Speculation: Buyouts

Canuck86

Feb 12, 2014
Kelowna
Canucks buy out Baertschi, unless they retain or add a pick to move him. But is retaining 50% for only 1 year or adding a pick or prospect worth it?

Personally I would just keep Sven and ride out the last year of his deal. But Canucks bought out Spooner and likely see Sven as being in the same spot

GaryPoppins

A broken clock is right twice in a day
Sep 10, 2016
I don't anticipate a Dubnyk buyout, but I wouldn't be surprised by one either

As an outsider but divisional opponent, is/has the idea of Parise being bought out been kicked around?

Mickey Marner

Jul 9, 2014
Dystopia
No, because you have to replace the player you bought out. So you're paying two players for one spot. The issue isn't cap space, it's salary.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Wennberg will actually be 26 by the time any buyout were to happen. Will be interesting to see how the NHL and the NHLPA handle a situation like that. I believe that Maatta is in the same situation
This was supposed to be the last off-season that the Jackets had to buy out Wennberg at the lower 1/3 rate, but the off-season got pushed back. Likely they are still able to do that in October.

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
This was supposed to be the last off-season that the Jackets had to buy out Wennberg at the lower 1/3 rate, but the off-season got pushed back. Likely they are still able to do that in October.
It's possible, but the NHLPA isn't going to let it go without getting something out of it.

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
Of course, but they would be stuck with 2 million dollars of dead cap for the next eight years.

Considering the age of the guys at the top of the payroll in Nashville, they don't have time to worry about 5 years from now. Their top 3 D will all be 30 by Jan, and one of them just got a $5m raise. Their best youngest forward is 26 with 2 years left on a good contract before he's a UFA. If they can add $4m in space for the next couple years, they probably have to do it. 2026 doesn't matter for the Preds. They'll be in a rebuild by then, unless they get extremely lucky with multiple aging players.

Soundgarden

Jul 22, 2008
Spring Hill, TN
Considering the age of the guys at the top of the payroll in Nashville, they don't have time to worry about 5 years from now. Their top 3 D will all be 30 by Jan, and one of them just got a $5m raise. Their best youngest forward is 26 with 2 years left on a good contract before he's a UFA. If they can add $4m in space for the next couple years, they probably have to do it. 2026 doesn't matter for the Preds. They'll be in a rebuild by then, unless they get extremely lucky with multiple aging players.

Then it'd make more sense to just retain on him, no?

Again, I doubt very much that Turris is a buyout candidate.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Canucks buy out Baertschi, unless they retain or add a pick to move him. But is retaining 50% for only 1 year or adding a pick or prospect worth it?

Personally I would just keep Sven and ride out the last year of his deal. But Canucks bought out Spooner and likely see Sven as being in the same spot
Sven, is a guy teams would pick up late in free agency for the following reasons:
1) 1 year left, so no commitments. Get to test drive before buying
2) Cash is $2.4 mill vs $3.3 cap hit. Money savings
3) If retained, you are looking at under $2 mill in cash, and likely closer to $1.5 mill.
4) Minimal trade. Heck, maybe it's a swap of 6th/7th round draft picks.

If you can afford the $1.7-$2 mill cap hit for Sven it's likely to just cost you between $1.2 mill to $1.5 mill in actual cash. Would be a good option vs dealing with guys wanting term. Plus, if he does decently, maybe you can swing him at the TDL for a draft pick.

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
I agree there will be few to no buyouts, but I think there will be a lot more player movement because of teams that were expecting a few million extra to use to pay RFA's being forced to move guys to make things work.
The problem is.... if 25 teams need to move salary, and there are 2 teams that don't need to but don't want to spend to the cap...that leaves 4 teams willing to take crappy overpaid players. Which means less player movement.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
The problem is.... if 25 teams need to move salary, and there are 2 teams that don't need to but don't want to spend to the cap...that leaves 4 teams willing to take crappy overpaid players. Which means less player movement.
I think that is the Key. Ottawa doesn't want to pay cash. And they will easily hit the cap floor. They are currently at around $41 million for like 8/9 skaters. So, will need to spend another $20-22 mill to hit the floor on the remaining 14/15 skaters. A couple of RFA who will cost them $3 mill each, so not an issue for them.

They'd take an LTIR guy maybe if he is insured or a very low cost player. Detroit, NJ, and LA have cap room. Don't know what the ownership groups want to do in terms of cash. If they wish to actually pay it or not. Each team also have a couple of RFAs to extend to eat into their available cap space.

STL got out ahead early sending Allen to Montreal.

If you want to move a guy, you better do it before spots get taken. Most teams are not going to improve over their current roster, given their own UFA/RFA that they want to sign. Probably best to just ride out the season if you can and get through the Seattle ED.

Shortened season for sure. And no clue about fans. School is starting, so we will see by October what the increase in Covid cases is with kids in school and slowly, more office buildings open up. But, can you really expect more than 5K of fans inside an 18K indoor arena without a vaccine?

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Parise had 28 goals last year, and 25 in a shortened season this year. He's not what he used to be, but the guy can clearly still score, and adds grit. The back surgery seems to have worked, and allows him to be play without pain. Buying him out would be kind of silly, especially with the cap recapture penalties involved. At this point he is still a decent top 6 player.

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
Cory is always brought up as a buy out for the devils, but I honestly don't think it will happen

Schneider (2m retained)+ a small add to get Vegas to buy him out in exchange for MAF.

NJ gets a 1a mentor for Blackwood. Instead of paying 12m+backup money(3-6m) over 2 years they pay Fleury 12.5m to play 40 games plus 1.3m cash and a 666k cap hit for 4 years(very fitting for the Devils).

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
It's possible, but the NHLPA isn't going to let it go without getting something out of it.

All the rules should apply as they would on June 30.

Besides buy out rules what else could be effected..

UFA or RFA for players eho turn 27 after June 30 but before UFA begins. Other age related status changes too.

There are two many issues if they don’t talk of age as off June 30.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad