Proposal: Byfield Offer Sheet? 7 Years $8M

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
Appreciate the responses, learning a good bit on the offer sheet side.

So if Sabres went 10.5 for 5 years. That’s 2 firsts, a second, and a 3rd.

Would have to think that puts the kings in a tough spot

One aspect that might be tough if whether that disrupts the pay scale of your own locker room. I recall reading stories about the Sabres locker room turning sour after the Ehrhoff+Leino signings. Ie some long time Sabres were annoyed by how hard their contract negotiations were and then they rolled out the red carpet for Leino.

I wonder if Martin Necas has been annoyed about being paid less than Jesperi Kotkaniemi due to those offer sheet shenanigans.

EastVillageBlues

Feb 18, 2019
One aspect that might be tough if whether that disrupts the pay scale of your own locker room. I recall reading stories about the Sabres locker room turning sour after the Ehrhoff+Leino signings. Ie some long time Sabres were annoyed by how hard their contract negotiations were and then they rolled out the red carpet for Leino.

I wonder if Martin Necas has been annoyed about being paid less than Jesperi Kotkaniemi due to those offer sheet shenanigans.

If that's the pirce, whoever offers that is really going to regret it in a few years.

That certainly includes the fact that others on the team might be looking for a bigger pay day given the proximate comparable now they have to point to.

gritdash60

Aug 9, 2022
Behind the net
I say this all the time with these threads.

The Kings are further along in the competing process than is Buffalo.

Hes the future of the Kings.

Why is he signing a market level OS??

There has to be serious inducements, 7x8 is not that.
Byfield is the future? With PLD? Oh jeebus the drop down from Kopitar is not going to be easy, at least you had one of the best centers of this millennia for a loooooong time, make sure you put that jersey in the rafters.

pld459666

Feb 27, 2002
Danbury, CT
Byfield is the future? With PLD? Oh jeebus the drop down from Kopitar is not going to be easy, at least you had one of the best centers of this millennia for a loooooong time, make sure you put that jersey in the rafters.

QB took a big step forward thus year. No reason to believe that can't or won't continue.

Reactions: go4hockey

Schmooley

Apr 5, 2016
Hope so, if he is another PLD, its gonna get dark real fast.
What do you mean another PLD? He plays nothing like him. He plays both ends of the rink and works hard every second of every shift.
There will never be another PLD. He is a one of a kind loafer. He would have made Penner look like a hard worker.

Kurrilino

Go Stoll Go
Aug 6, 2005
Calgary
If LA rebuilds it will be around Byfield, Clarke, Spence and Portillo.

Wait...maybe they just need to stop dealing prospects and play them?
The problem is that we have nothing to build around.
There is 2 more years of Kopitar and Doughty demanding the cup and Blake trading away draft picks.

We are talking 7 years from now, all those with PLD as one of the top centers.
I prefer 4 low 1st rounders from Buffalo over Byfield at this point and comnine them with the low Kings picks and see what we can do with that.
This team is done for 8 years as is

If you would take 4 1sts for Byfield, I am sure Rs can sweeten the pot.
Well, the 4 1st rounders in question were from Buffalo, so very low.
Rangers will do great for a while and their 1st rounders will be not even remotely out of the high 20's

• Haha
Reactions: deaderhead28

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
The problem is that we have nothing to build around.
There is 2 more years of Kopitar and Doughty demanding the cup and Blake trading away draft picks.

We are talking 7 years from now, all those with PLD as one of the top centers.
I prefer 4 low 1st rounders from Buffalo over Byfield at this point and comnine them with the low Kings picks and see what we can do with that.
This team is done for 8 years as is

Well, the 4 1st rounders in question were from Buffalo, so very low.
Rangers will do great for a while and their 1st rounders will be not even remotely out of the high 20's
Fair 'nuf, 'cept
a) Sabes on the rise and not all of those 4 may be expected to be low
b) yes Rs picks, barring injury, should be high ... but....

while the return comp for signing an offer sheet is established
both teams could instead agree to a trade.

If you want youth over vets, normally that is a no, but it is conceivable Ks could ask for extensive package that while a wince, could justify NY landing Byfield b'c he is foundation piece for a pivot.

Mull this over the w'e and come back to me w/ask for picks/prospects
No, obv I will not gut the team
but yes, to extent it makes sense for long term profit, will consider overpay.

frightenedinmatenum2

Sep 30, 2023
Orange County Prison
It would make more sense to make a trade rather than give up four first round picks AND overpay Byfield.

Not to mention, the Kings would likely match. 8M is on the top end of what he will get on a 7-8 year term, but it wouldn't be absurd based on other comparable contracts. Especially with his pedigree and where he projects.

You need to go high on the cap so that they won't match. Something like 1 year 10.7M. That puts his cap hit the next year at about 9M w/ club elected arbitration, if he is qualified. So it creates a situation where if LAK match, they lose all leverage in future contract negotiations. The compensation is high enough at two 1sts, a 2nd, and a 3rd that they might opt not to match - especially if it is a team like Chicago or Utah.

I still think they would begrudgingly match that.

Guitpik

Jul 8, 2006
Fair 'nuf, 'cept
a) Sabes on the rise and not all of those 4 may be expected to be low
b) yes Rs picks, barring injury, should be high ... but....

while the return comp for signing an offer sheet is established
both teams could instead agree to a trade.

If you want youth over vets, normally that is a no, but it is conceivable Ks could ask for extensive package that while a wince, could justify NY landing Byfield b'c he is foundation piece for a pivot.

Mull this over the w'e and come back to me w/ask for picks/prospects
No, obv I will not gut the team
but yes, to extent it makes sense for long term profit, will consider overpay.
Kings aren’t trading Byfield. It’s not happening and any OS would be matched in a heartbeat.

DomBarr

Apr 7, 2014
Purely wanting to understand the math around this scenario.

If the Sabres were to offer Byfield 7 years at $8M a year and he accepts, how would the Kings be able to match?

Looking at their cap situation, they have roughly $23M available, but need to sign 2 goalies, several RFAs (in addition to Byfield), and have locked down deals for PLD, Doughty, Kempe, Kopitar, etc. They could I guess move Trevor Moore, but even then it's only $4M.

Could the Kinds match that type of deal? It's a pay for potential deal, but Byfield looks to be on the cusp of really developing into a stud top line forward. At 21, I think he would prefer locking down that type of deal over a bridge 2-3 year to let the Kings try to be competitive.

Thoughts?
Who know if they do match they may take the 4 1st round picks instead

• Haha

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad