Rosén
Krebs
Jokiharju

Beats
1st round pick
Tuch
Krebs
2nd round pick minus 3rd round pick

Now the value of the second package improved with Vegas bad season but the original deal wasn't better.

I'd also argue that the cap dump Jeannot and Cirellis lack of production compensates for not adding more to the deal even though Cernak is included.

Edit: I also think you overvalue Tuch based on his production for the Sabres. He was a 0.5 ppg middle six forward.
Really a 1st line power forward who's game would be extremely valuable in the playoffs on a cheap deal isn't worth 11th overall? Its not even that strong of a draft. I would trade the 11th for another Tuch in an instant.

Crunchrulz

Apr 30, 2010
USA
Very interesting and well thought out comments from most of those posting replies. It appears this could be a deal done with both organizations benefiting from players getting new looks.
Thank you.

HaNotsri

Regstred User
Dec 29, 2013
Really a 1st line power forward who's game would be extremely valuable in the playoffs on a cheap deal isn't worth 11th overall? Its not even that strong of a draft. I would trade the 11th for another Tuch in an instant.
Tuch wasn't a 1st line power forward back then. It would be like arguing that the ROR trade was good value based on how Thompson turned out.
11th overall has higher value than a middle six player in my book.

Gabrielor

"Win with us or watch us win." - Rasmus Dahlin
Jun 28, 2011
Buffalo, NY
I rather remove the cernak part

And Jeannot is not worth greenway and a 2nd but if JBB pulls that I have faith in him again
Removing Cernak would likely remove Byram, or at least put us in a spot you referenced you'd be in (us figuring out using the 11th pick+ to replace Byram), which then probably collapses the whole deal.

Jeannot overpay is to add incentive to the overall deal, as referenced, so it wouldn't be that in isolation.

The Sabres should definitely remain interested in Cirelli as a high priority idea, so if he's possible without a crazy price tag, there's something there.

LTIR Trickery

Plz stop pucks
Jun 27, 2007
Scrip Club
I don't disagree that someone like Jeannot is needed, I strongly disagree that he would return Greenway and a 2nd. I would be hard pressed moving more than a 4th for him as Tampa wants to clear salary and he's not worth his contract
No, he has one more year, no need to do any of that.

Rowley Birkin

Oct 31, 2004
Why the hell is Byram being included in trade proposals? By Sabres fans no less? We've only just traded for him & he already looks like he belongs as a core piece....

Our biggest value trade pieces are the glut of young, offensively minded forward prospects that can't all possibly make the roster. Savoie, Kulich, Ostlund, Rosen, etc. We can't keep them all.

If Tampa is interested in acquiring one of those guys as a centrepiece in a deal for Cirelli - then a trade between the teams might make a lot of sense.

Obviously fringe roster players such as Krebs & Jokiharju would also be available. Byram certainly doesn't fall into this category though.

Reactions: drew5580

JTBF81

Dec 6, 2018
Tampa, FL.
Why the hell is Byram being included in trade proposals? By Sabres fans no less? We've only just traded for him & he already looks like he belongs as a core piece....

Our biggest value trade pieces are the glut of young, offensively minded forward prospects that can't all possibly make the roster. Savoie, Kulich, Ostlund, Rosen, etc. We can't keep them all.

If Tampa is interested in acquiring one of those guys as a centrepiece in a deal for Cirelli - then a trade between the teams might make a lot of sense.

Obviously fringe roster players such as Krebs & Jokiharju would also be available. Byram certainly doesn't fall into this category though.
Then the trade talks pretty much end, or should, from Tampa's end. They aren't moving Cirelli without getting a piece they need in return, which would be a top 4 dman such as Byram. I doubt Cirelli is available anyway, but that's what it should take to get Tampa listening on any offer.

Panthaz89

Buffalo Sabres, Carolina Panthers fan
Dec 24, 2016
Buffalo,NY
Then the trade talks pretty much end, or should, from Tampa's end. They aren't moving Cirelli without getting a piece they need in return, which would be a top 4 dman such as Byram. I doubt Cirelli is available anyway, but that's what it should take to get Tampa listening on any offer.
All the sane Sabres fans will stick with Byram.....

Irie

Nov 14, 2010
Pacific Northwest
I have to think that most GMs(not named Kevyn Adams), if they were to step into the Sabres job today, would look at the roster makeup, see that the team has almost 35M committed to their blueline, and view Dahlin, Power, and Byram as a logjam area that may need addressing.

Value aside and strictly from a roster balancing point of view, Cirelli for Byram does makes some sense, and it is definitely an interesting topic to debate. These boards see many worse proposals daily, so it definitely isn't the worst idea here :laugh:

Rschmitz

Finding new ways to cheat
Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay
If Byram was a righty or could play RD without a hitch there could be a basis for a deal, but that's not the case. The Lightning already have Sergachev and Hedman at LD, neither play RD as effectively, and I think that ends the discussion around him.

Draft picks would be fine though

Aoko

Order has now fallen.
Dec 14, 2017
Power
Savoie

For

Cirelli
Cernak
Best, easiest trade of all time for one team.

Gotta hope and pray the other GM is still drunk and seeing purple elephants so that he'll verbally consent to it.

At least offer Sergachev to make it mildly interesting.

MOGlLNY

Jan 5, 2008
Best, easiest trade of all time for one team.

Gotta hope and pray the other GM is still drunk and seeing purple elephants so that he'll verbally consent to it.

At least offer Sergachev to make it mildly interesting.
Yeah I think most Sabres fans are a hard no on this I’m not sure why he was hitting the bottle so early.

we have a sub section of fans who want Power out badly even though he’s 21. They’re shocked he’s not fully developed as a player and also not Chris Pronger.

Last edited:

Rowley Birkin

Oct 31, 2004
Fine.

Cirelli is a player the Sabres could certainly use - but he's essentially a third line C making 6.25m.

Byram is a top pair D who has already showed chemistry with Dahlin. He's clearly someone Adams had specifically targeted. It makes no sense that we'd trade him so soon after acquiring him. Even if he was available - he'd have greater trade value than Cirelli.

I have to think that most GMs(not named Kevyn Adams), if they were to step into the Sabres job today, would look at the roster makeup, see that the team has almost 35M committed to their blueline, and view Dahlin, Power, and Byram as a logjam area that may need addressing.

Value aside and strictly from a roster balancing point of view, Cirelli for Byram does makes some sense, and it is definitely an interesting topic to debate. These boards see many worse proposals daily, so it definitely isn't the worst idea here :laugh:
You guys make me laugh. For the first time in circa 15 years we have a legitimate top 4 with realistic potential to be elite, but you want to call that a log jam? :laugh:

The real log jam is the group of young, offensively minded prospects that simply won't all be able make this team. THESE are the assets which should be used to make us better.

We'd needed to make a big F for D 'hockey trade' for a while. Byram/Mitts was that trade. Now we must use some of those futures to fill out other areas of need.

I'm not worried about the salary cap either. We're overpaying Dahlin/Power to a similar degree that we're underpaying Thompson/Cozens. You can't look at a roster with a view of only paying X million at forward, Y million at defence, Z million at goalie... You look at the big picture.

Irie

Nov 14, 2010
Pacific Northwest
Fine.

Cirelli is a player the Sabres could certainly use - but he's essentially a third line C making 6.25m.

Byram is a top pair D who has already showed chemistry with Dahlin. He's clearly someone Adams had specifically targeted. It makes no sense that we'd trade him so soon after acquiring him. Even if he was available - he'd have greater trade value than Cirelli.

You guys make me laugh. For the first time in circa 15 years we have a legitimate top 4 with realistic potential to be elite, but you want to call that a log jam? :laugh:

The real log jam is the group of young, offensively minded prospects that simply won't all be able make this team. THESE are the assets which should be used to make us better.

We'd needed to make a big F for D 'hockey trade' for a while. Byram/Mitts was that trade. Now we must use some of those futures to fill out other areas of need.

I'm not worried about the salary cap either. We're overpaying Dahlin/Power to a similar degree that we're underpaying Thompson/Cozens. You can't look at a roster with a view of only paying X million at forward, Y million at defence, Z million at goalie... You look at the big picture.
You have three D that really need top line pp time. I don't think power, Dahlin, and Byram make a very good balanced top 4.

As for the trade, it wasn't my proposal and it isn't my first choice for moves, but I still stand by the notion that it isn't a terrible idea and is probably worth debating, even if I personally wouldn't make the deal.

Rowley Birkin

Oct 31, 2004
You have three D that really need top line pp time. I don't think power, Dahlin, and Byram make a very good balanced top 4.

As for the trade, it wasn't my proposal and it isn't my first choice for moves, but I still stand by the notion that it isn't a terrible idea and is probably worth debating, even if I personally wouldn't make the deal.
I don't agree that any of them NEED PP1 time. If it's even a problem it's a pretty good problem to have.

I think the three make a perfect 'top half' of your D corps, with the three other guys being defence-first, stay at home types. To that point, i think this is the offseason we need to see Adams move on from Jokiharju.

We're not trading Dahlin.
We're not trading Byram so soon after acquiring him. I hope their plan is to extend him ASAP.
We're not trading Power so soon after extending him, while his trade value is at an all time low.

Vasilevskiy

The cat will be back
Dec 30, 2008
Barcelona
Yeah I think most Sabres fans are a hard no on this I’m not sure why he was hitting the bottle so early.

we have a sub section of fans who want Power out badly because even though he’s 21. They’re shocked he’s not fully developed as a player and also not Chris Pronger.
Hedman was just like Power now. Foolish to trade him but hey I easily take him if buffalo offered that (I know it will not happen)

Rowley Birkin

Oct 31, 2004
Hedman was just like Power now. Foolish to trade him but hey I easily take him if buffalo offered that (I know it will not happen)
We had our share of idiots calling for Dahlin to be traded after he had that down year under Ralph Krueger, as well.

Trading Dahlin for pennies on the dollar would look like a really smart move now that he's broken out into the player he is today. Same applies to Power.

JTBF81

Dec 6, 2018
Tampa, FL.
Fine.

Cirelli is a 2C, but okay. There's alot more to his game than just points. Byram is a 2nd pairing dman with upside. In any case, if Tampa isn't getting something of actual value and need, primary a top 4 dman or assets that they can quickly flip to acquire one, Brisebois shouldn't be interested. Tampa has no need to move Cirelli, so they won't be doing so for lesser pieces.

Rowley Birkin

Oct 31, 2004
Cirelli is a 2C, but okay. There's alot more to his game than just points. Byram is a 2nd pairing dman with upside. In any case, if Tampa isn't getting something of actual value and need, primary a top 4 dman or assets that they can quickly flip to acquire one, Brisebois shouldn't be interested. Tampa has no need to move Cirelli, so they won't be doing so for lesser pieces.
On the Sabres Byram is a first pair D while Cirelli would be 3C behind Thompson & Cozens.

I've already said above that valuable assets should be in play. Such as our glut of offensively focused forward prospects who can't all possibly make the roster, or this year's R1 pick. But we shouldn't be trading core pieces like Byram or Power.

Gabrielor

"Win with us or watch us win." - Rasmus Dahlin
Jun 28, 2011
Buffalo, NY
On the Sabres Byram is a first pair D while Cirelli would be 3C behind Thompson & Cozens.

I've already said above that valuable assets should be in play. Such as our glut of offensively focused forward prospects who can't all possibly make the roster, or this year's R1 pick. But we shouldn't be trading core pieces like Byram or Power.
Don't get caught up with labels.

Cirelli would be our defensive matchup center, which would be HUGE. He's a champion, and played a huge role in Tampa winning two of them and going to a 3rd.

Byram, let's say, is a top 4 D in a 2 man rotation for the first pair with Power, alongside Dahlin.

Power's a non-starter, but Byram for Cirelli *could* be something if it includes futures for Cernak.

Rowley Birkin

Oct 31, 2004
Don't get caught up with labels.

Cirelli would be our defensive matchup center, which would be HUGE. He's a champion, and played a huge role in Tampa winning two of them and going to a 3rd.

Byram, let's say, is a top 4 D in a 2 man rotation for the first pair with Power, alongside Dahlin.

Power's a non-starter, but Byram for Cirelli *could* be something if it includes futures for Cernak.
Bolded - I disagree. There's a huge difference between Byram & Cernak. We've only just traded for Byram and that trade took a lifetime in coming. Adams isn't trading him so soon after acquiring him. He should be working on extending him.

Again - I'm not saying I wouldn't want Cirelli or that he wouldn't be valuable to this team. And it doesn't matter if i call him a 'third line' C or you call him a 'defensive matchup' C - we both know what type of player he is & those players do not have the value of top pairing defenseman - which Byram certainly is. Byram is also four years younger than Cirelli. Their trade value is not even close.

Our team has holes to fill - but it's really only the 'bottom third' of the roster that needs overhauling. And we have an over abundance of futures to make that happen without needing to trade away core pieces.

If TB decided to 're-tool' this offseason & Cirelli was available - I'd offer one of our forward prospects not currently in the NHL. I'm pretty sure they wouldn't get a better offer than that from any other team & if they were hell bent on getting a defenseman, they would need to make a follow up trade.

Adding Cernak doesn't do a huge amount for me. Maybe I'd add a Cernak/Samuelsson swap into the deal - but that is only because of Samuelsson's complete inability to stay healthy.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad