Confirmed with Link: Buffalo Sabres Buy Out Christian Ehrhoff (Signs with PIT 1 yr $4 million)

Status
Not open for further replies.

SoupNazi

Serenity now. Insanity later.
Feb 6, 2010
I am really hoping to see Ehrhoff in a Wings sweater come training camp.

Make it happen Holland!

detredWINgs

Jan 1, 2004
Michigan
Visit site
Being in the East might be big, if I remember a part of the Buffalo signing was he didn't like all the travel out west.

That would be glorious.

The other thing is even if Detroit isn't a legit contender now, they always go all in for the playoffs. Detroit is essentially the only team who hasn't gone full rebuild in how long? From what Murray said, Ehrhoff wasn't too happy about signing a big deal and then getting stuck in a rebuild. That's not going to happen in Detroit any time soon.

silkyjohnson50

Jan 10, 2007
- Sign Ehrhoff or Stralman
- Quincey walks, Kindl traded, XO/Marchenko/Backman battle it out for #6 spot
- Babcock needs to utilize Smith and have Ericsson or Dekeyser anchor the 3rd pairing

Kronwall-Smith
Dekeyser/Ericsson-Ehrhoff
Ericsson/Dekeyser-Rookie

or

Kronwall-Ehrhoff
65/52-Smith
65/52-Rookie

Give me this and a healthy forward lineup and I'm ready :yo:

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
The only thing that has me second guessing his chances of landing in Detroit is Helene St James' post that Detroit doesn't need him. If she isn't just Ken Holland in drag, she is his mouth piece in the media.

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage
But anyway, I've changed my mind on this one. Ehrhoff would be a pretty awesome upgrade, handedness be damned. He's more willing than Kronwall to join the play, and he's a better shooter across the board. I think he'd look excellent on the right side on the power play as a trigger man. He's got a particularly wicked wrister for a defenseman.

Scouts honor, I would totally stop talking **** about Ken Holland if he signed Ehrhoff and traded/waived Kindl and encouraged Daniel Alfredsson to retire. Git 'er dun Kenny!

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Kronwall-Ehrhoff
65/52-Smith
65/52-Rookie
:

This would be money IMO.

Would prefer

Kronwall-Ehrhoff
Dekeyser-Smith
Ericsson-Marchenko

PP
Kronwall-Ehrhoff
Smith-Alfredsson/Marchenko

Or if no righties...

Kronwall-Ehrhoff
Dekeyser-Smith
Ouellet-Ericsson

You could roll those 3 pairs evenly^^^

gretskidoo

Nov 26, 2011
Not so sure. They have 7 defenseman locked up, 5 of which make more than $3.6M. They picked the wrong time to trade for the $4.6M Garrison.

I totally forgot about the Garrison trade.

Good thing that happened, makes it far less plausible.

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
The mutual interest rumor...

Adrian DaterVerified account ‏@adater
I'm hearing the Wings-Ehrhoff have mutual interest

Dater is a beat writer for the Colorado Avalanche.

as i sad on the plan/trade thread, never trust a thing this guy says.

Not so sure. They have 7 defenseman locked up, 5 of which make more than $3.6M. They picked the wrong time to trade for the $4.6M Garrison.

ohlund will be on LTIR. he's retired practically, knees are done.

Flowah

Nov 30, 2009
About 9 to 10 mln under and that's without signing their rfas.

I gave 7M to the 3 RFAs and then 6M to Erhoff. Left me with 1.7M. But if you waived/traded Lashoff, Kindl, Andersson, Glendening you could end up with anywhere from 3M to 4M. And again, that's with what I consider conservative numbers. Judging from Nyquist's contract last year, I don't think our RFAs get over 6.5M and probably end up more like 6M.

Basically, if you cut the fat on a couple of players, we could have plenty of money for RFAs, Erhoff, and a forward either Iginla or Alfie. I'm way too excited about this. I hope Kenny gives us something to celebrate.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
Basically, if you cut the fat on a couple of players, we could have plenty of money for RFAs, Erhoff, and a forward either Iginla or Alfie.

I came to the same conclusion.

Except I don't think there's a snowball's chance in hell Iginla comes here, so I'm more banking on Hemsky/Alfredsson.

detredWINgs

Jan 1, 2004
Michigan
Visit site
as i sad on the plan/trade thread, never trust a thing this guy says.

ohlund will be on LTIR. he's retired practically, knees are done.

Ahh, forgot about this. Well it still seems rather unlikely that Tampa would still find it prudent to outbid anyone for Ehrhoff but you never know. Yzerman did just give Purcell away for free...

Claypool

Jan 12, 2009
After looking through Capgeek, the only contending teams that could afford to sign Ehroff (without making a trade to free up room) are Anaheim, Colorado, Columbus, Dallas, Detroit, Minnesota, Montreal, New York Rangers, San Jose, and St. Louis.

Kronwalled55

Detroit vs. Everybody
Jan 7, 2011
Atlanta, GA
I still wouldn't care for our defense with Ehrhoff on the roster, but it's a huge first step.

Kronwall - Ehrhoff
DeKeyser - Ericsson
Smith - Kindl

Ehrhoff is quite an improvement over Quincey, but that 3rd pairing is still putrid.

Chex LeMeneux

May 4, 2014
Metro Detroit
After looking through Capgeek, the only contending teams that could afford to sign Ehroff (without making a trade to free up room) are Anaheim, Colorado, Columbus, Dallas, Detroit, Minnesota, Montreal, New York Rangers, San Jose, and St. Louis.

Out of that group I only see us, Colorado, Columbus and Dallas making serious pitches. Maybe Minny and the Habs as well. It doesn't look like Anaheim, SJ, the Blues or the Rags really need him. Someone correct me if I'm wrong there.

Kronwalled55

Detroit vs. Everybody
Jan 7, 2011
Atlanta, GA
Out of that group I only see us, Colorado, Columbus and Dallas making serious pitches. Maybe Minny and the Habs as well. It doesn't look like Anaheim, SJ, the Blues or the Rags really need him. Someone correct me if I'm wrong there.

I think Anaheim and Dallas will be the biggest threats to us in terms of signing him.

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course

SJ would need him, a lot but with their GM talking about rebuild and couple of other reasons, i don't think they go after him.

anaheim should be interested too. as much as us imo.

silkyjohnson50

Jan 10, 2007
I still wouldn't care for our defense with Ehrhoff on the roster, but it's a huge first step.

Kronwall - Ehrhoff
DeKeyser - Ericsson
Smith - Kindl

Ehrhoff is quite an improvement over Quincey, but that 3rd pairing is still putrid.

That's where Babcock and Holland both need to make the right decisions:

Babs should split up Kronwall, Dekeyser, and Ericsson on 3 pairings to start the season and Kenny should get what he can for Kindl and let one of the rookies win the #6 spot during training camp/preseason.

Our defense should be improved regardless. But unless those other moves are made, they won't be improved in the best way possible.

I really liked Kindl after the shortened season. It looked like he turned a corner and he was great on the offensive side of center ice. He was probably our best blueliner at walking the offensive blueline during that shortened season. He was, however, a different player on his own side of center where he was visibly panicked whenever he had the puck. Last year his offensive game completely disappears and the panic in his own zone remained. That's the recipe for a disaster. I wish him well, but with what we already have and what's in the pipeline, get rid of his cap hit and take your chance on one of the kids.

KJoe88

Forever Lost.
May 18, 2012
Trenton, MI
Oh pretty please, Kenny, sign Ehrhoff!

I'll even buy a jersey...

Kronwall - Smithy
DeKeyser - Ehrhoff
Ericsson - Marchenko/XO

Oh man, oh man - we'd actually have a good defensive end again. Actually, that group could be hella competitive.

Chex LeMeneux

May 4, 2014
Metro Detroit
I think Anaheim and Dallas will be the biggest threats to us in terms of signing him.

SJ would need him, a lot but with their GM talking about rebuild and couple of other reasons, i don't think they go after him.

anaheim should be interested too. as much as us imo.

Good call, Anaheim is a concern. As for Dallas, well I sincerely hope Kenny can make a better pitch than his protege.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad