News Article: Burnside: 5 reasons these could be the best Panthers ever

GrumpyKelly

May 15, 2011
Bottom of a bottle
Because you can have great regular season success and still consistently fail in the playoffs (Blues, Sharks, Pens). I think we have to see what pieces work for this team in the playoffs before sending out assets for rentals.

Now I know they should be built for the playoffs but I'd rather wait and see before making that assumption. If we spend assets now only to find out that there are some major parts still missing, we may not have those assets to spend when we really need them.

pb1300

#CatsAreComing
Mar 6, 2002
Αιγιο-ΕΛΛΑΔΑ
Because you can have great regular season success and still consistently fail in the playoffs (Blues, Sharks, Pens). I think we have to see what pieces work for this team in the playoffs before sending out assets for rentals.

Now I know they should be built for the playoffs but I'd rather wait and see before making that assumption. If we spend assets now only to find out that there are some major parts still missing, we may not have those assets to spend when we really need them.

And we can stand pat, sign Buff or another top tier free agent, and end up missing the playoffs. Nothing is a definite here. Its not always about the best team. You need to be hot come the playoffs, and just as important IMO, you need to have a locker room like ours. This team is built for the playoffs, and I think their play, and dare I say it, character proves that. I just cant see with the way this team plays, and with the parity in the league, how you dont make a move at the deadline. Unless there is simply nothing there, you have to take a chance.

CatscratchFever

#CatsAreComing
Dec 11, 2002
O-hi-O
Visit site
And we can stand pat, sign Buff or another top tier free agent, and end up missing the playoffs. Nothing is a definite here. Its not always about the best team. You need to be hot come the playoffs, and just as important IMO, you need to have a locker room like ours. This team is built for the playoffs, and I think their play, and dare I say it, character proves that. I just cant see with the way this team plays, and with the parity in the league, how you dont make a move at the deadline. Unless there is simply nothing there, you have to take a chance.

Hard to question how tight of a group this is. Much like the 96 guys, but with much more skill. Young, vets, experience, tending. It's all there. Tallon doesn't seem the type to throw a bunch at a rental, but I believe he is looking hard for an edge.

pb1300

#CatsAreComing
Mar 6, 2002
Αιγιο-ΕΛΛΑΔΑ
Hard to question how tight of a group this is. Much like the 96 guys, but with much more skill. Young, vets, experience, tending. It's all there. Tallon doesn't seem the type to throw a bunch at a rental, but I believe he is looking hard for an edge.

You can tell that this team is a close group, just listen to them speak. And there might be a similarity or two with the 96 team, but make no mistake, this is a MUCH better team. This is by far the most skilled team we have ever iced, and we have some of the best veteran leadership in the league. Its just the perfect mix. Again, Im not saying to sell the farm for someone, because we do not need much, but if there right deal is there, you have to make it. Its time a pick/picks and/or a prospect or two are moved for a more sure thing.

ShootIt

Nov 8, 2008

IMO Tallon is holding out for the TDL, especially with the team clicking well, at least the top 6 and the 4th line is ok. Think we'll see a winger for Bjugstad, just that the asking prices now may be too high with so many teams technically still in the hunt for the playoffs. By the TDL, we should have a better idea who are legit sellers.

So, I think he will be more inclined by Feb 29 to get a rental, either at FWD or defense, when teams are more willing to negotiate.

Jean Luc Discard

Jul 11, 2014

Tallon is an assets-guy and most likely he's gonna look for an advantage via free agency so that the org doesn't have to hemorrhage assets to other teams. Thus, I believe that Stamkos is in his sights. What would be a better way to spark rivalry with the bolts, and add firepower while subtracting fp at the same time from a division rival (TBL/TML). Imagine facing Stamkos as a bolts fan for the next 8 years.

Last edited:

EstConf96*

Tallon is an assets-guy and most likely he's gonna look for an advantage via free agency so that the org doesn't have to hemorrhage assets to other teams. Thus, I believe that Stamkos is in his sights. What would be a better way to spark rivalry with the bolts, and add firepower while subtracting fp at the same time from a division rival (TBL/TML). Imagine facing Stamkos as a bolts fan for the next 8 years.

This confuses me. Do you for real think there is a chance of this to happen?

IM Clutcm

Jun 20, 2014
Miami, FL
This confuses me. Do you for real think there is a chance of this to happen?

1ptlyb.gif

EstConf96*

I do not get the message with this gif? This would have been a perfect time to use of my Tom Cruise gif.

Chino Oscar

Jul 22, 2002
West Palm Beach
Burnside ESPN article

Pretty much sums up what we have been defending for so long. This is a GOOD NHL team. Some people here say that we arent contenders, but I believe we are contenders. Some say Tallon shouldnt go all in for a player that might get us over the top. I say, why not? Im not trying to sell the future, but this team is built for the playoffs, and we know that once you get in, anything can happen. I believe that if the opportunity presents itself, and Tallon needs to jump on it. This isnt the 11-12 Panthers, or the 07 Thrashers, we are seeing the rise of one of the new powerhouses in the NHL.

I like the enthusiasm, but Tallon has said repeteadly that he will not sacrifice the future for rentals, and that he won't overpay for anyone at this moment (guess he learned from the contract to you-know-who).

I wouldn't mind, but looking at the contracts being handed out to Bjugstad, Barkov... and pending contracts to Guddy, Ekblad, Trocheck, Hubby in two years, I just don't see them spending big atm. And yes, I know some contracts will be coming off the books...

pb1300

#CatsAreComing
Mar 6, 2002
Αιγιο-ΕΛΛΑΔΑ
I like the enthusiasm, but Tallon has said repeteadly that he will not sacrifice the future for rentals, and that he won't overpay for anyone at this moment (guess he learned from the contract to you-know-who).

I wouldn't mind, but looking at the contracts being handed out to Bjugstad, Barkov... and pending contracts to Guddy, Ekblad, Trocheck, Hubby in two years, I just don't see them spending big atm. And yes, I know some contracts will be coming off the books...

I never said that he needs to sacrifice the future, I said the exact opposite. I thought I made that quite clear. Tallon has said that he would look around, and if the move makes sense for the team now, and down the road as well, then he would consider it.

Jean Luc Discard

Jul 11, 2014
http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=432965

"We had talked to Ritch Winter, (Hossa's) agent, last year briefly, but I think the success the team had last year helped influence his decision," Chicago GM Dale Tallon said. "It's nice to know that players want to come here. How could you not? We have a great, young team, we sell out every night in a great building that is rocking and it's a great city to live in. Those were all the things Marian was concerned about and he made his decision based off of that."

Option no. 1 - Stamkos stays in TBL: It's not going to be great team due to Killorn, Kucherov... leaving via trades. And another one or two players incl. Johnson or Palat leaving on the next year when TBL has to pay Hedman.

Option no. 2 - Stamkos goes to TML: A team on their 2nd year of rebuild. Not so much of consistent winning in sight regardless of Babcock at the helm.

Option no. 3 - Panthers or some other team fit for playoffs with cap space.

Considering how beneficial signing Hossa was, Tallon most likely wants to find a player that has a similar impact for this team that Hossa had for Hawks.

IM Clutcm

Jun 20, 2014
Miami, FL
http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=432965

"We had talked to Ritch Winter, (Hossa's) agent, last year briefly, but I think the success the team had last year helped influence his decision," Chicago GM Dale Tallon said. "It's nice to know that players want to come here. How could you not? We have a great, young team, we sell out every night in a great building that is rocking and it's a great city to live in. Those were all the things Marian was concerned about and he made his decision based off of that."

Option no. 1 - Stamkos stays in TBL: It's not going to be great team due to Killorn, Kucherov... leaving via trades. And another one or two players incl. Johnson or Palat leaving on the next year when TBL has to pay Hedman.

Option no. 2 - Stamkos goes to TML: A team on their 2nd year of rebuild. Not so much of consistent winning in sight regardless of Babcock at the helm.

Option no. 3 - Panthers or some other team fit for playoffs with cap space.

Considering how beneficial signing Hossa was, Tallon most likely wants to find a player that has a similar impact for this team that Hossa had for Hawks.

I'm not crazy about committing that kind of money to someone like Stamkos. I don't see where he fits and he's not the same player he was before the injury.

Jean Luc Discard

Jul 11, 2014
I'm not crazy about committing that kind of money to someone like Stamkos. I don't see where he fits and he's not the same player he was before the injury.

The thing is that Tallon is the kind of guy that is crazy about committing. He's got the history to back it up and also he's got proof that this is the next move because of Hawks' success.

Well.. Stamkos still somehow managed to score another 40g in the following season.

EstConf96*

The thing is that Tallon is the kind of guy that is crazy about committing. He's got the history to back it up and also he's got proof that this is the next move because of Hawks' success.

Well.. Stamkos still somehow managed to score another 40g in the following season.

So we deem Ladd and Buff to expensive but adding a 10+ million a year Stamkos makes sense? I guess i have seen it all now. What would it even take to get him here as a rental? 1st + Pirri + + ????

EstConf96*

I mean, there are a lot of folks (myself included) that are hesitant to add a big money free agent, especially before locking up the young guys. Trocheck, Gudbranson, Ekblad, Huberdeau, Smith, Kulikov...they all need new deals in the next year or so.

Wishfull thinking on my side. Gudbranson $4.0 for 6 years. Huberdeau $6.0 for 6 years. Trocheck $3.5 for 4 years. Smith $3.5 for 4 years. Ekblad $6.5 for 8 years.

Total: $24 million.

Jean Luc Discard

Jul 11, 2014
I mean, there are a lot of folks (myself included) that are hesitant to add a big money free agent, especially before locking up the young guys. Trocheck, Gudbranson, Ekblad, Huberdeau, Smith, Kulikov...they all need new deals in the next year or so.

I understand. From the same article above:

"Kane, Toews and Keith are all due new contracts after this season and they will command top dollar. Seabrook and Dustin Byfuglien are each signed for another two seasons before they could potentially become restricted free agents."
"The type of contract that Marian has agreed to will not influence our core," Tallon said. "They will get taken care of. We have identified who the top guys are in our organization and this will not affect that."

Apparently Buff wasn't part of Hawks core. Thus, some of Cats are not going to be here in a few years. But who knows what's gonna happen.

EstConf96*

"Kane, Toews and Keith are all due new contracts after this season and they will command top dollar. Seabrook and Dustin Byfuglien are each signed for another two seasons before they could potentially become restricted free agents."
"The type of contract that Marian has agreed to will not influence our core," Tallon said. "They will get taken care of. We have identified who the top guys are in our organization and this will not affect that."

Apparently Buff wasn't part of Hawks core. Thus, some of Cats are not going to be here in a few years. But who knows what's gonna happen.

Keith is under a contract that is now ilegal so is Hossa. To bad the NHL still allows them.

IM Clutcm

Jun 20, 2014
Miami, FL

Like ECF said, the Hossa contract isn't legal anymore, so Stammer is going to have a massive caphit. I'm not interested in being the team that has to pay it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad