Injury Report: Burns injury?

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002
Injuries are bad, but the silver lining is that players get to rest. Rest is so critical.

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
Earlier in the season:

1) Burns
2) Vlasic
3) Braun
4) Dillon
5) Ryan
6) Heed
7) DeMelo

Then:

1) Burns
2) Vlasic
3) Braun
4) Dillon
5) Ryan
6) DeMelo
7) In the AHL

Now:

1) Vlasic
2) Braun
3) Dillon
4) Ryan
5) DeMelo
6) Hurt
7) In the AHL

It almost seems convenient that it enables someone's upward mobility.

DeMeloDundundun.gif

DUN DUN DUN!!!!!

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
Injuries are bad, but the silver lining is that players get to rest. Rest is so critical.

Yes, absolutely. Couture's 30 points in 24 playoff games will probably stand as a franchise record for a long time and he is nowhere near the most talented scorer in franchise history, nor the best playoff performer. He also missed like 15 games that year. I remember when he was out, we went just barely above .500, and were near being out of a playoff spot at the ASG, things looked bleak. Then a well rested Couture feasted on easier line matchups and put up a historic playoff performance, with 11 more points than the Conn Smythe winner.

However, timing is very important. Last year, Thornton and Couture got hurt at the wrong time and we lost to a pretty weak team in the playoffs, primarily in part because Couture and Thornton were shells of their former selves.

When it comes to Thornton, though, I don't know that I'm seeing any silver lining. He is 38 years old and just had a major surgery at the end of last season. In all honesty, I'm expecting Thornton not to play another game this season; I will be pleasantly surprised if anything else happens.

I'm sure Burns will be fine and even if he is hurt, I expect him to play through it. He's got an ironman streak going. As much as I have been critical of his defensive play this year, I think the third period of tonight's game showed us where we are as a possession team without him (and without Hertl and Thornton); bad. Burns is actually an elite possession player who plays over 25 minutes per game and is at 54.58% CF. His major defensive errors lead to extremely high danger scoring chances (explained by his poor xGF% and real GF% numbers) quite often but he is an absolute possession monster and without him I actually think we are a weak possession team.

Glad to have Dr. Braun’s diagnosis. :laugh:

Braun is rarely interviewed but when he is he comes up with some gems. I remember when Jamie Baker asked him if he had been adding more offense to his game (he had been on like a point streak) and he was just like "no" and then laughed.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad