TSN: Burke: Tanking Not a Consideration for Flames

MuffinMerc

Come watch TV
Jan 23, 2013
If we keep building a winning environment for these kids, and maybe not add a Reinhart or an Ekblad but a Dal Colle, Ritchie or Fleury... this can only be considered a good piece to add to the already healthy core that is establishing.

Theo Fleury or Marc Andre Fleury?

Hand of Gaudreau

Gaudreaubey Baker
Jul 14, 2008
Edmonton
Here's my take - this team is starting to win and develop good habits, even without the 2014 draft pick. This is a terrific thing - it suggests we don't need a young superstar player to have this team see success; in other words, we're seeing success by committee. In the world of cold streaks, injuries and contract disputes, this is probably a more proactive approach to long-term success rather than reliance on a single source of production.

If we keep building a winning environment for these kids, and maybe not add a Reinhart or an Ekblad but a Dal Colle, Ritchie or Fleury... this can only be considered a good piece to add to the already healthy core that is establishing.

Ekblad and Reinhart or very nice pieces; but in the context of where the Flames are going as a team, perhaps not critically required.

The team has drafted and developed talent coming through the system for the first time ever, and and the group looks fantastic. There is also the opportunity to give a FA some money to come play here, with a core that plays extremely well together, with a system that seems to work when the players buy into, in an organizational build that can quickly patch holes made by injuries because the farm team plays an identical system, so there is no break in period for injury call-ups. I like the future that management and coaching is showing us.

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
Dont tank but you better have a kick ass scouting staff otherwise your team will be pathetic forever

YMCMBYOLO

WEDABEST
Mar 30, 2009
We still need better defensive prospects and that #1/2 C. our wings are completely fine. if not, trade Baerts/Klimchuk/Gaudreau for an elite centre/defenseman.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
We still need better defensive prospects and that #1/2 C. our wings are completely fine. if not, trade Baerts/Klimchuk/Gaudreau for an elite centre/defenseman.

Very true.

I think the Oilers, Islanders and Canes will all be better next year. The Panthers should be as well especially with Lou. Huberdeau will probably breakout, and Barkov is a special player. The Isles biggest issue is their young defence, but man are they going to be scary down the road, De Haan, Reinhart, Hamonic and Hickey, those are very good young defenders. The Sabres will suck hard again, I think we are a lock to finish bottom 2 along with them.

Aug 3, 2010

How many teams are looking for prospects for rebuild AND are in the position (aka selling) to be selling their elite defenseman or centre which ALSO happens to be fitting Calgary's age range?

I never understood this line of thinking - you don't just luck into that situation. Most of the time you DO have to expect them to be drafted and developed into the League.

Last edited:

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
Here's what I don't get. McDavid is instantly the removal from future tanking. He's like Sidney.Crosby entering free agency and will sign only with your team. Drafting a player like that tells me the team is ready to be competitive.

Not really. Crosby's first year in the NHL had the Penguins picking 2nd overall despite him putting up over a 100 points. Similarily, the Capitals had the 4th overall pick despite Ovechkin getting more than a 100 points (more than 50 goals) as well.

McDavid doesn't seem to be on the same level as Crosby. He'll likely be a franchise/elite player, but he's not going to instantly take any team out of the basement by himself.

I think both the Islanders and the Oilers are on their way up since both have hit rock bottom. Both teams are a new coach, a goalie and 1-2 defenseman away from 15 more points in the standings. Sabres, Flames, Predators, and Panthers should be the worst teams next season.

Much easier said than done. Islanders really only need a decent goalie and a new coach to be on their way to respectability but the Oilers need a massive overhaul. Eakins alone guarantee's them a bottom five finish next year. The free agent market is weak as always so unless they're willing to part with assets like their 2014 first, 2015 first and Eberle to address their various weaknesses, they're going to continue to struggle for the foreseeable future.

The Panthers have a new owner and the greenlight to spend. They might be surprisingly competitive next season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad