Line Combos: Build a lineup poll #16: 2RD

Who should be the team's 2RD?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
Welcome to the Mike Sillinger memorial edition of the lineup poll.

We've made the switch from forward to defense. This poll includes every blueliner reasonably expected to be available to the team when the season starts.

Vote for your choice for second pair LD, and the winner will be slotted there and removed from subsequent polls.
Sure, there are some nuances such a process doesn't allow for - there will be times when you can't vote for who you'd like at a spot because they've already been slotted somewhere else, or there's a combo you like that gets nixed along the way. You can alter, or not, your subsequent voting accordingly.

Sadly, this projects to have less intrigue even than the forwards.

Forward lines
Alexandre Texier - Pierre-Luc Dubois - Oliver Bjorkstrand
Nick Foligno - Max Domi - Cam Atkinson
Boone Jenner - Mikko Koivu - Emil Bemstrom
Liam Foudy - Riley Nash - Mikhail Grigorenko

"leftover" forwards
Nathan Gerbe
Stefan Matteau
Ryan MacInnis
Eric Robinson
Kevin Stenlund

D pairs
Zach Werenski - Seth Jones
Vladislav Gavrikov - RD

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
I voted Peeke here. I don't expect intrigue to follow, although I do appreciate CBJWennberg's efforts.

But seriously, despite Peeke's inexperience, I'd like to at least try him with Gav, who I consider a dependable and still improving player. I also think Savard could make Kukan a better player as a third pair.

Might be a thing where the pairs need switched for special teams and late in games when protecting a lead.

Last edited:
Reactions: CBJWennberg10

MoeBartoli

Checkers-to-Jackets
Jan 12, 2011
I’ve gone chalk all the way so far, and am expecting Peeke-Kukan third pair...unless of course it ends of Kukan-Peeke.

Mikos87

Mar 19, 2002
Visit site
I would change things up a bit to get Foudy with some speed guys to create more space. Eventually I would want to move Foudy to the middle. Athletically, he's the closest thing to McDavid in terms of speed, no skill, but pure speed. Bemstrom can score. He might fit better with a guy like Domi. A fast speedy playmaker. Add in Foudy, and you are going to get Bemstrom open looks. The question is, can Torts turn him into a Brenden Gallagher type?

Your top line is a similar set up the Bread days, but you are asking three guys to lift more together. You get a really good veteran checking unit, and you can change things up based on how guys are going. What I would do is make sure that the veterans get rested. That fifth line should be able to step in for games at a time.

With the defense, I would split up Zach and Seth and let those two carry other guys. That allows Columbus to have a 50-60 point defenseman that can step in and attack across most of the game. To me that helps solve a lot of the offensive woes. You know the team can defend, so I think it allows the two top guys to not have to conserve themselves as much.

You've got a really good mix of depth and lefty-righty options. If you add one more scorer, or if you get something out of Grigorenko - Stenlund or something else that surprises, I think that CLB has a shot at taking a step forward offensively.

Forward lines
Oliver Bjorkstrand - Pierre-Luc Dubois - Cam Atkinson
Liam Foudy - Max Domi - Emil Bemstrom
Alexandre Texier - Mikhail Grigorenko - Nick Foligno
Boone Jenner - Mikko Koivu - Riley Nash
Robinson-MacInnis-Stenlund

"leftover" forwards
Nathan Gerbe
Stefan Matteau
Ryan MacInnis
Eric Robinson
Kevin Stenlund

D pairs
Gavrikov/Carlsson/Harrington/Kukan - Seth Jones
Zach Werenski - Peeke/Savard/Kukan/Harrington
LD-RD

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
I voted Peeke here. I don't expect intrigue to follow, although I do appreciate CBJWennberg's efforts.

But seriously, despite Peeke's inexperience, I'd like to at least try him with Gav, who I consider a dependable and still improving player. I also think Savard could make Kukan a better player as a third pair.

Might be a thing where the pairs need switched for special teams and late in games when protecting a lead.

I am 100% down with trying Peeke with Gavrikov. If we’re being honest, this is likely it for savard here this year. Next year he won’t be here. It’s best to get Gavrikov acclimated with someone else. It doesn’t have to be that way the whole year but moving around the pairs for future implications is good with me.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Forward lines
Oliver Bjorkstrand - Pierre-Luc Dubois - Cam Atkinson
Liam Foudy - Max Domi - Emil Bemstrom
Alexandre Texier - Mikhail Grigorenko - Nick Foligno
Boone Jenner - Mikko Koivu - Riley Nash
Robinson-MacInnis-Stenlund

"leftover" forwards
Nathan Gerbe
Stefan Matteau
Ryan MacInnis
Eric Robinson
Kevin Stenlund

D pairs
Gavrikov/Carlsson/Harrington/Kukan - Seth Jones
Zach Werenski - Peeke/Savard/Kukan/Harrington
LD-RD

I like the plan for the defense, but I've got some nitpicks here.

- Jenner-Koivu-Nash is too slow to play in today's NHL. They need a Robinson, MacInnis, or Foudy to help them out.
- Foudy-Domi-Bemstrom is going to get pushed around. I think folks are getting ahead of themselves if they think Foudy can provide more offense this year than Foligno, and Foudy is too weak to help Domi out physically. Domi is combative but not strong.
- Atkinson had zero goals next to Dubois last year. I don't see the point of putting Atkinson there. Domi is a strong playmaker and Atkinson might connect with him. Bemstrom does provide a similar style to Atkinson, I just wouldn't bet on him having the scoring ability of Atkinson, not anytime soon.
-

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad