Proposal: Buffalo offseason retool

Kuznetsnow

Nov 26, 2019
I feel like Buffalo could take a massive step forward this offseason by plugging their holes with established two way vets. Similar to what the Capitals did with Orpik/Niskanen (and then Oshie, Williams and Eller). Bonus if vets have synergy from prior teams

Deadline trade - Staal for ~2nd, Hall retained for 1st +, Miller/Montour for whatever, any UFAs for whatever (except try to resign Jake McCabe).

Coaching hire - Boudreau as HC, Kirk Muller/Ryan Callahan as assistants (similar to Capitals getting Trotz in 2014 after enduring their Ralph Krueger meme coach in Adam Oates). Callahan is a Buffalo local already coaching at a prep school in Rochester and seems like the perfect guy to bring along with how revered he is among active players

Expansion trade/draft
To Seattle - Okposo, Mittelstadt, Thompson, late 1st from Hall trade
To Buffalo - Korpi/Merzlinkis (assume they take one of these from Columbus, Seattle will have multiple good goalies available so this would be a way for them to get a lot in assets while still getting their goalies)

UFAs signings -

From Columbus > Foligno, Nash, Savard
Foligno becomes the vet leader upfront, channeling his dad. Savard gets stapled to Dahlin to provide stability and mentor him. Nash takes on PK/shutdown role and can fill in as 3C or even 2C. These guys all probably get traded to different contenders at the deadline but all get brought back together in the offseason

From Tampa > Coleman, Goodrow
Coleman provides fast top 6 goal scoring ability and versatility. Goodrow is an excellent 3/4 RW, both have cup winning pedigree

From Montreal > Chiarot, rights to Armia
To Montreal > 2nd, Pilut
Armia as versatile puck possession 2-3 RW, Chiarot as 2nd/3rd pairing tough stay at home LD. Montreal would already have Edmundson/Romanov in their top 4 and looking for faster D to compliment Edmundson/Weber

Then one of Bozak/Lowry/Laughton/Bonino as 3C (assume Laughton for example since he's young and can play C or W), someone who can fill in as 2C.

Skinner Eichel Foligno
Olofsson Cozens Reinhart
Coleman Laughton Armia (either Laughton or Coleman can play C or W)
Girgesons Nash Goodrow

Dahlin Savard
McCabe Ristolainen
Chiarot Jokiharju

Merzlikins
Ullmark

Bringing players already familiar with each other should be good for quickly getting on the same page chemistry wise, plus may entice them to sign with one team over somewhere where they'd be brand new. Would have a balanced Islanders-like lineup capable of pushing the play for the full 60 minutes one way or another.

I'd also move Olofsson out and bring in a veteran playmaking RW who is still productive from a cap strapped team (such as Radulov or Voracek) to feed the multitude of shoot first players on the roster

Last edited:
Reactions: Team Cozens

Kuznetsnow

Nov 26, 2019
I’m on board with getting Coleman, Goodrow and Savard. And then pairing Savard with Dahlin, allowing him to venture past the upper end of the faceoff circle!

Matt f***ing Irwin is allowed to venture further into the offensive zone than Dahlin is. Yes, you read that name right.

I think either Savard or Hjarmalsson would be the perfect partner/mentor for Dahlin, possibly Adam Larsson as well given that he turned it around somewhat this year.

And given what Boudreau did with Mike Green Dahlin would have all the freedom he needs and then some

Kaibur

Jan 23, 2009
Phoenix, AZ
Doesn't a lot of Buffalo's offseason plans revolve around Sam Reinhart? If he demands a 1-year or takes it to arbitration so he can get to UFA in 2022, that changes the direction of the off-season, right?

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
I feel like Buffalo could take a massive step forward this offseason by plugging their holes with established two way vets. Similar to what the Capitals did with Orpik/Niskanen (and then Oshie, Williams and Eller). Bonus if vets have synergy from prior teams

Deadline trade - Staal for ~2nd, Hall retained for 1st +, Miller/Montour for whatever, any UFAs for whatever (except try to resign Jake McCabe).

Coaching hire - Boudreau as HC, Kirk Muller/Ryan Callahan as assistants (similar to Capitals getting Trotz in 2014 after enduring their Ralph Krueger meme coach in Adam Oates). Callahan is a Buffalo local already coaching at a prep school in Rochester and seems like the perfect guy to bring along with how revered he is among active players

Expansion trade/draft
To Buffalo - Korpi/Merzlinkis (assume they take one of these from Columbus, Seattle will have multiple good goalies available so this would be a way for them to get a lot in assets while still getting their goalies)

UFAs signings -

Foligno becomes the vet leader upfront, channeling his dad. Savard gets stapled to Dahlin to provide stability and mentor him. Nash takes on PK/shutdown role and can fill in as 3C or even 2C. These guys all probably get traded to different contenders at the deadline but all get brought back together in the offseason

Coleman provides fast top 6 goal scoring ability and versatility. Goodrow is an excellent 3/4 RW, both have cup winning pedigree

To Montreal > 2nd, Pilut
Armia as versatile puck possession 2-3 RW, Chiarot as 2nd/3rd pairing tough stay at home LD. Montreal would already have Edmundson/Romanov in their top 4 and looking for faster D to compliment Edmundson/Weber

Then one of Bozak/Lowry/Laughton/Bonino as 3C (assume Bozak for example), someone who can fill in as 2C.

Skinner Eichel Coleman
Foligno Cozens Reinhart
Olofsson Bozak Armia
Girgesons Nash Goodrow

Dahlin Savard
McCabe Ristolainen
Chiarot Jokiharju

Merzlikins
Ullmark

Bringing players already familiar with each other should be good for quickly getting on the same page chemistry wise, plus may entice them to sign with one team over somewhere where they'd be brand new. Would have a balanced Islanders-like lineup capable of pushing the play for the full 60 minutes one way or another

north49er

Dec 20, 2017
The Sabres have been re-tooling, re-building. re-organizing, re-grouping, re-arranging, re-jigging and re-shuffling for 10 years now. Can someone or something please put them out of their misery and do something right for a change?

Last edited:

Moose and Squirrel

Jan 15, 2021
The Sabres have been re-tooling, re-building. re-organizing, re-grouping, re-arranging, re-jigging and re-shuffling for 10 years now. Can someone or something please put them out of their misery and do something right for a change?

a good head coach that would install a good system would go a long ways for them

Reactions: itwasaforwardpass

explore

I was wrong about Don Granato and TNT
Jun 28, 2011

Expansion trade/draft

UFAs signings -

To Montreal > 2nd, Pilut

Then one of Bozak/Lowry/Laughton/Bonino as 3C (assume Bozak for example), someone who can fill in as 2C.

Skinner Eichel Coleman
Foligno Cozens Reinhart
Olofsson Bozak Armia
Girgesons Nash Goodrow

Dahlin Savard
McCabe Ristolainen
Chiarot Jokiharju

Merzlikins
Ullmark

Bringing players already familiar with each other should be good for quickly getting on the same page chemistry wise, plus may entice them to sign with one team over somewhere where they'd be brand new. Would have a balanced Islanders-like lineup capable of pushing the play for the full 60 minutes one way or another

This is actually a thoughtful plan, resolves major holes on defense and goaltending, and offsets Okposo's cap--though I'm not a fan of trading away Mittelstadt because he's been impressive this year and I think he's getting close to becoming a surefire top-six NHLer. McCabe is also a big question mark because of the seriousness of his knee injury (ACL/MCL/meniscus tear)

Big fan of the Boudreau suggestion, and experienced assistants, though I think Boudreau would probably want to choose his own assistants

Overall, really solid plan. Wish the Pegulas would do this as opposed to whatever loony ideas they have

Reactions: Team Cozens

Unbiased Fan

May 24, 2019

Expansion trade/draft

UFAs signings -

To Montreal > 2nd, Pilut

Skinner Eichel Coleman
Foligno Cozens Reinhart
Olofsson Bozak Armia
Girgesons Nash Goodrow

Dahlin Savard
McCabe Ristolainen
Chiarot Jokiharju

Merzlikins
Ullmark

Olfsson on the 3rd line is such a waste he is a 1st line player if I were him I’d demand a trade in that case. He’s the Sabres best winger.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
I don't see Buffalo being able to attract quality UFA's like Savard and Foligno,I'm also not sure it's the best idea to make Cozens the #2 center

Kuznetsnow

Nov 26, 2019
I don't see Buffalo being able to attract quality UFA's like Savard and Foligno,I'm also not sure it's the best idea to make Cozens the #2 center

In this case Reinhart acts as his co center to take off the load on faceoffs/defense, also not many contenders have room for Foligno. If he's sold on Buffalo turning the corner and his dad being a marquee player for them he could get a large retirement contract while being a big part of the team. IMO they need someone like him to glue the lineup together at forward and the effect up and down the lineup is worth the overpay. Just looking at how much someone like Oshie or Dustin Brown brings.

Mersss

Jul 12, 2014

Expansion trade/draft

UFAs signings -

To Montreal > 2nd, Pilut

Skinner Eichel Coleman
Foligno Cozens Reinhart
Olofsson Bozak Armia
Girgesons Nash Goodrow

Dahlin Savard
McCabe Ristolainen
Chiarot Jokiharju

Merzlikins
Ullmark

Zero chances Habs do that trade. Pilut isn't worth anything, and Chiarot, as a UFA next year, may bery well net us a 2nd + on his own. No need to add Armia to him.

Habs will protect

Drouin
Kk
Armia
Anderson
Toffoli
Gallagher
Evans

Weber
Petry
Edmundson

Allen

Danault and Tatar come back post ED with a handshake deal to open 2 protection spots. Price accepts to waive knowing SEA won't claim him and, in if they do, moves to where his wife is from and where he spends his summers.

So yah, unless the package for Armia and Chiarot is a LOT better than that, they won't go to BUF

Kuznetsnow

Nov 26, 2019
Also last but not least I would bring back these bad boys, the current buffalo jerseys look like something you'd see on the wall of a new age restaurant larping as a saloon

gettyimages-71023576-594x594.jpg

Kuznetsnow

Nov 26, 2019
Zero chances Habs do that trade. Pilut isn't worth anything, and Chiarot, as a UFA next year, may bery well net us a 2nd + on his own. No need to add Armia to him.

Habs will protect

Drouin
Kk
Armia
Anderson
Toffoli
Gallagher
Evans

Weber
Petry
Edmundson

Allen

Danault and Tatar come back post ED with a handshake deal to open 2 protection spots. Price accepts to waive knowing SEA won't claim him and, in if they do, moves to where his wife is from and where he spends his summers.

So yah, unless the package for Armia and Chiarot is a LOT better than that, they won't go to BUF

Armia is a UFA, I assumed habs would want to move on from Chiarot. If they don't Buffalo could get Jordie Benn or one of other solid half dozen physical #5LD that should hit the market

Mersss

Jul 12, 2014
Armia is a UFA, I assumed habs would want to move on from Chiarot. If they don't Buffalo could get Jordie Benn or one of other solid half dozen physical #5LD that should hit the market

We'll expose Chiarot or Byron to SEA, they'll likely pick Chiarot, unless they take Byron for a 2nd rd pick.

Nonetheless, Armia is worth at least a 2nd + prospect at the TDL, same for Chiarot. Why trade botj of them for a 2nd and a guy who's 25 ans has no future at the NHL level?

Kuznetsnow

Nov 26, 2019
We'll expose Chiarot or Byron to SEA, they'll likely pick Chiarot, unless they take Byron for a 2nd rd pick.

Nonetheless, Armia is worth at least a 2nd + prospect at the TDL, same for Chiarot. Why trade botj of them for a 2nd and a guy who's 25 ans has no future at the NHL level?

I guess buffalo would be talking to Seattle about Chiarot then in this case. Is Montreal really going to trade Armia heading into the playoffs?

Kuznetsnow

Nov 26, 2019
This is actually a thoughtful plan, resolves major holes on defense and goaltending, and offsets Okposo's cap--though I'm not a fan of trading away Mittelstadt because he's been impressive this year and I think he's getting close to becoming a surefire top-six NHLer. McCabe is also a big question mark because of the seriousness of his knee injury (ACL/MCL/meniscus tear)

Big fan of the Boudreau suggestion, and experienced assistants, though I think Boudreau would probably want to choose his own assistants

Overall, really solid plan. Wish the Pegulas would do this as opposed to whatever loony ideas they have

Thanks I'm irrationally invested in Buffalo fixing their lineup and coaching because it just hurts to watch that level of franchise ineptitude from the side

Any time you bring in new players there's a risk of adjustment so I feel like keeping McCabe is preferable since him and Ristolainen finally look good together. Give him a short deal then have Owen Power get eased into the lineup to replace him

Kaibur

Jan 23, 2009
Phoenix, AZ
If Ristolainen refuses to sign an extension this summer, will Buffalo trade him or protect him in expansion and go into the season with him as a pending UFA?

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
In this case Reinhart acts as his co center to take off the load on faceoffs/defense, also not many contenders have room for Foligno. If he's sold on Buffalo turning the corner and his dad being a marquee player for them he could get a large retirement contract while being a big part of the team. IMO they need someone like him to glue the lineup together at forward and the effect up and down the lineup is worth the overpay. Just looking at how much someone like Oshie or Dustin Brown brings.

But they aren't turning the corner they are dead last again

Kuznetsnow

Nov 26, 2019
But they aren't turning the corner they are dead last again

Philly finished dead last in 2007 and got to the conference finals in 2008 bringing in Hartnell, Timonen, Upshall etc. Similar type of retool. They sold a bunch of solid players on a quick turnaround and got it

howkie

Dec 13, 2014
Olfsson on the 3rd line is such a waste he is a 1st line player if I were him I’d demand a trade in that case. He’s the Sabres best winger.

Erhm, he has never been a first.line winger. He is a PP-specialist and should be used as Sam Gagner in Jackets. Put Skinner next to Eichel, and let Olofsson play on the third line.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $354.00