Butterfly Goalie Pads

Status
Not open for further replies.

aerialis

Oct 7, 2005
toronto & pittsburgh
all pads can do the butterfly, but what you're looking for is a box-style pad

they're very stiff, and dont torque very well (keeps them square on the ice)

box pads include vaughn velocities (the originals), CCM blockades, etc etc.

just look for pads that have a flat front

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
For the 'not too expensive part'.......GoalieMonkey.com has the 2006 senior Heatons for $250, and the Reebok seniors for $300. I have the Reeboks and I was amazed with the quality for $300. I don't play at that high of a level, so I probably can't tell the difference between the senior pad and the $1,000 pro pad.

Desert Plains

Sep 16, 2005
New Jersey
thanks, i was looking at the reeboks myself but wasnt sure if they were good. I seen some NHL goalies were them but those are pro pads and these ones for 300 are just senior pads, but then yet again im not playing in the NHL nor am i getting paid like im playing in the NHL so i might look into them.

damoose212001

Jan 16, 2005
Pittsburgh
The Reebok's are probably very good for being so cheap, actually I'm buying a set for inline. If you're looking for a top of the line pad to fit your exact specifications though, check out Litespeed hockey.
http://litespeedhockey.com/pad_lsp2.html

That link is their butterfly style pad. I use that type, and it's amazing, the only thing I would change is I would have gotten the weave, and not Jenpro on everything. You pick your size, tell him the measurements from your ankle to knee, etc for a perfect fit. Also, you can pick your color, they are VERY light weight, and as I said before, the choices you have with them are amazing. Pick if you want plastic or metal buckles, nylon or leather straps, jenpro or weave material, color, size. I think mine were around probably $500 american money, it was around last christmas, so it might have been a special, but I bought the whole set which rounded up to be just above 900 dollars for everything, and it's top of the line quality.

Desert Plains

Sep 16, 2005
New Jersey
a review for the reeboks(300$ ones) said there for the goalie that plays 1-2 times a week, I play high school hockey so id need something good but not expensive since im not a pro, there are reebok intermediate pro's which are between the senior and pro pads but i dont know where you can get them

Desert Plains

Sep 16, 2005
New Jersey
I was also looking at the DR 6.2 serries, which i have a pair of gloves by. If anyone knows if their worth it because there only about 350 more or less, thanks

in the hall

Mar 4, 2004
they make "butterfly" pads?!

I never knew this, I played goal and forward in high school and I the only pads I ever had was Koho and they did the job, i didn't see much of a difference between cheap ones and expensive ones either other then their design/look

Desert Plains

Sep 16, 2005
New Jersey
the difference is that it is alot easier to play butterfly position with "butterfly pads" such as the ones NHL goalies use such as Lundqvist, Raycroft, Gigure, Turco, Toivonen, Esche, DiPietro and the rest of them, the other pads are stand-up like the old ones like Richter used to wear, its hard to make them go to their sides because they are soft. Koho was one of the companies that started making butterfly pads such as the ones Patrick Roy wore.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
bruins0506 said:
a review for the reeboks(300$ ones) said there for the goalie that plays 1-2 times a week, I play high school hockey so id need something good but not expensive since im not a pro, there are reebok intermediate pro's which are between the senior and pro pads but i dont know where you can get them

GoalieMonkey says they're getting a shipment of Intermediates in February: http://www.goaliemonkey.com/rbk-glpremierproint.html

I play twice a week normally, both outdoors and on ice, and the pads have held up pretty well (I've had them since July). Can't really tell if they are any better/worse than my previous pads (Heaton 10s) in terms of rebound control, but my butterfly is much much better now. Although the only problem with the seniors is you can't get customized sizing. I think in a perfect world I'd wear 35", but I had to decide between 34" and 36". It took about a month, but I got used to a 36".

Desert Plains

Sep 16, 2005
New Jersey
"I play twice a week normally, both outdoors and on ice, and the pads have held up pretty well (I've had them since July). Can't really tell if they are any better/worse than my previous pads (Heaton 10s) in terms of rebound control, but my butterfly is much much better now. Although the only problem with the seniors is you can't get customized sizing. I think in a perfect world I'd wear 35", but I had to decide between 34" and 36". It took about a month, but I got used to a 36"."

Do you have the senior ones, intermidiate, or pro ones and could you tell some more pros and cons about the reeboks. Thanks

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
bruins0506 said:
Do you have the senior ones, intermidiate, or pro ones and could you tell some more pros and cons about the reeboks. Thanks

I have 36" Seniors in White/Red/White (Curtis Joseph colors). Bought them from HockeyMonkey's actual store in Santa Ana, California. If possible, you really should try on as many pads/sizes as you can. 36" Reeboks fit okay, but 36" Heatons didn't. I kinda got screwed last time when I ordered 32" Heaton 10's a few years back, which ended up being a little shorter than I had anticipated.

Pros:

A lot of pad for a decent price. I once spent $50 solely for thigh boards for my old pads, but now (like most other pads) they're standard.

In the five months I've used the pads, the pad face is still in very good shape.

And just from an aesthetics standpoint, you have a nice selection in colors with the Reebok seniors. I have the Red/White motif going, so it was nice not to have to settle for some plain Black/White models. I'd personally like to coordinate with my team colors if at all possible.

Cons:

Was used to my old pads having a boot channel. The Reeboks don't, so it took a little getting used to.

The leather straps aren't of the highest quality. In particular, the one that connects through my skate seems like it might rip soon.

Even the salesman was telling me that the material wasn't great. So perhaps in the longrun, the durability isn't quite as good as other pads.

============

They have some older model Heaton's on sale as well for $250: http://www.goaliemonkey.com/gpheatonhelitez-sr.html

I almost bought these a year ago when they were $399. Quality wise, I think the construction feels better than the Reebok seniors to be quite honest. But obviously I never played with them.

Hedberg

MLD Glue Guy
Jan 9, 2005
BC, Canada
bruins0506 said:
Actually, intermediate is just the sizes between junior and senior. They are senior pads, but they only go up to size 31'

kovalev27hf

Aug 3, 2005
nyc
i actually have a pair of those 250 dollar heatons and so far they are holding up pretty well. i could see myself having to buy a new set in a year or so because i dont know how stiff they'll stay. great great pad though. the glove and blocker are super cheap too and i like them alot. the glove is pretty big and solid the blocker eh could use a hard plastic in there but still pretty good. the block pad makes a world of difference in your game believe me. i used to use all potvin koho pads non block and i believe im a much better goalie now.

StorminZ

Jun 3, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
I have a son who plays goal and NOT all goal pads are designed for a butterfly style. And at that, some are better designed than others.

From what I've learned for a hybrid style (stand-up with butterfly), you want a pad with knee and calf cradle that allows easy rotation when going into and coming out of the butterfly position. Too, a shallow boot channel makes for easier flex of the pad when going into the butterfly. And maybe most important (in the long term) you want a pad with good knee support, that being the knee stacks. The butterfly style is very hard on your hips and over time, without proper knee support, you will pay for it.

May pads today provide alot the advancements to meet what I've suggested above. However, not all pads -- despite having the same said features -- fit the same. Like any piece of equipment, I recommend you find a seller that will let you try the pads. After all, even if its $500 or $1500, it's a big outlay and you want these babies to "fit like a glove".

Good luck and good goaltending!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad