Proposal: Building for 2021-2022

Status
Not open for further replies.

DarkandStormy

Apr 29, 2014
Rebuild or Reload: Can the Blue Jackets Be Contenders Next Year?

upload_2021-6-3_11-21-20.png

upload_2021-6-3_11-21-39.png

Those two trades get you:
upload_2021-6-3_11-22-13.png

Not including any FA signings like Lehtonen, Foligno, etc.

Reactions: CPTN71

DarkandStormy

Apr 29, 2014
Depending on the extensions we give out to MDZ and Laine in that, that just might put us over the salary cap.

Right around $76m by my math, but that doesn't include cap hits for 13-14 Fs, 7-8 D, so...it'd be a tight fit.

Not saying I recommend those moves, but it would fall under a retool/reload, though that D would be subpar.

thebus88

19/20 Columbus Blue Jackets: "It Is What It Is"
Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
For anybody who wants to hear it, I’d rather have my top line winger combo as Nyquist/Bemstrom than Laine/Atkinson.

Atkinson’s game has completely fallen and people simply have forgotten how good Nyquist actually can be, however he was an unjustified scapegoat when playing many times also, imo.

Laine should probably be dangled for a defenseman or center. Texier and Roslovic should be put on the wing.

Jenner should be put back at center. He’s more than fine as a 2C on all ends of the ice.

thebus88

Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
Also, anybody who thinks a Laine-Eichel 1-2 punch wins any meaningful hockey games is out of their mind.

Not to mention most of these people have Werenski as the 1D in these scenarios….

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
This roster reminds me
CfaHLEvFpbpX8ephpq3k4yGy.png

...Nyquist actually can be, however he was an unjustified scapegoat when playing many times also, imo...

Nyquist was injured and his conditions are under question.

Laine should probably be dangled for a defenseman or center. Texier and Roslovic should be put on the wing.
Laine has small value now but his potential is huge. If a trade we should wait IMHO.

Xoggz22

Mar 4, 2002
Columbus, Ohio
Call me crazy but I don't want Eichel. That injury and he's pegged as a problem child. Clearly an amazing talent but I don't think this team wins much more with him at C and losing the other pieces. I'm also not interested in adding #5OA to Jones for a huge contract like Marner. I think that contract and Toronto's position with the CAP should have them retain or add a pick. I think Jones is being undersold because 1) awful year for CBJ and 2) analytics only tell you part of the story. Just my opinion but I think we can make better use of assets to set up for longer term (and even short turnaround) success.

DarkandStormy

Apr 29, 2014
For anybody who wants to hear it, I’d rather have my top line winger combo as Nyquist/Bemstrom than Laine/Atkinson.

Atkinson’s game has completely fallen and people simply have forgotten how good Nyquist actually can be, however he was an unjustified scapegoat when playing many times also, imo.

Jenner should be put back at center. He’s more than fine as a 2C on all ends of the ice.

Bemstrom didn't score a goal in 19 of the 20 games he played this season and you want him on the top line?

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
Honestly I’m with bus on that one. I know we’re like the only two Bemstrom believers but I still do believe in that kid. Ideally bemmer isn’t on the first line and someone else is, but I think I’d play him over Cam in offensive situations. Cam is basically a glorified third liner right now.

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
Honestly I’m with bus on that one. I know we’re like the only two Bemstrom believers but I still do believe in that kid. Ideally bemmer isn’t on the first line and someone else is, but I think I’d play him over Cam in offensive situations. Cam is basically a glorified third liner right now.

Maybe but Bemstrom is a glorified AHL player.

I mean, I want him to be good, he just doesn’t show anything/enough.

DarkandStormy

Apr 29, 2014
If Bemstrom is on the first line, we're tanking/rebuilding. So if you want to put together a not-all-that-competitive hockey team, sure. Guess it depends on the goal of the '21-'22 season - and I'm not saying a full rebuild would be a bad thing.

Doug19

Oct 14, 2008
Columbus, OH
If cam is on the first line, we're tanking/rebuilding. So if you want to put together a not-all-that-competitive hockey team, sure. Guess it depends on the goal of the '21-'22 season - and I'm not saying a full rebuild would be a bad thing.

Reactions: thebus88

Xoggz22

Mar 4, 2002
Columbus, Ohio
Everything I've seen from Hoffman tells me we could have a diamond in the rough. What better year to have him come over and see how he performs? Our outlook is already bleak - I mean many suggest the team should relocate with Seth's impending departure - and there should be opportunity. Expectations and pressure should be low and he's shown on other stages that he's a gamer... a goal scorer. If nothing else he provides another option on the wing. LW if I recall correctly. I have no idea what this team will ultimately look like but there really are pieces to work with. I mean there is NO WAY that Laine and Domi endure the season they just had (actually, Domi really improved the 2nd half of the season). Roslovic had his chance to shine and, to me, well outperformed based on expectation (30 pt winger they said...). I may be one of the few but I see something in Texier but he has to stay healthy and take a step. I do believe Jarmo is a good judge of talent so to hold onto Tex, Bemm and Foudy tells me they all have something (I'm not insinuating top line something to be clear). Robinson showed much more as he got time (tough to get under Torts) and Bjorkstrand and Boone are known commodities. I left Cam out because I just don't feel it with him right now. It's not just his inconsistency but his explosiveness, puck control - even his shot seems to have lost something.

I think there is talent up front and I do think we return some great assets with Jones. Personally, I truly hope one of the incoming assets (Jones or other) is a potential top pair RHD or LHD that can play on the right. Talent. More talent on the back end is needed. Gavrikov can't possibly play as poorly as he did and I liked what little I saw of Lehtonen (hoping he's re-signed). I also think they bring back MDZ.

So there may not be an elite talent (beyond Laine rediscovering his game) but there are seriously a lot of really good pieces with very few aging to a point we need to dump everyone. Doesn't matter to me who's in net, I think both can support a winner but they'll get another asset from that as well. Korpi and a late 1st for... (that's what I see happening).

Sorry, just writing since I finally have a little time. I'm pissed at the Jones situation but I don't think that's the do all, end all position for Columbus. Especially if Jarmo gets a solid return, as I expect.

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
Cam isn`t TOP 6 winger anymore. But I think he would probably play there because he`s a legend of the team.

So some my minds:

1/. I know you want to take super players but similar politic leads into the hell. Every team must be built step by step. And always start to give a chance youngs. So give them a chance first. Especially if COVID-season was enough specific.
2/. Laine. I understand your discontent with his play, he has really bad season but but let's not forget the factors. I wrote them. Plus he`s only 23 year guy and he`s not only very talanted and showed he can be not only one-timer sniper but he has a big motivation and he wants to stay here.
3/. Centers. We have Roslovic, Domi, Texier, Jenner and Foudy. The whole problem is how they can play there. We must decide give Domi, Texier and Foudy a chance to play there and if yes we must work with them or move some of them to the wing. In this case we need a center. But whom? We must be realists.
4/. Nyquist. Gus is a very good, underrated player. But he has injured and nobody know effects in the future. He is more 30 year player and injury was enough serious. So we must decide what with them. I would like to keep him but I`m not a doctor.
5/. Defense. IMHO it isn`t so bad. Gavrikov-Lehtonen, MDZ-Kukan played very good together. We must find a d-man to Werenski, IMHO ideal would be stay-at-home defensman that`s why Zach loves to attack. To youngs. I very like not only Peeke but Carlsson too. Bayreuther is interesting guy. IMHO Olesiak would be good but the true I`m not sure he`s right or left d-man. Plus he`s UFA and I doubt he would sign us.

And let`s not forget .. the selection isn`t PlayStation.

Everything I've seen from Hoffman tells me we could have a diamond in the rough. What better year to have him come over and see how he performs?
Hofmann is 29 year. I doubt he could be progress. Besides he`s TOP 6 players but if we want to give a chance youngs I don`t see where he could play here. And bottom 6... no. And don`t forget Danforth and Chinakhov.

Last edited:

thebus88

Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
Thankfully Bemstrom and Atkinson aren't the only options for that top line spot

My main point is that I believe Bemstrom is better than Atkinson and I have a problem with the posts slotting Cam in a “top 6” or even top line spot.

I also believe Nyquist has been underrated much of his time on the CBJ, and it would help the team win games with him getting just as many or more minutes than Laine, another guy many have slotted as a top line winger next year.

Reactions: Cowumbus

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
4/. Nyquist. Gus is a very good, underrated player. But he has injured and nobody know effects in the future. He is more 30 year player and injury was enough serious. So we must decide what with them. I would like to keep him but I`m not a doctor.

Since this has come up a lot, I'll remind everyone that Gus's injury was a longstanding thing that he played through for years. It wasn't like we had a good player get a sudden acute injury and now he is coming back. He was playing with an injury that kept from shooting well, and he is now fully healed. This is the shoulder surgery where players often call the repaired shoulder "the stronger one", it has a great success rate. I'd expect his shot to be much improved, while his legs might have taken a bit of a step back given the usual progression of age.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018

I'm a believer in Bemstrom but I think if you hold Cam to the same standards they're probably the same level, and the same type of streaky scorer at this point. You put them on the fourth line and they might not score for a month, you put them with the right playmaker and they might score ten in a month. Or you put them with the right playmaker and they might score two.

Reactions: CBJx614

thebus88

Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
I'm a believer in Bemstrom but I think if you hold Cam to the same standards they're probably the same level, and the same type of streaky scorer at this point. You put them on the fourth line and they might not score for a month, you put them with the right playmaker and they might score ten in a month. Or you put them with the right playmaker and they might score two.

Which guy is the better skater?? Which is the better shooter??

I don’t wanna hear about Atkinson scoring on the PK either. Like your boy Anderson, he cherry picks/looks for offensive opportunities too much and his agility/acceleration advantage is essentially gone at this point.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad