Burns and Karlsson VS Tavares and Matthews

who will be more dominant this year?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Future

Feb 8, 2011
Ontario
It still amazes me to this day how people can watch NHL hockey games involving the Maple Leafs, watch Auston Matthews play, and cannot see that he is easily a top 5 player in the league and just a unique, once in a generation player.

First game back in a month and he generated consistent offense, total domination of a great team.

Just use your eyes, he stands out pretty clearly. Whether it is his puck-handling, board play, playmaking, shooting, defensive play, he is an amazing player in every aspect.

Frankie Blueberries

Allergic to draft picks
Jan 27, 2016
It still amazes me to this day how people can watch NHL hockey games involving the Maple Leafs, watch Auston Matthews play, and cannot see that he is easily a top 5 player in the league and just a unique, once in a generation player.

First game back in a month and he generated consistent offense, total domination of a great team.

Just use your eyes, he stands out pretty clearly. Whether it is his puck-handling, board play, playmaking, shooting, defensive play, he is an amazing player in every aspect.

Matthews, as it currently stands, is not generational. McDavid is the only generational player still in his prime right now (Crosby, Ovechkin, and Malkin were but are slowly starting to decline).

Matthews is in the next tier as elite, along with MacKinnon, Rantanen, etc.

varano

Jun 27, 2013

Sorry... He isnt there.

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
I'm not telling you to bet on it.

But your last post you said "we have the answer". No we don't - it's too early, and Karlsson/Burns are too good to be discounted after 25 games (especially since, Burns is actually doing really good, and Karlsson is starting to pick up slowly).

It's just my observations from watching both teams lately. Matthews > Burns, Tavares > Karlsson. It was that way last season and so far this season and I expect it to continue. Obviously it's possible the Leafs players start playing some of the worst hockey of their careers but I somehow doubt it. Remember Karlsson is still recovering from the offseason surgery and it's not a given he gets back to 100%. Matthews is still developing as a player and Tavares will keep potting goals on that team.

Last edited:

authentic

Jan 28, 2015

Seriously this times a hundred. Too many people on here are delusional.

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
It's just my observations from watching both teams lately. Matthews > Burns, Tavares > Karlsson. It was that way last season and so far this season and I expect it to continue. Obviously it's possible the Leafs players start playing some of the worst hockey of their careers but I somehow doubt it. Remember Karlsson is still recovering from the offseason surgery and it's not a given he gets back to 100%. Matthews is still developing as a player and Tavares will keep potting goals on that team.

I don't think the bolded will happen. Both having great years and it likely continues. I've been very impressed with Matthews this year.

I just think Karlsson especially has another gear yet to reach - and he's finally playing on a deep team - i wouldn't discount him just yet. He can still end up having the best season out of the 4, without any of the other 3 even regressing. He's a pretty special player

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
I don't think the bolded will happen. Both having great years and it likely continues. I've been very impressed with Matthews this year.

I just think Karlsson especially has another gear yet to reach - and he's finally playing on a deep team - i wouldn't discount him just yet. He can still end up having the best season out of the 4, without any of the other 3 even regressing. He's a pretty special player

I think he has another gear, that gear isn't a better player than Matthews though IMO, agree to disagree.

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
It’s amazkng you guys can post stuff like this without acknowledging that Matthews has missed half the season so far.

I especially like the point about how if Karlsson scored more, there would be a smaller gap. Brilliant stuff.

Do you honestly believe healthy Matthews and Tavares would outscore them by 60 points? Because if not, I'm not sure what your issue is considering that's what I was criticizing.

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
Sorry... He isnt there.

The following players are the only ones you could say are better based on their actual play and not career accomplishments...

McDavid
MacKinnon
Crosby
Malkin

He is objectively better at the game of hockey than the rest of the NHL.

SotasicA

Aug 25, 2014

How is top 5 unique? Should he not be five times in a generation player? Just going by what you said.

Mar 26, 2010
The following players are the only ones you could say are better based on their actual play and not career accomplishments...

McDavid
MacKinnon
Crosby
Malkin

He is objectively better at the game of hockey than the rest of the NHL.
He is better than a few of them as well.

glucker

Aug 22, 2008
London, ON
Do you honestly believe healthy Matthews and Tavares would outscore them by 60 points? Because if not, I'm not sure what your issue is considering that's what I was criticizing.
No, not by 60.

My issue is saying that they're only 8 points apart, without even mentioning that Matthews has missed half the season so far. That's a pretty big thing to leave out when considering how far apart the two sets are.

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Literally every member of the media has called Matthews generational, but I’ll go with the opinion of HF members.
LOL! According to the media there's at least 5 generational players every two years. I don't think either you or the media understand what the term even means.

Willy Styles

Nov 5, 2014
York Region
LOL! According to the media there's at least 5 generational players every two years. I don't think either you or the media understand what the term even means.

Could you direct me to these media members please? The only players that are in the generational conversation as per a majority of the media are McDavid, Matthews and Dahlin.

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Could you direct me to these media members please? The only players that are in the generational conversation as per a majority of the media are McDavid, Matthews and Dahlin.
A majority of the media? :laugh: Maybe the Toronto media.
Hint: Generational means once in a generation. Neither Matthews and those in the same group of him like McKinnon, Eichel and Laine are generational. Neither is Dahlin.

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
No, not by 60.

My issue is saying that they're only 8 points apart, without even mentioning that Matthews has missed half the season so far. That's a pretty big thing to leave out when considering how far apart the two sets are.

Well the initial post didn't mention health, which is one of the issues with predicting large margins of victory in any pure points comparison. It would likely require both Tavares and Matthews to stay healthy and one of Karlsson or Burns to miss significant time. Hence why I responded asking which of Burns or Karlsson would miss half the year.

Brobust

Sep 29, 2017
Once again, to nobody's suprise, HFBoards members are completely wrong in their prediction involving leafs players.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad