"Bust Potential"

sabrefan2930

May 29, 2008
Buffalo, N.Y.
Jordan Schroeder - A bonafide midget that will need to reach his maximum potential in order to become a successful NHL'er.

Magnus Paajarvi-Svensson - Great skater, terrible shot. He has the ability to create scoring chances at the junior level but can't really finish like a John Tavares or Evander Kane.

Zach Kassian - Very raw skill set, I think he might have the highest risk factor of all the players taken in the 1st round.

I think the exact opposite of Kassian. With his skill set, he is almost guaranteed to be, at least, a physical third liner who can contribute for 10+ goals a year. And that's worst case scenario. Hardly a bust, but then you could argue that 13 is too high to take a guy like that. Hopefully, he turns out to not be his worst case scenario and ends up a solid top-six guy.

He almost cannot become a flat-out "bust", in my opinion. Which would make him very low-risk. He will be a contributor at the NHL level.

But then, I am biased.

shveik

Jul 6, 2002
Visit site
it's just blatant racism. from what i've seen of kane live, he's got all the skills and talent, he just needs to share the puck when there is no play for him.

I am also a fan of Kane's game, but I have to disagree here. Using his linemates is one of his strengths. But it doesn't always work, in the playoffs it was frustrating to see his line enter the zone, only to have Pierro-Zabotel fumble the puck for a turnover (Zabotel was having tough time in the playoffs). Yet, Kane kept feeding him the puck, involving him in the game, only to have another turnover happen. Eventually the coach put another player with Kane, but my point is Kane didn't give up on his linemate. His vision is great, but he isn't a spectacular kind of guy, none of that behind the back passing plays. I think Ron Francis and Jonathan Toews as his optimistic comparables.

shveik

Jul 6, 2002
Visit site
As far as bust candidates from the 1st:
Schroeder, Ellis. Always a chance smaller player doesn't adapt.
Despres. Decision making is what makes or breaks any defenseman, and that's what made Despres fall to #30.

Possible underachievers:
Holland. Questions about his drive.
MPS. Can take the game to supersonic speed, but isn't so good at reading the play at that speed. Yet.
Kadri. One of the highest ceilings in the draft (just behind Tavares and Hedman IMO), but one of the worst consistency wise.

gare joyce

Sep 7, 2007
Where did you find that, I never heard about that. But Doughty was a chubby dude too, and look where he is now 1 year later. Granted he worked out like crazy over the summer and lost the weight.

In fact, Doughty told me at the time that he had dropped 15 pounds between the end of the season and the combine ... that is, before the summer. And he was still chubby.

Ellis's body fat: 13.2
Skinfold total (six measurements): 98.2mm
Height: 69 inches
Reach (wingspan): 70.5 inches

He couldn't get to the gym because he was too busy winning the Memorial Cup.

Coach Brisebois*

I'm certainly a bit biased, but my feeling is that players of that "physical" nature will always carve out an NHL career, even if it's on the 3rd-4th line. So while that doesn't seem special by any stretch for a top-15 pick, it's still a lot better than a large portion of all other draft picks in the NHL.

He fights, hits, forechecks hard, plays mean and physical. I think he should have a nice NHL career in some fashion - any offense is a bonus.

And again... I'm biased :D

He was one of the only players I would have liked to see the Habs draft instead of Leblanc... and maybe Ashton Carter.

LoveHateLeafs

Jul 7, 2009
Kassian: He wasn’t even in the top 25 scorers in the U18 tournament in Fargo, with 2g + 3a. This tied him for fifth in Team Canada scoring, having fewer points than three team-mates who aren’t even draft eligible until 2010. Furthermore, 1 of his goals came against the Swiss and all three assists came during an 11-2 thrashing of Germany, which means just one of his five points was scored against an opponent of any quality (Finland). It’s also important to note that Team Canada played in the weaker of the two groups for that tournament (no medallists were in this group), so there were plenty of opportunities for him to run up his stats..

AK

May 31, 2008
I think Kassian and Kadri have pretty high best potential. Kassian is very overrated because he plays in the mold of a classic power forward, and I'm just not particularly dazzled by anything about Kadri.

Analyzer has a point, though. Everyone could bust.

dubey

$$$$$$$*NICE*$$$$$$$ 69 in 79 $$$$$$$*NICE*$$$$$$$
Oct 22, 2006
In your head
I think Kassian and Kadri have pretty high best potential. Kassian is very overrated because he plays in the mold of a classic power forward, and I'm just not particularly dazzled by anything about Kadri.

Analyzer has a point, though. Everyone could bust.
Nothing in this post makes any sense.

Kassian is overrated because he's a power forward? lolwut
Kadri is one of the most talented players in the draft, you must not have been impressed with anyone this year I guess.

Jebuz

Jun 9, 2009
Waterdown
You look at a guy like Peter Holland. Holland has the size, skillset, he's got a lot of tools at his disposal. High side: he plays the game like Eric Staal. Low side: He never sees an NHL rink. It remains to be seen whether or not Holland wants to bring the fire and passion every night. It remains to be seen whether or not he's content watching from the sidelines while his teammates go into the dirty areas to find pucks and scoring chances. He remains to be seen if he'll make the commitment off the ice to the game both physically and mentally. He has a high bust potential in my mind for those very reasons.

Ryan Ellis is another one for me. Does he possess some of the best offensive skillsets in the draft amongst blueliners? You better believe it. He's got a cannon, especially for such a little guy. He handles the power play with coolness and professionalism. What makes you wonder about him is, first, his size. Now, smaller players are becoming a big part of today's NHL game, but a lot of them (St. Louis, Rafalski, Gionta, etc.) all have major wheels...Ellis is up on cinderblocks. Defensively, you really have to wonder about his capability defensively. It makes you think a little when this guy can't contain junior level players that well but yet is very nearly a top 10 pick in an NHL draft. Can he play the pro game consistently 5 on 5? He doesn't have the ol' failsafe of skating and therefore, recovery ability. And then the high body fat at the combine, so, you're small, you're not a great skater, and you come up with that kind of body fat at the combine? That's a little worrisome to me, it's not nearly as big of a deal compared to what I saw on the ice this year (and I think Ray Bourque had like 20% body fat, and it worked out ok for him, or so I've heard)...but still it's icing on the cake (cheap Ellis joke to be made here?)...that's a player that worries down the line.

Yup, suspect defense earns you a +52 rating in the 'O'

What a joke, when are people going to lay off this kid and give him a chance.

Jan 9, 2007
Australia
Neither Daigle or Kilger are busts. Busts don't play 500-700 NHL games. They don't play at all.

Hugh Jessiman is a bust.

Daigle is absolutely a bust. Determination of a bust is at least partly due to draft position, and being drafted #1 overall and having the career he has had, using the past tense here because he's out of the league....327 points just doesn't quite cut it. He wouldn't be a "bust" if he had the same career but was drafted after the first or second round, but he went before a lot of better NHL players.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad