Buffalo Bills Talk 2018 - The Offseason

Status
Not open for further replies.

Husko

Jun 30, 2006
Greenwich, CT
Stay put and draft Jackson or Rudolph. Build a solid team with your picks.

The last time there were 5 QBs in the top 12:

Tim Couch
Donovan McNabb
Akili Smith
Daunte Caulpepper
Cade McNown

Aaron Rodgers went in the 20s, Alex Smith went 1.

There are a million other examples of why not to trade up.

Drafting QBs is a crapshoot, and the best way to ensure success is to surround them with a good cast.
There may be outlier examples that say otherwise, but if you compare top 5 pick QBs to QBs taken 6-15 to QBs taken 16-32, it’s pretty clear the higher you pick your QB the better. Second half QBs bust well over 50% of the time.

is the answer jesus

Mar 10, 2008
Tonawanda, NY
I'd be fine with Rudolph or Jackson in the 2nd round, but neither will be there by the time we pick. Taking either at #22 or god forbid at #12 seems like too much of a reach. Sit tight, see how the draft plays out. The Browns, Jets, and Broncos will take a QB. Whomever slips out of that group could then be the target. A small trade up to get ahead of the Dolphins might be all that is then required. No ridiculous overpayment like the Jets paid. I'd imagine getting to #2 would cost both 1st's and next years 1st, which is just way too rich for my blood.

26CornerBlitz

Sponsor
Apr 14, 2012
South Jersey

MayDay

Oct 21, 2005
Pleasantville, NY
There may be outlier examples that say otherwise, but if you compare top 5 pick QBs to QBs taken 6-15 to QBs taken 16-32, it’s pretty clear the higher you pick your QB the better. Second half QBs bust well over 50% of the time.

Aaron Rodgers was drafted #24 overall.

You could get a great quarterback anywhere in the draft. And QBs taken at the top bust pretty often too.

Whatever the Bills do, they should be smart. Don't pay a king's ransom, and don't reach. If you can't easily get one of the top QBs, don't try to force it. Maybe Mason Rudolph will turn out to be the best of the bunch. No one really knows.

sabrebuild

Apr 21, 2014
Pittsburgh
Do they wait it out for the draft and see who is left at 5 and try to deal with Denver if their guy is still there.

This year seems tough to know who is going where. If the Browns really take Allen then it seems worth to blow a lot of picks on Darnold and trade with the Giants.

If not, take Jackson and load up your team with this load of picks. They can just about address every position of weakness with a top 90 selection.

Let Jackson learn to not get killed during a redshirt year, and give Macarrooni has talent to prove himself with.

Reactions: Rowley Birkin

sincerity0

Dec 23, 2016

You could get a great quarterback anywhere in the draft. And QBs taken at the top bust pretty often too.

Whatever the Bills do, they should be smart. Don't pay a king's ransom, and don't reach. If you can't easily get one of the top QBs, don't try to force it. Maybe Mason Rudolph will turn out to be the best of the bunch. No one really knows.

Jesus. This is the same argument about not tanking we just went through as a fan base.

Yea. You can get good / elite / hall of fame players later in the draft. It’s a crapshoot. “Tom Brady was a 6th rounder”. Datsyk went in the fifth. Who cares. Everyone knows the best players are concentrated at the top of the draft. This is not debatable. This goes for any sport: NHL, MLB, NFL, NBA. It doesn’t matter.

At the end of the day there’s one way to increase your odds of landing a franchise defining player. That’s at the top of the draft.

NotABadPeriod

ForFriendshipDikembe
Oct 28, 2006
Jesus. This is the same argument about not tanking we just went through as a fan base.

Yea. You can get good / elite / hall of fame players later in the draft. It’s a crapshoot. “Tom Brady was a 6th rounder”. Datsyk went in the fifth. Who cares. Everyone knows the best players are concentrated at the top of the draft. This is not debatable. This goes for any sport: NHL, MLB, NFL, NBA. It doesn’t matter.

At the end of the day there’s one way to increase your odds of landing a franchise defining player. That’s at the top of the draft.

From now on, every time someone mentions Aaron Rodgers's draft position I am going to counter with JP Losman.

Husko

Jun 30, 2006
Greenwich, CT

Yes, as I said there are outliers. But if you look at the success rate in each bracket, teams find success more often at the top of the round. It’s just fact.

26CornerBlitz

Sponsor
Apr 14, 2012
South Jersey
La Canfora: Here are the winners and losers from the blockbuster Jets-Colts trade
The Browns are sitting pretty and the Jets should be able to finally get their franchise QB

At this point I'd bet even money that the first five picks of the draft go: QB, RB/Pass Rusher, QB, QB, QB (yeah, four of the fop five picks are quarterbacks), setting the stage for a wild draft full of trades and plot twists. Here's a look at who I believe stands to gain the most from the swap:

Dec 8, 2013
Monte Carlo
And that's worked out so well for the Bills
Since Kelly, they've never really went out and got a guy they wanted. It's been more of "We need a QB this year, and that's it", which is unfortunately what they've boxed themselves into again...

2004, rumor is they were desperately trying to trade for Ben. Then forced themselves into Losman.

2013, they felt comfortable trading down below numerous QB needy teams and still getting EJ.

Husko

Jun 30, 2006
Greenwich, CT
Since Kelly, they've never really went out and got a guy they wanted. It's been more of "We need a QB this year, and that's it", which is unfortunately what they've boxed themselves into again...

2004, rumor is they were desperately trying to trade for Ben. Then forced themselves into Losman.

2013, they felt comfortable trading down below numerous QB needy teams and still getting EJ.
Yep. Zero top 10 pick QBs....

Panthaz89

Buffalo Sabres, Carolina Panthers fan
Dec 24, 2016
Buffalo,NY
my opinion which usually pans out kind of like how 1 or 2 QBs tend to actually be good when 5 or so get taken in the first two rounds.....and none of these guys aren't exactly as good as Watson was for the NFL throwing wise(which was hilarious to hear critics somehow say his was bad). Darnold is the funniest of them all considering how inefficient he is compared to the others. Only one with a REAL chance is Mayfield but he has an attitude problem which means he might not be looking to work as hard in the NFL.

Husko

Jun 30, 2006
Greenwich, CT
Here's the numbers I alluded to above. First round QBs over the past 20 drafts (excluding last year because too early to tell):

Top 5
Franchise: 11 (42%)
Competent Starter: 7 (27%)
Bust: 8 (31%)

6-15
Franchise: 1 (10%)
Competent Starter: 4 (40%)
Bust: 5 (50%)

16-32
Franchise: 1 (6%)
Competent Starter: 4 (25%)
Bust: 11 (69%)

And that is why I want to go to the top and get the guy they think is the best instead of just taking whichever QB falls. The best guys go first more often than they don't.

Reactions: MATTHEWSisGretzky

Husko

Jun 30, 2006
Greenwich, CT
my opinion which usually pans out kind of like how 1 or 2 QBs tend to actually be good when 5 or so get taken in the first two rounds.....and none of these guys aren't exactly as good as Watson was for the NFL throwing wise(which was hilarious to hear critics somehow say his was bad). Darnold is the funniest of them all considering how inefficient he is compared to the others. Only one with a REAL chance is Mayfield but he has an attitude problem which means he might not be looking to work as hard in the NFL.

In the last 20 years, here is every time 5 or more QBs have been taken in the first round rounds, including number taken (denominator) and how many have been good (numerator):

2014: 3/5 (counting Bortles as 'not good')
2012: 2/5
2011: 3/6
2007: 0/5
2006: 2/5
1999: 3/6

So usually it's actually 2 or 3. But tell me more about how your opinion usually pans out.

Reactions: MATTHEWSisGretzky

Panthaz89

Buffalo Sabres, Carolina Panthers fan
Dec 24, 2016
Buffalo,NY
In the last 20 years, here is every time 5 or more QBs have been taken in the first round rounds, including number taken (denominator) and how many have been good (numerator):

2014: 3/5 (counting Bortles as 'not good')
2012: 2/5
2011: 3/6
2007: 0/5
2006: 2/5
1999: 3/6

So usually it's actually 2 or 3. But tell me more about how your opinion usually pans out.
Their careers will tell everyone...and the jury is still out on 2012+ QBs really...so and getting a competent QB isn't really going to do anything considering the Bills WRs suck...Tyrod was already competent. People need to be more realistic with QBs instead of being so optimistic. A few good years isn't good for a top pick as they are expected to stay with your franchise til the end. Who the heck are you including other than Newton and Dalton in the 2011 draft? Gabbert is bad and Kaepernick is basically out of the league at this point. most of your QBs that you included still have a great chance of fizzling out at which point it wouldn't of been worth the pick.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad