Dec 4, 2018
Heponiemi struggled big time in AHL last season, he literally got manhandled. He must put on a lot of weight, until then its better for him to play on bigger ice and in a lower tier league then AHL. SHL would be too tough for him and almost all the teams have full rosters. Liiga would be the logical choice but maybe most of the teams there have full rosters too? It's also uncertain times we live in now. It's not even clear when the leagues will start. Some controversional moves will happen.

Modo can promise Heponiemi first line minutes and PP time. Modo is also a great place if you want to develop. Only this summer three talents of our club signed with top SHL teams. A swedish hockey expert published a list on hockeyexpressen (swedish sport news paper) about a week ago, "top 10 young SHL players that will have a break out year" kind of thing. 3/10 players on that list came from Modo academy.

This year we also has a finnish head coach in Ville Nieminen. He knows Jari Kekäläinen, who is Florida Panthers Director of European Scouting.

I actually don't think this is such a weird move by Heponiemi.

Last edited:

Zub

Nov 7, 2015
Helsinki
His future will be in Liiga most likely, unfortiunate but he really is a player who needs the big rink to be effective when it comes to playing vs men.

OKR

Nov 18, 2015
Isn't he 21? Doesn't change the point you were making though.
-99 early january, so he is like 21 and half.

Weird move in a way for sure, he was pretty much PPG in Liiga just two seasons ago and now plays in Swedish second tier, don’t seem to have bulked up one bit since leaving Liiga and he is very light, not just for a hockey player but for a man of his age in general.

violaswallet

Apr 8, 2019
Any fans can talk about he looked in camp/projection with the team?

He struggled to find his place in the AHL, but I think part of it was that he was not playing top 6 minutes for the first time...

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland

He struggled to find his place in the AHL, but I think part of it was that he was not playing top 6 minutes for the first time...

Dude was in a dog house for the entire season.
that was a character building season for him 100

most likely gonna lead allsveskan in points when he leaves

ps. was almost ppg player in the sm-liiga, season before his ahl season

Matteo

Aug 20, 2017
SHL has a ban on adding NHLers. Just a few teams managed to add some before that ban came into effect. That being said, I think Allsvenskan will be very competitive, at least in the early part of the season.

king89

Dec 4, 2018

You mean with MoDo?

He has been our best forward this preseason, unfortunately he doesn't have good linemates. Therefore not so many points. Like one game he served 4 almost open net goals and his linemates missed all...We don't have that sniper that can capitalize on his great passes. I thought we had but i think this preseason have showed that we don't. So Heponiemi is quite alone out there. And it doesn't help that none in his line is bigger then 5'11, so they have problems with establish pressure. Frankly i don't know how the coaches reason here. You can't have a 5'10 and 154lb guy paried up with two other small guys.

I think he has gained some mass under the summer but not nearly enough for AHL i think.

Last edited:

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland
You mean with MoDo?

He has been our best forward this preseason, unfortunately he doesn't have good linemates. Therefore not so many points. Like one game he served 4 almost open net goals and his linemates missed all...We don't have that sniper that can capitalize on his great passes. I thought we had but i think this preseason have showed that we don't. So Heponiemi is quite alone out there. And it doesn't help that none in his line is bigger then 5'11, so they have problems with establish pressure. Frankly i don't know how the coaches reason here. You can't have a 5'10 and 154lb guy paried up with two other small guys.

I think he has gained some mass under the summer but not nearly enough for AHL i think

One really shouldn't look at his AHL season and make any assumptions.

violaswallet

Apr 8, 2019
Dude was in a dog house for the entire season.
that was a character building season for him 100

most likely gonna lead allsveskan in points when he leaves

ps. was almost ppg player in the sm-liiga, season before his ahl season
s
Eh, our AHL team was weird with prospects: we forced Borg to learn defense and played him on third-line causing problems. Tippett and Saarela had a great seasons; I think AS established himself for next season: his work ethic looked great, despite the rumors (maybe Barkov is the guy). After that, I think we gave some AHL regulars top-6 minutes instead of developing Hepo, who struggled with size.

I hope that happens with Hepo :) I also think there won't be the clog of top 6 prospects in the AHL; I'm guessing Deni is on the big team this season.

Aug 25, 2009
éal
scored his first NHL goal in overtime two weeks ago, now 4 points in 2 games in the AHL

If they are patient he might develop into a top-6 centre after all

Ryuji Yamazaki

Do yuu undastahn!?
Jul 22, 2015
scored his first NHL goal in overtime two weeks ago, now 4 points in 2 games in the AHL

If they are patient he might develop into a top-6 centre after all

He needs to put on some serious weight. He was getting manhandled along the boards in his time in the NHL.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad