Proposal: Buyouts (Grabovski)

calcal798

Jun 2, 2010
London
No I wouldn't do that.

What I'd do is switch around Kadri and Grabovski's roles.

I'd put Kadri out for the majority of the defensive zone assignments and let Grabovski take the majority of the offensive zone assignments.

I'd line Kadri up against the best offensive lines the Leafs face. He's younger so he could probably learn to be a defensive centerman easier than the older Grabovski.

Komisarek should be bought out if no one is interested in him. Good for the team, player and league.

To some extent I do agree. Maybe not this year, but next year we could do that. Having Kadri out against the other teams lines would push him a lot. Sure his points would take a hit for a while, but it would teach him to be responsible and work a lot harder in all zones. I mean if your playing the other teams best line it wouldn't be easy to get the puck out of the other end, so you would have to work for it. Here could be a potential lineup that would give us a defensive first line that could still pot some goals and provides two depth scoring lines after.

JvR-Kadri-Kuli
Lupul-Bozak-Kessel
Frattin-Grabo-Ashton/Colborne/Biggs/Leivo

If we (by some fortunate event) got Perry. I think a line of : Kuli-Kadri-Perry could be in order if you wanted to do this.

Kuli is a work horse and one of the better players in the league defensively, Perry is a top 2 RW in the game, and having them center Kadri and playing the other teams top lines night in and night out. They would have an awesome cycle game, Kadri could provide some good playmaking for Perry, and Kuli would provide some really solid defense. That may be the way to get Kuli back to scoring 30 goals too.

Kuli-Kadri-Perry
JvR-Bozak-Kessel
Frattin-Colborne-Lupul

(assuming the trade for Perry costs us Grabo).

Last edited:

Ash35

Jan 29, 2010
He should be easy to trade since everyone said he took "less" to stay here. I'm sure Nonis is going to need to hire another assistant to handle all the offers.

VO5

Jul 2, 2006
Leafs Nation
do you think we could trade him for something with that contract? And technically adding 5.50 of cap space is an asset

Tons of teams would take Grabovski in a trade. What comes back is another story.

When teams sign a player to a five year contract, then proceed to buy him out a year later..... What kind of message does that send to the rest of the players in the league? Players are human. Humans tend to like stability. We have a hard enough time attracting top UFA's as is.... we don't need to further that by showing no faith in a player who is having an off year, coming off a lockout, after playing in Europe on a larger ice surface. No excuses should be made and they haven't but sometimes you gotta call a spade a spade. Grabo has heart he'll be alright.

Al14

Jul 13, 2007
Talk of buying out Grabo is far too premature!

I think he could be traded really easily.

Failing a trade, I think he needs to be given another year or two to show his worth before even considering a buyout.

Grabo tries hard, sometimes he tries a little too hard and flubs the play. I think he'll come around soon.

Auzzie19

Mar 10, 2011
The North
Has everyone forgot that we signed a 3rd line C this past summer in McClement? I personally see us trading Bozak as Kadri, at this pace will take the #1 duties.

End of 2012/2013 - 2013/2014:
1C: Kadri
2C: Grabo
3C: McClement
4C: Steckle/FA

calcal798

Jun 2, 2010
London
Talk of buying out Grabo is far too premature!

I think he could be traded really easily.

Failing a trade, I think he needs to be given another year or two to show his worth before even considering a buyout.

Grabo tries hard, sometimes he tries a little too hard and flubs the play. I think he'll come around soon.

Yea I agree.

Thing is that Grabo isn't the only center that signed this type of deal and is stinking it up. Zajac has had the exact same problem and he just signed a 46 million dollar deal.

(IMO Zajac and Grabo are on a very similar level in terms of play)

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Umm Bozak is the best centre UFA come this summer, imo. Ribeiro and Elias are also UFA's this summer. I do not think Elias will be let go form the Devils and I do not see anything in Ribeiro that Grabovski or Bozak cannot provide.

What? you won't find many people that hate Ribeiro more then me but with 50 point seasons, 5 60 point seasons, on pace for a 6th, 3 70 point seasons, and 1 80 point season Ribeiro is better then Bozak could DREAM of being and that is a fact.

Auzzie19

Mar 10, 2011
The North
By next season it should be:

Lupul/Frattin-Kadri-Kessel/JVR
Frattin/Lupul-Grabo-JVR/Kessel
Komorov-McClement-Kulemin
McClaren-Steckle/FA-Orr/FA

Phaneuf-Gardiner
Gunnarsson-Rielly
Franson-Frasor

Riemer
Scrivs/vet ufa

calcal798

Jun 2, 2010
London
What? you won't find many people that hate Ribeiro more then me but with 50 point seasons, 5 60 point seasons, on pace for a 6th, 3 70 point seasons, and 1 80 point season Ribeiro is better then Bozak could DREAM of being and that is a fact.

Hopefully he meant Bozaks the best 3rd line center out there

hockeyfanz*

Haha, if somebody signs Bozak for 4+ mil, I will laugh. Ooooh he can win faceoffs and look barely average playing with Kessel, he is such a good player :sarcasm:

this.....Bozak for me is 3 year guy for like 7.5M tops but I still think there's a good chance he gets moved at the deadline.

calcal798

Jun 2, 2010
London
Even that is debatable with Antropov and Mcdonald as UFA

Agreed.

I wonder what Nonis would do if when Lupul and Frattin are back he got offered a 1st and a good prospect for Bozak. Do we do it? Maybe it'd result in giving Grabovski back an offensive role and put Mcclement on that third line center position.

Grant

LL Genius
Jan 16, 2012
London
Agreed.

I wonder what Nonis would do if when Lupul and Frattin are back he got offered a 1st and a good prospect for Bozak. Do we do it? Maybe it'd result in giving Grabovski back an offensive role and put Mcclement on that third line center position.

I sure hope he would. Love Bozak and all, but he shouldn't net that kind of return.

FlandersBreivik*

Umm Bozak is the best centre UFA come this summer, imo. Ribeiro and Elias are also UFA's this summer. I do not think Elias will be let go form the Devils and I do not see anything in Ribeiro that Grabovski or Bozak cannot provide.

Mike Ribeiro averages 0.77 points a game. Bozak averages 0.55, and he gets to play with Phil Kessel. That difference is about 20 points per season, so there's that.

Other UFA centers who are pretty clearly better than Bozak: Derek Roy, Stephen Weiss, Andy McDonald, and quite frankly, Tim Connolly. Probably realistically a few others if you consider Bozak gets favorable zone starts, easy matchups, and plays with a top ten scorer in the NHL.

If you would buy out Mikhail Grabovski, let alone to make room for Tyler Bozak of all people, you haven't been watching, or paying attention to the numbers.

The Lollipop King

4th Line = all heart
Mar 9, 2008
Canada
We lose 1 game and people are already calling for trades haha! Typical stupid Leaf fan who knows nothing.

Grabo is playing a shut down role, which allows other lines to get more offense going. Randy himself has states this to be true.

Watch Grabo play and you will see he works hard every shift and also gets good scoring chances with his speed. You can't teach a player heart, and they are the type of players you win with in the playoffs. Anyone remember grabo scoring an unreal goal after Chara destroyed him twice?

The Podium

Feb 19, 2010
Toronto
We lose 1 game and people are already calling for trades haha! Typical stupid Leaf fan who knows nothing.

Grabo is playing a shut down role, which allows other lines to get more offense going. Randy himself has states this to be true.

Watch Grabo play and you will see he works hard every shift and also gets good scoring chances with his speed. You can't teach a player heart, and they are the type of players you win with in the playoffs. Anyone remember grabo scoring an unreal goal after Chara destroyed him twice?

Trade Kessel hes producing but he has no heart! Ill take half the player as long as he plays with heart!
Trade Grabovski he has heart but hes not producing! A guy like him, even though playing difficult defensive minutes, has to be producing or he has to go!

Contradiction at its finest

The_Chosen_One

Jul 4, 2006
Melbourne, Australia
Grabovski is pretty underrated. I'd buy out the coach rather than him. It is his insistence of having a cross checking line that's harming his performance.

I swear, the way Randy is hyped (Nonis didn't even select him), it's as if he won seven cups. You're talking about team that had both Niedermayer and Pronger. Getzlaf, at the same time, just broke out in the playoffs elevating Perry's (with with Selanne) play as well. On top of that add a premier shut down line, McDonald, Selanne, and impressive depth.

Grabovski is actually playing well against the opposition's top line. It is actually taken quite seriously. He is not going to produce that well in such conditions (nor would Kulemin). If you put him up with Kessel, both would flourish. However, that would make it difficult to establish a shut down line.

Orfieus

Nov 2, 2012
Atlantic Canada
Not producing....33% offensive zone starts

Keep on talking out of your ass Leaf Nation!

Came here to say the exact same thing.

I'm sorry but holy **** Grab has 11pts (6g,5a) while playing in the defensive zone 70%! ! And you want to buy him out??? Do you realize by saying that you are comparing Grabovski to Gomez? Do you realize how dumb that sounds?

Read this, educate yourself and trust me you will enjoy the game way more.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/spor...fs-55-million-checking-centre/article8748765/

This thread has by far the highest concentration of people spewing nonsense from their mouths.

KuleminFan41

Jan 5, 2009
Buyout a consistent contributer ? Ugh, only in Toronto. So what if he hasn't put up 15 goals so far? Only 3 guys have 15 or over

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
That 1st rd pick for Grabo looks mighty good today, like I said at the time 5.5M was a mistake. Burke made some good moves in his time here, mostly replenishing our prospect group, but his signings were overall bad.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Came here to say the exact same thing.

I'm sorry but holy **** Grab has 11pts (6g,5a) while playing in the defensive zone 70%! ! And you want to buy him out??? Do you realize by saying that you are comparing Grabovski to Gomez? Do you realize how dumb that sounds?

Read this, educate yourself and trust me you will enjoy the game way more.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/spor...fs-55-million-checking-centre/article8748765/

This thread has by far the highest concentration of people spewing nonsense from their mouths.

He gets to play with Kadri on the PP, and he still can't produce. Offensive starts, defensive starts whatever the excuse is for some, Grabo has been a flop this year. Bad giveaways, lack of fire, lost in a fog, tunnel visioned playmaking, shoot wide first approach. He's been mediocre.

The Podium

Feb 19, 2010
Toronto
He gets to play with Kadri on the PP, and he still can't produce. Offensive starts, defensive starts whatever the excuse is for some, Grabo has been a flop this year. Bad giveaways, lack of fire, lost in a fog, tunnel visioned playmaking, shoot wide first approach. He's been mediocre.

Really? Kesler lowest offensive zone starts were in 2007-2008 at 38 and produced 37 points in 80 games. Patrice bergerons lowest offensive zone starts were in 2008-09 at 44 and produced 39 in 64 games. Both well under their career average. This season Fisher is at 37% with 8 points in 23 games, it's a career low and preds fans are calling for his head as well. Do you not see a trend?

calcal798

Jun 2, 2010
London
That 1st rd pick for Grabo looks mighty good today, like I said at the time 5.5M was a mistake. Burke made some good moves in his time here, mostly replenishing our prospect group, but his signings were overall bad.

Its better then the Liles or Komi deal. Not to mention Grabo is getting a role with very little focus on scoring.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad