News Article: Burnside: 5 reasons these could be the best Panthers ever

ShootIt

Nov 8, 2008
Not to mention Stamkos doesn't want to play on the wing. So, we then have Stamkos at 9-10+ million cap hit, Barkov at 5.9, Bjugstad at 4.1, Bolland at 5.5 and then Trocheck probably in the 3-4 million range. All natural, better fits at center.
Not to mention guys like MacK and Knight.

Bolland could be bought out, but that's a long cap blemish.

Stamkos could want out because he and Cooper don't get along. Or, he wants to play in his hometown, no one truly knows outside Stamkos and his inner circle. I just don't see him moving south, other than for an extreme overpayment to come to Sunrise. It's not like Tampa is in a rebuild, they are still playoff bound+

Anyways, on to the original topic, yes this team could be the best Panthers team ever. Sadly, outside of the 96 team, we have fielded not so great teams.
The way it's looking, we could be playoff bound almost every year for the shortterm future. We have talent, size, physicality and a strong lockerroom.

WESEERED

#CatsAreComing
Apr 20, 2012
Wishfull thinking on my side. Gudbranson $4.0 for 6 years. Huberdeau $6.0 for 6 years. Trocheck $3.5 for 4 years. Smith $3.5 for 4 years. Ekblad $6.5 for 8 years.

Total: $24 million.
No way is hubby getting more than Barky........

FrolikFan67

Apr 29, 2012

well, he "shouldn't", but look at the agents involved. i had a feeling, like most, that negotiating with barkov wasnt going to be a hassle, and wasnt surprised that he signed a fair affordable contract. apparently they agreed to the terms rather quickly from what i read. different players have different mind sets and different agents, so you never know. but it does give tallon a step up on negotiating.

on the subject of the article, when everything is healthy i do feel like this is the best team we've had. i feel like we can beat anyone on any night, and when it comes to the playoffs then i think why not us because i think we are built for success. strong goaltending (both of them), strong defense consisting of a star in ekblad, and distributed offense but you have a top two-way big bodied center in barkov, the leader in jagr, a blend of size and skill, and we have depth.

coopdaloop123

Mar 11, 2013
FL

He probably will. That's the risk you take with a bridge contract. If he leads the team in scoring another season -- coupled w/ a rising salary cap -- there's a good chance he could get more if he keeps evolving. As for Ekblad, if WPG gives Trouba 6.5-7 mil per (as some have reported) than his contract could be a doozy.

FrolikFan67

Apr 29, 2012
i don't think trouba gets that, but if ekblad keeps it up, and keeps it up through next season while staying healthy then my guess is 7-8per for 8yrs, 7 would be a steal imo, around 8 is probably what he'll get and would be fair for both sides imo.

coopdaloop123

Mar 11, 2013
FL
i don't think trouba gets that, but if ekblad keeps it up, and keeps it up through next season while staying healthy then my guess is 7-8per for 8yrs, 7 would be a steal imo, around 8 is probably what he'll get and would be fair for both sides imo.

I wouldn't be surprised to see 7 mil if he has another monster year. 1st round pick, 2x All-Star (maybe 3 by the time of the contract) and a Calder Trophy. All of that comes to the negotiating table.

pb1300

#CatsAreComing
Mar 6, 2002
Αιγιο-ΕΛΛΑΔΑ
He probably will. That's the risk you take with a bridge contract. If he leads the team in scoring another season -- coupled w/ a rising salary cap -- there's a good chance he could get more if he keeps evolving. As for Ekblad, if WPG gives Trouba 6.5-7 mil per (as some have reported) than his contract could be a doozy.

I dont see him getting more than Barkov. Barkov is the leader of the forward group, our most important player, along with Eks, and I cant see Huby getting more than him. I think Barkov getting that amount actually helps us in the long run. Id expect Huby to get between $5-5.5 per. Ekblad I can see getting around $7 million per long term.

RogerRoger

Jul 23, 2013
I dont see him getting more than Barkov. Barkov is the leader of the forward group, our most important player, along with Eks, and I cant see Huby getting more than him. I think Barkov getting that amount actually helps us in the long run. Id expect Huby to get between $5-5.5 per. Ekblad I can see getting around $7 million per long term.

If Huberdeau leads the team in points for 3 years in a row, he'll get more than 6M.

pb1300

#CatsAreComing
Mar 6, 2002
Αιγιο-ΕΛΛΑΔΑ
If Huberdeau leads the team in points for 3 years in a row, he'll get more than 6M.

Guess we will agree to disagree. I don't see anyone getting more than Barkov, other than Ekblad. And even if he does lead the team in scoring, I doubt his point total would be substantially more than Barkov's, to the point where he would earn more.

I am not exposed

Mar 16, 2014
Vancouver

Prepare to be surprised. With the way he is putting up points, and him ending on a bridge deal, I expect him to get at least $6m per year. That is the trouble with bridge deals if the player performs well, they get paid.

JP Mick

Sep 24, 2008
Homestead, FL
Guess we will agree to disagree. I don't see anyone getting more than Barkov, other than Ekblad. And even if he does lead the team in scoring, I doubt his point total would be substantially more than Barkov's, to the point where he would earn more.

I think what others are saying is that you are thinking about these contracts too logically. IE: Best player=Most money and all contracts will trickle down from there based purely on skill per dollar. Unfortunately it usually isn't that neat, such is life.
Hubes might get paid more than you think because of his unique fit on this team. He would be expensive to replace.

pb1300

#CatsAreComing
Mar 6, 2002
Αιγιο-ΕΛΛΑΔΑ
I think what others are saying is that you are thinking about these contracts too logically. IE: Best player=Most money and all contracts will trickle down from there based purely on skill per dollar. Unfortunately it usually isn't that neat, such is life.
Hubes might get paid more than you think because of his unique fit on this team. He would be expensive to replace.

No, Im not thinking that way. Im thinking that even if Huby leads the team in points, Barkov will not be that far behind. Taking that into account, along with how Barkov is our best 200' player, hence our best player on the ice, I dont see Huberdeau getting more. And with these two probably playing a good majority of their future on the same line, I doubt one score considerably more than the other.

I am not exposed

Mar 16, 2014
Vancouver
No, Im not thinking that way. Im thinking that even if Huby leads the team in points, Barkov will not be that far behind. Taking that into account, along with how Barkov is our best 200' player, hence our best player on the ice, I dont see Huberdeau getting more. And with these two probably playing a good majority of their future on the same line, I doubt one score considerably more than the other.

But signing whilst on an ELC, and signing after a bridge deal is different. I would be pleasantly surprised if Hubs got less than Barkov. But the way he is racking up points, expect to see at least $6m per year on his next contract.

pb1300

#CatsAreComing
Mar 6, 2002
Αιγιο-ΕΛΛΑΔΑ
But signing whilst on an ELC, and signing after a bridge deal is different. I would be pleasantly surprised if Hubs got less than Barkov. But the way he is racking up points, expect to see at least $6m per year on his next contract.

Signing a bridge doesnt mean a thing. Its what you do in those years. Barkov is the best all around player of the two. He and Huberdeau will likely be close points wise. While Huby is not bad defensively, Barkov is obviously better. Considering these things, you think Huby gets more because he signed a bridge deal? I dont see him getting more than $6 a year.

I am not exposed

Mar 16, 2014
Vancouver
Signing a bridge doesnt mean a thing. Its what you do in those years. Barkov is the best all around player of the two. He and Huberdeau will likely be close points wise. While Huby is not bad defensively, Barkov is obviously better. Considering these things, you think Huby gets more because he signed a bridge deal? I dont see him getting more than $6 a year.

It does though. Especially if he leads the team in points again! If players prove themselves in a bridge deal, which it looks like Huberdeau will do, then they get paid! And I believe it will be more than $6m a year.

Bakov took a discount for the long term security of 6 years. I can't see Huberdeau doing the same.

I am not exposed

Mar 16, 2014
Vancouver

But you're not taking into account the potential increase in cap, and that players who perform well during their bridge deals get paid.

Personally, I don't think Hubs should get paid more than Barkov. But it obviously doesn't work like that.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad