TSN: Burke: Tanking Not a Consideration for Flames

StreakingRed

Jan 4, 2007
Calgary, Alberta
Good podcast interview with Burke.

http://www2.tsn.ca/window/podcastcentre/#id=29257&id=13

Being as honest and blunt and usual, Brian Burke emphatically denied he would in any way consider tanking over the next couple of seasons to secure a top–end draft pick, even with his Flames in rebuilding mode.

“If the coach made the suggestion I would fire him on the spot,†Burke said Thursday on TSN 1050. “If I made the suggestion I would suggest to ownership that they fire me on the spot.â€

The Flames president also discussed his timetable for hiring a new GM, the job Bob Hartley's done as Calgary's head coach and what made him deal for Phil Kessel following a draft day interview he deemed “pathetic.â€

MuffinMerc

Come watch TV
Jan 23, 2013
Yes, we know this.

Too bad though, I would really like to tank next season. McDavid could be the real ****.

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
The Flames won't intentionally be gunning for the first overall pick next year, but they won't be doing very much to avoid it either.

But there's no out-tanking the Sabres or Oilers anyway.

Beats By CoRD

Tommy Fresh
Jul 12, 2009
In The Studio
www.myflashstore.net
Quoted for future reference.

1368113726727.gif

MarkGio

Nov 6, 2010
Here's what I don't get. McDavid is instantly the removal from future tanking. He's like Sidney.Crosby entering free agency and will sign only with your team. Drafting a player like that tells me the team is ready to be competitive.

What the Flames did with Iginla and Kipper? That might not have been tanking, but it also wasn't competitive. Not legitimately competitive anyways.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Here's what I don't get. McDavid is instantly the removal from future tanking. He's like Sidney.Crosby entering free agency and will sign only with your team. Drafting a player like that tells me the team is ready to be competitive.

What the Flames did with Iginla and Kipper? That might not have been tanking, but it also wasn't competitive. Not legitimately competitive anyways.

I'm not so willing to make statements like that. First of all, it's hard to say whether the Penguins are legitimately a cup contender if their only star is Crosby. Secondly, it's hard to say whether McDavid will actually be that good. Thirdly, Iginla was as good as you would hope for any 1st overall pick. There was a stretch of a few years where he was legitimately the best hockey player in the world. There was also a stretch where Kipper was the best goalie in the world. The Flames not being legit cup contenders was not because the stars weren't elite enough, it was because everyone else wasn't. That problem is not fixed by tanking for a season.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
Iggy and Kipper were both acquired via trade, not by tanking. It's to bad Burke wasn't here when we dealt Iggy and Jbo. Hopefully Klimchuk and Poirier turn out to be special. Poirier is the higher ranked prospect, but Klimchuk does have the potential to be more dynamic.

JulianHopper*

How do you tell a young team with players like Monahan to tank? You don't because you would kill any chemistry, camaraderie and team effort which you have to work on building in the first place.

A team should always focus on winning and getting better. When the regular season ends then the team can focus on the draft and their picking order.

When it comes to the draft you have to let things play out on their own. Sure you can make trades to get picks or to move up but you shouldn't try and improve your status by cheating which is what tanking is. It's dishonest and bad karma for your whole organization.

So I agree with Burke here and that people in the organization that want to tank should be fired.

Kanye

Life of Pablo
Feb 25, 2012
Chicago
Did any of you guys check out the thread in the main forum after yesterdays win? People were actually saying how we are screwing up our rebuild by winning. I got a laugh out of it.

Mr Lebowski

Go Flames
Feb 18, 2014
Toronto
The Flames won't intentionally be gunning for the first overall pick next year, but they won't be doing very much to avoid it either.

But there's no out-tanking the Sabres or Oilers anyway.

Completely agree, even though we're not trying to tank it doesn't mean we won't have a high pick. You could build a franchise around Eichel as well. And the Oiler won't finish bottom 2 again. It's NYI and BUF that we have to worry about

HAKAN LOOB

Oct 5, 2013
Did any of you guys check out the thread in the main forum after yesterdays win? People were actually saying how we are screwing up our rebuild by winning. I got a laugh out of it.

That's a kind way of describing Oilers fans ;)

joeyabs

May 15, 2013
SoDoSoPa
At the GM meetings in Florida they have proposed to adjust the lottery system after this year as well (system not developed yet) - I'm assuming to make it less of a lock to get the number one pick finishing last. So this is good.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012

If you take the last ten years, remove Sid and Kane; how many of those teams actually won a cup on the backs of their number 1 picks. And arguably, if you look at Kane on his own, there's no chance in hell Hawks even are half as good of a team without Toews.

At HF it's the same ****.
Draft picks = the only good pickups in sports.
Tanking = Only model to rebuild

Flames won't be picking any lower than 5th this year, so it's not a big deal; it's nice to get a nice win like that and get confidence up. This year there's really no definite top class (maybe Reinhart, and Ekblad... but the gap isn't as bad as previous years) and a few games won, won't signal the difference between getting a mega-star and a good player (See last year).
Whoever the Flames end up with, Reinhart, Dal Colle, Bennett or Drasaitl; I honestly don't think that it will completely bust the Flames for years to come, all four of those guys have top 6 written all over them... some better than others, but all are real deal players.

Honestly; a good draft this year, a few good signings and a couple hockey trades, Flames could be competing in a couple years for a playoff spot.

MarkGio

Nov 6, 2010
Completely agree, even though we're not trying to tank it doesn't mean we won't have a high pick. You could build a franchise around Eichel as well. And the Oiler won't finish bottom 2 again. It's NYI and BUF that we have to worry about

I think both the Islanders and the Oilers are on their way up since both have hit rock bottom. Both teams are a new coach, a goalie and 1-2 defenseman away from 15 more points in the standings. Sabres, Flames, Predators, and Panthers should be the worst teams next season.

tyflames

Jul 4, 2010
I think both the Islanders and the Oilers are on their way up since both have hit rock bottom. Both teams are a new coach, a goalie and 1-2 defenseman away from 15 more points in the standings. Sabres, Flames, Predators, and Panthers should be the worst teams next season.

I would say the Islanders are certainly on the way up if they add some goaltending and scoring depth. But I'm not so sure about Edmonton. That team still has a very poor defence and hasn't bought into the idea of playing at both ends of the ice. In my opinion they are still a few years from being competitive.

Hand of Gaudreau

Gaudreaubey Baker
Jul 14, 2008
Edmonton
I would say the Islanders are certainly on the way up if they add some goaltending and scoring depth. But I'm not so sure about Edmonton. That team still has a very poor defence and hasn't bought into the idea of playing at both ends of the ice. In my opinion they are still a few years from being competitive.

That team is 4 players buying into a team game away from being dominant. You see it sometimes, but until the Hall, RNH, Eberle, and Schultz decide to play the game the coach designs for everyone else, that team will continue to lose, while at the same time, showing enough talent to baffle everyones minds as to why they are SOOOO bad. The talent is absolutely right there, the extreme amount of non-buy-in is also right in your face with that squad. Also, apparently they practice like a house league team.

Ice Cream Man

$1 Oysters
Aug 22, 2002
Visit site
Here's my take - this team is starting to win and develop good habits, even without the 2014 draft pick. This is a terrific thing - it suggests we don't need a young superstar player to have this team see success; in other words, we're seeing success by committee. In the world of cold streaks, injuries and contract disputes, this is probably a more proactive approach to long-term success rather than reliance on a single source of production.

If we keep building a winning environment for these kids, and maybe not add a Reinhart or an Ekblad but a Dal Colle, Ritchie or Fleury... this can only be considered a good piece to add to the already healthy core that is establishing.

Ekblad and Reinhart or very nice pieces; but in the context of where the Flames are going as a team, perhaps not critically required.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad