Speculation: Buffalo needs a Captain...Trade or FA suggestions ?

Irie

Nov 14, 2010
Pacific Northwest
Logan Couture. If he's healthy enough and willing.
I don't understand where this is coming from. The Sharks dressing room imploded after Couture was made captain and has been a hot mess ever since. Couture is 35, way overpaid, and is signed for 3 more years. He also may or may not be done as an NHL player due to injuries, and even if he is healthy enough to play to start the season, there is a better than average chance that he ends up on permanent LTIR before the year is out. Seems like a really random choice, given all the other options around the league.

Grinner

May 31, 2022
I don't understand where this is coming from. The Sharks dressing room imploded after Couture was made captain and has been a hot mess ever since. Couture is 35, way overpaid, and is signed for 3 more years. He also may or may not be done as an NHL player due to injuries, and even if he is healthy enough to play to start the season, there is a better than average chance that he ends up on permanent LTIR before the year is out. Seems like a really random choice, given all the other options around the league.
The Sharks were trending downwards regardless of who was captain.
Yes, he is indeed a veteran.
He also has a proven record as a playoff performer.

He likes it in San Jose but, he's probably one of the few who might day yes to Bing traded to Buffalo

Irie

Nov 14, 2010
Pacific Northwest
The Sharks were trending downwards regardless of who was captain.
Yes, he is indeed a veteran.
He also has a proven record as a playoff performer.

He likes it in San Jose but, he's probably one of the few who might day yes to Bing traded to Buffalo

I keep reading, "Couture is great in the playoffs", but Couture has not been in the playoffs since he was 30. Couture had another gear when he was younger and would elevate his game when the postseason rolled around. At 35, I feel like it is pretty unrealistic to expect Couture to have that extra gear, especially given his injury issues.

Reactions: DJN21

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
Goodrow isn't actually a bad fit in my (non-Sabres supporting) view. 3C, experienced, annoying to play against. The only downside is he's not worth his contract really but isn't awful.

Not as captain but as a leader.
Dahlin has dibs, if he wants it.

Regardless, Trouba [already a cap, fills need for tuf RD]
and
Goodrow (see above) are fits as plan b, or alternate caps w/character

Trouba - key is if he wants to go there.
Rs will move at 1.5 retained to get 6.5 cap recovered
cost for 2 seasons is a 2nd + a 3rd

Good - we will retain 1.6x down to even 2.0
at that pt he has nominal positive value
something like a 6th + Good for a 3rd or two 4ths, something like dat

Grinner

May 31, 2022
I keep reading, "Couture is great in the playoffs", but Couture has not been in the playoffs since he was 30. Couture had another gear when he was younger and would elevate his game when the postseason rolled around. At 35, I feel like it is pretty unrealistic to expect Couture to have that extra gear, especially given his injury issues.
Feel free to check his play off stats
You're not blaming Couture for the Sharks not making the playoffs are you?

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation

Yeah, for a time there he had the most playoff goals over like a five year span. But that was before the ankle injuries.

Irie

Nov 14, 2010
Pacific Northwest

No. If that is what you read from my post, I just don't know what to say.

Listen, Couture has not been in the playoffs since he was a few weeks removed from his 20s. He is now 35. He has major mileage and injuries on his body. Anyone expecting him to have that extra playoff gear is probably going to be shocked and extremely disappointed if he ever gets there again.

As a former Sharks Season ticket holder, and someone that attended 5 playoff games his last playoff season, and a boatload during his entire career. I know what type of player he was, and I am also very realistic about what should be expected of him at his age now. The argument that Couture is a proven playoff performer in the context of "that is what you are getting when you trade for him" now five years and multiple major injuries later, is disingenuous.

Reactions: bernmeister

Grinner

May 31, 2022
No. If that is what you read from my post, I just don't know what to say.

Listen, Couture has not been in the playoffs since he was a few weeks removed from his 20s. He is now 35. He has major mileage and injuries on his body. Anyone expecting him to have that extra playoff gear is probably going to be shocked and extremely disappointed if he ever gets there again.

As a former Sharks Season ticket holder, and someone that attended 5 playoff games his last playoff season, and a boatload during his entire career. I know what type of player he was, and I am also very realistic about what should be expected of him at his age now. The argument that Couture is a proven playoff performer in the context of "that is what you are getting when you trade for him" now five years and multiple major injuries later, is disingenuous.
And?

garmonbozia

Jan 10, 2006
Pay Stamkos as much or more than he currently makes and the Lightning probably look the other way while you do.

His points probably decline from here on out, but, he's a good leader with Captain experience on a cup winning team.

DingDongCharlie

Sep 12, 2010
Maybe they take a big run at Brett Pesce in free agency. Fills their need at RD and leadership void. You need more than just Tuch and a bunch of young guns.

pf8363

Feb 17, 2015
It should not be dahlin. Nice player but not captain material. I would try to acquire a veteran 2C (ROR type) and give him the captaincy. I think it has to be a trade. I keep thinking about Vegas given the cap crunch they are in. I doubt they’d move him but if William karlsson became available the Sabres have the young assets to overpay for him

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad