Bylsma eyes other guy for Malkin-Neal line

Hottubber

Feb 9, 2010
Last regular season with Geno he scored 26g + 35a. When did he score more?

In 2010/11 Kunitz while playing with Crosby was having a great year. Crosby got injured and I believe Kunitz missed something like 20 games while still getting 23 goals.

Crosby and Kunitz have proven chemistry. Not taking anything away from the line with Malkin and Neal but Kunitz on that line is a luxary at this point. Him with Crosby is currently a necessity

Geno Machino

Jan 6, 2013
Totally agree. Its not a bad thing having a couple spots for young guys to sink or swin. At least it gives Shero a better idea of where the team stands and what needs to be added closer to the deadline.

As for Bennet, I think he could come in this year and contribute. He reminds me a lot of David Perron. Same build, both have incredible vision and hands. Both have/had knocks on their skating. BB is exactly the kind of player this team needs. His creativity will create a lot of space for whoever is on his line once he adjusts to the speed of the NHL

I just think in a sprint instead of a Marathon the Grinder HC will not give a flashy player like BB a chance to sink or swim, It will be regrettably TK wher offense goes to die

od71

Apr 8, 2012
Kunitz' production is not the issue here. he's the type of winger he just works with everyone. he was good with Sid, Geno and Staal.

yes, but I mean that overall production of first two lines will decrease in that case

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
yes, but I mean that overall production of first two lines will decrease in that case

False. Geno and Neal, Kunitz and Sid. That gives each center a legit top 6 winger. That provides the best balance and opportunity for each line to succeed. In theory, that will maximize production.

od71

Apr 8, 2012
False. Geno and Neal, Kunitz and Sid. That gives each center a legit top 6 winger. That provides the best balance and opportunity for each line to succeed. In theory, that will maximize production.

Disagree. last season Sid's line was doing well without Kunitz.

Hottubber

Feb 9, 2010
Disagree. last season Sid's line was doing well without Kunitz.

Apparently you havent been watching the pens very long. If you expect Sid to perform with Cooke & Kennedy and expect him to never get shut down, you will be very disapponited

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
I fail to see the problem? Glass isn't just some fighter; he does have some skill. Glass will get down and dirty along the boards. For now, he's just there to keep things a flow and going to go nuts if anyone touches Geno. Why is this a problem?

Was in Vancouver last year and ended up sitting beside someone who knew Glass pretty well. Apparently he used to be a scorer before the NHL, and once he got to the NHL and was constantly fighting his hands never got a chance to heal. No clue how accurate that is...

But my point is I wouldn't dismiss something out of hand without at least giving it a chance for a game or two. What's the worse thing that can happen? It doesn't work? As long as you're not talking about a 20 game trial, it shouldn't be an issue.

od71

Apr 8, 2012
Mozyakin today 1+1 without Geno. it's a pity Malkin won't bring him in his luggage. lol

od71

Apr 8, 2012
Apparently you havent been watching the pens very long. If you expect Sid to perform with Cooke & Kennedy and expect him to never get shut down, you will be very disapponited

again. Sid could be shut down even with Kuni as it was in the sc final against Detroit . I'm speaking about optimum, about maximum production

M0NTY26

Force from Ma'gorsk
Feb 27, 2010
This is a big hole in the line-up. I just saw that Alex Kovalev is trying out with the Panthers. Are there any other vet wingers out there that we could take a flier on?

I said at the time that I thought it was weird that Shero didn't even bother to make an offer for Sullivan. Who wouldn't take him for one year, 1.5M right now?

Hopefully, no one else has said this (I've only read to your 10th post) and I can look super smart.

Mike Knuble is a free agent. He's certainly not going to light the world on fire, but a Knuble-Malkin-Neal line would look pretty nice, even if Knuble just stands in front of the net.

theicebox

#MonixWatch
Jan 8, 2010
Pittsburgh
Mike Knuble is a free agent. He's certainly not going to light the world on fire, but a Knuble-Malkin-Neal line would look pretty nice, even if Knuble just stands in front of the net.

I second this, there is no reason to NOT explore free agency/camp invites. I want to play Moneyball.

Richard

Feb 8, 2012
Besides Crosby, Malkin, Neal and Letang this team has a serious lack of skill. I don't see them as a realistic contender. They need more, simply more.

od71

Apr 8, 2012
Besides Crosby, Malkin, Neal and Letang this team has a serious lack of skill. I don't see them as a realistic contender. They need more, simply more.

somehow you are right. but in 2011 Boston also experienced lack of skill in comparison with Vancouver

Beaudangles19

Dec 10, 2012
USA
my lineup

dupuis-crosby-kunitz
sutter-malkin-neal
cooke-jeffery(i think hes ready for a bigger role)-kennedy
tangradi-vitale-glass

what u guys think?????? idk maybe bennetts takes sutters spot and sutter take dj spot? i think adams is done with the pens.

HuskerTornado

Jobu Needs Rum
May 26, 2008
Parts Unknown
lol, lots of guys ready to toss Bylsma out the door and the season hasn't even started yet. :shakehead

Hopefully, no one else has said this (I've only read to your 10th post) and I can look super smart.

May not be a terrible idea, but I'm sure it won't happen. If Bennett isn't ready to step in right away, cap room is there...thanks to waiting on the 2 FA's that went to Minny this offseason. Not much out there at this point.

Zen Arcade

Bigger than Kiss
Sep 21, 2004
Pittsburgh
Just wait until the super Duper Crosby Duper line is put together.

People think I'm being a clown, but I think DB is the exact coach that would do this.

After BB, Dupuis is as likely to be called up as anyone.

I wouldn't worry too much, even leaving out Bennett, you'd have to think he's still behind Holzapfel, Smith, Peters and (god help us) Ferriero.

If I hear Bylsma mention Ferriero's experience playing the point on the powerplay in WBS, that's when it will be time to hide the sharp objects.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
I wouldn't worry too much, even leaving out Bennett, you'd have to think he's still behind Holzapfel, Smith, Peters and (god help us) Ferriero.

If I hear Bylsma mention Ferriero's experience playing the point on the powerplay in WBS, that's when it will be time to hide the sharp objects.

Sill, Megna, Dupuis... Throw them all in a hat... Kind of funny, but not really.

I figure BB, just because he doesn't blow ass, will get NHL ice this season when injuries hit. That is the only positive to such a dismal crew in the A.

Wonder if Billy Tibbetts is in game shape?

Zen Arcade

Bigger than Kiss
Sep 21, 2004
Pittsburgh
Sill, Megna, Dupuis... Throw them all in a hat... Kind of funny, but not really.

I figure BB, just because he doesn't blow ass, will get NHL ice this season when injuries hit. That is the only positive to such a dismal crew in the A.

Wonder if Billy Tibbetts is in game shape?

Sign Farnham to an NHL deal and just let him go out and go nuts every so often.

All kidding aside, Farnham and Megna have both been pleasant surprises. Aside from Megna's injuries.

Bennett Brauer

May 1, 2011
Pittsburgh, PA

Stanley Cup team:

Kunitz-Crosby-Guerin
Fedotenko-Malkin-Talbot
Cooke-Staal-Kennedy
Dupuis-Adams-Satan
Sykora

Orpik-Gonchar
Eaton-Letang
Gill-Scuderi
Boucher

Fleury
Garon

Now:

Kunitz-Crosby-Dupuis
_____-Malkin-Neal
Cooke-Sutter-Kennedy
Glass-Vitale-Adams
Jeffrey/Tangradi/Bennett

Orpik-Letang
Martin-Engelland
Despres-Niskanen
Lovejoy/Strait/Bortuzzo

Fleury
Vokoun

*lineup and lines subject to change :laugh:

I think the Penguins have more skill now than they did in 2008-09. Sure Staal and Gonchar are gone, but Sutter is still considered a solid 3rd line center.

Penguins could use more skill but they don't need more to be Cup contenders. They just need to play smart, disciplined hockey.

wgknestrick

Aug 14, 2012
Stanley Cup team:

Kunitz-Crosby-Guerin
Fedotenko-Malkin-Talbot
Cooke-Staal-Kennedy
Dupuis-Adams-Satan
Sykora

Orpik-Gonchar
Eaton-Letang
Gill-Scuderi
Boucher

Fleury
Garon

Now:

Kunitz-Crosby-Dupuis
_____-Malkin-Neal
Cooke-Sutter-Kennedy
Glass-Vitale-Adams
Jeffrey/Tangradi/Bennett

Orpik-Letang
Martin-Engelland
Despres-Niskanen
Lovejoy/Strait/Bortuzzo

Fleury
Vokoun

*lineup and lines subject to change :laugh:

I think the Penguins have more skill now than they did in 2008-09. Sure Staal and Gonchar are gone, but Sutter is still considered a solid 3rd line center.

Penguins could use more skill but they don't need more to be Cup contenders. They just need to play smart, disciplined hockey.

When your 4th line has Dupers and Satan on it, you have a good team.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad