Buffalo Bills Talk 2018 - The Offseason

Status
Not open for further replies.

26CornerBlitz

Sponsor
Apr 14, 2012
South Jersey
What does a conservatively realistic 2018 season look like for Josh Allen?

Buffalo Bills quarterback Josh Allen entered the first phase of the team’s OTAs as the third quarterback on the depth chart. In due time, the highest drafted quarterback in Buffalo history will take the reins of the offense. For now, Allen will work to earn the right to move up the Bills’ quarterback pecking order.

Buffalo will remain patient in developing its franchise quarterback. The team is still in the midst of transitioning the roster to completely fit what coach Sean McDermott and general manager Brandon Beane wish to build. It would be to the detriment of Allen and the team to place the rookie in a sub-optimal situation.

Allen has his flaws, but the Bills’ coaching staff believes that they can help the 6-foot-5, 237-pound strong-armed quarterback fix issues with his throwing mechanics, footwork, and decision-making. After drafting Allen, Beane shared that he has “no doubt” these errors will be corrected.

The Wyoming product is competing against free agent signee A.J. McCarron and sophomore Nathan Peterman for the starting role. Thus, there are options to guide the offense as Allen becomes accustomed to the pro game.

So what could Allen’s 2018 season resemble for the Bills?

sabrebuild

Apr 21, 2014
Pittsburgh
If you want to have that conversation, you have the link. Either go there or don't but it is pretty clearly laid out in the site rules which everyone participating here has agreed to follow as part of registration that political discussion is limited to that forum and that forum only.

Aye aye Captain.

26CornerBlitz

Sponsor
Apr 14, 2012
South Jersey
Benched and humbled, Buffalo Bills guard John Miller went back to his roots to get ready for 2018

Miller won the job coming out of training camp, but the Bills kept the competition with Vladimir Ducasse open as the regular season started. Four games into his third season, Miller was benched for the first time in his professional career, and never saw the field again in 2017.

From such a bright standing not even a year prior, he learned first hand of the harsh reality that exists inside professional football -- nothing is guaranteed.

"It was on me. I kind of let myself down in a way. Unfortunately, with that, I kind of feel like I let the team down as well," Miller said Thursday. "I lost the job. I own up to that, and I take full responsibility for that."

In response to such a stark experience, Miller's fight or flight instincts kicked in -- and he did the one thing he knew could re-center him entering the fourth and final year of his rookie contract with the Bills.

He went home to Miami, Florida to be with his family. He went back to his roots. And most importantly, he got back to being himself again.

26CornerBlitz

Sponsor
Apr 14, 2012
South Jersey
Shaq Lawson out to prove doubters wrong as Buffalo Bills training camp nears

Shaq Lawson has traveled a bumpy road since being selected with the No. 19 overall pick in the 2016 NFL draft. Injuries have limited him to just 21 of a potential 32 games played and his role within former coach Rex Ryan’s defensive scheme probably wasn’t ideal for his skill-set. Furthermore, his weight fluctuated as he was asked to play different roles. Drafted as a traditional defensive end, Lawson dropped weight to play outside linebacker before he was asked to bulk up again to move back to end.

His body couldn’t get up to speed with the constant weight fluctuation. It’s difficult to remove all blame from Lawson, but these issues definitely played a role in the former ACC Defensive Player of the Year’s slowed development.

26CornerBlitz

Sponsor
Apr 14, 2012
South Jersey
GROY EMBRACING NEW OPPORTUNITIES WITH BILLS
ryan-groy.jpg

Largely a reserve guard and center his first three years with the Bills, Ryan Groy looks to land a starting job and help to fill a leadership void on offense.

yahhockey

Jan 23, 2013

I realize spending money at WR and having talent at the position are not necessarily the same thing if you draft well and utilize the cost-controlled years. Also, spending money at WR is futile if you don't have a competent QB to throw him the ball.

Icicle

Think big
Oct 16, 2005

I realize spending money at WR and having talent at the position are not necessarily the same thing if you draft well and utilize the cost-controlled years. Also, spending money at WR is futile if you don't have a competent QB to throw him the ball.

Sure, but this undermines the argument that good receivers make good quarterbacks. The good QBs, who are fundamental to most playoff caliber teams, don't require expensive receivers to get the job done. There's obviously exceptions to the rule, but a team not spending a lot of money on receivers does not correlate with success at all, so as far as priorities go, I'm totally fine with our front office having that be the bottom of their priority list.

Tight ends however..

Push Dr Tracksuit

Gerstmann 3:16
Jun 9, 2012
Sure, but this undermines the argument that good receivers make good quarterbacks. The good QBs, who are fundamental to most playoff caliber teams, don't require expensive receivers to get the job done. There's obviously exceptions to the rule, but a team not spending a lot of money on receivers does not correlate with success at all, so as far as priorities go, I'm totally fine with our front office having that be the bottom of their priority list.

Tight ends however..
Meh, while I tend to agree you don’t need big names/big money receivers if you have a good qb, this data I don’t think supports any conclusions

3 teams in the top 20 made the playoffs
GB and Sea missed and are perennial playoff teams, GB is 3rd on that list
At least 4 other teams in the top 20 that I’d say are good shots at being playoff teams this year
KC Buf Ten and Bal don’t have great passing games and are in the bottom 20

Again just taking a shot at the significance of the data not the rest of your points

26CornerBlitz

Sponsor
Apr 14, 2012
South Jersey
Bills continue Phase Three/OTAs this week

The Bills continue Phase Three of their nine-week voluntary offseason workout program this week.

During Phase Three, teams may conduct a total of 10 days of organized team practice activity, or “OTAs." No live contact is permitted, but 7-on-7, 9-on-7, and 11-on-11 drills are permitted. Article 22 of the Collective Bargaining Agreement stipulates that clubs may hold one mandatory minicamp for veteran players during Phase Three of the offseason program.

The Bills will hold their mandatory minicamp June 12-14.

26CornerBlitz

Sponsor
Apr 14, 2012
South Jersey

26CornerBlitz

Sponsor
Apr 14, 2012
South Jersey
Which First Round Rookie QBs Should Start Week 1? - Inside The Pylon

By Clayton Smarslok

Josh Allen, Buffalo Bills (7th Overall)

The Bills finally snapped their playoff drought only to let their starting QB leave. So leading up to the draft everyone knew they would make the move up. We didn’t know when, we didn’t know for who, but we knew it was going to happen. So now that they got their guy in Allen, how do the pieces look around him?

Offensive Line: This was one bad offseason for the offensive line. They lost both Eric Woodand Richie Incognito to retirement and traded Cordy Glenn to be able to move up to 12 from 21, which ultimately landed them Allen. This left them with two incumbent starters in RG Vlad Ducasse and RT Jordan Mills. Replacing Glenn is second year LT Dion Dawkins, who actually filled in for Glenn when he was injured. Dawkins played so well in fact that he was actually among the top five left tackles in the game during the second half of the season, according to Pro Football Focus. To replace the other two that left, they brought in C Russell Bodine from Cincinnati and drafted OG Wyatt Teller in the fifth round. Career swing interior offensive lineman Ryan Groy will likely compete somewhere on the OL. The interior line is worrisome as there is either inexperience or inconsistent play. The only player on the line that I believe in is Dion Dawkins, who has started less than 16 games. Ranking: (5th of 5)

Wide Receivers/Tight Ends: I’m just going to be blunt about it, this is a rough group. Their top receiver is Kelvin Benjamin, who they traded for last year but he is a number two at best. Behind him is second round, second year player Zay Jones. Jones had some unfortunate headlines this offseason after coming off a down rookie season so he is a question mark. He also just underwent knee surgery and is expected to miss most of the spring. And behind him are Andre Holmes and Jeremy Kerley, neither of which can stick with a team. They do have Charles Clay at tight end who is still a solid security blanket. Hopefully Clay can get used more than he has been at times. While I really liked Zay Jones coming out of East Carolina, this is a group that scares me, and not in a good way. Ranking: (5th of 5)

Running Backs: The running game is still all Shady McCoy. They brought in some much needed depth with Chris Ivory who is a great compliment, especially as the goal line and short yardage back. McCoy may still be considered a top 10 running back, but how much tread does he have left entering his age 30 season? I can see him going down with an injury, which will really hurt the offense as a whole if it happens. Ranking: (3rd of 5)

Current Quarterback Situation: Losing Tyrod isn’t horrible but they did replace him with AJ McCarron who has only a handful of starts. He was only signed for 10 million over two years so it’s not like they are forced to play him. They still have Nathan Peterman but I think we all know his era is over in Buffalo barring any injuries.

I Say… Sit him. It will be tough considering they traded into the top ten for Allen but this is a terrible situation for him to come into. I thought Allen needed the most work before stepping onto the field so throwing him into the fire here will only hurt him. The supporting cast, especially the offensive line, is lackluster who won’t be able to help him grow. Let McCarron get his playing time and allow Allen to make the transition from Wyoming to the NFL with no immediate pressure.

26CornerBlitz

Sponsor
Apr 14, 2012
South Jersey
Bills OC Brian Daboll's scheme to 'change,' 'evolve' based on player strengths

So much of the Buffalo Bills’ offensive woes last season stemmed from the unfit, prearranged marriage between offensive coordinator Rick Dennison and quarterback Tyrod Taylor. It was apparent early in the season that Dennison’s zone running scheme and short-passing attack handcuffed the offense. More so, the scheme didn’t mesh well with the personnel and offered little change. Confirmation came in a dismal playoff effort in Jacksonville.

Enter new offensive coordinator Brian Daboll, fresh off a National Championship where he saw his head coach bench starting quarterback Jalen Hurts en route to victory. The former Alabama coordinator also experienced success in New England, where, arguably, no organization makes better in-game adjustments. While speaking to the media on Thursday, Daboll confirmed that his offense is dynamic, ever-changing and constantly open for improvements.

26CornerBlitz

Sponsor
Apr 14, 2012
South Jersey
2018 NFL season: One key homegrown player for each AFC team

Buffalo Bills: Zay Jones, Wide Receiver

Jones' jagged rookie campaign has been trumped by a rockier offseason. Last year's No. 37 overall pick incurred a felony vandalism charge, which was later dropped, sandwiched between shoulder surgery and a knee surgery that will keep him off the field during OTAs.

This is usually the part of a fledging player's career where he gets buried on the depth chart and needs to earn his spot back on the field after getting 791 snaps on rookie scholarship. But the Bills need Jones to play because their wideout depth chart might be the NFL's worst. Once he's healthy, the East Carolina product will need to cut down on his drops and do a better job coming up with contested catches, two factors in why he finished with the NFL's second-lowest "catch percentage" in 2017 for anyone with more than 50 targets, per PFF.

Dingo44

We already won the trade
Sponsor
Jul 21, 2015
Greensboro, NC
Bills OC Brian Daboll's scheme to 'change,' 'evolve' based on player strengths

So much of the Buffalo Bills’ offensive woes last season stemmed from the unfit, prearranged marriage between offensive coordinator Rick Dennison and quarterback Tyrod Taylor. It was apparent early in the season that Dennison’s zone running scheme and short-passing attack handcuffed the offense. More so, the scheme didn’t mesh well with the personnel and offered little change. Confirmation came in a dismal playoff effort in Jacksonville.

Enter new offensive coordinator Brian Daboll, fresh off a National Championship where he saw his head coach bench starting quarterback Jalen Hurts en route to victory. The former Alabama coordinator also experienced success in New England, where, arguably, no organization makes better in-game adjustments. While speaking to the media on Thursday, Daboll confirmed that his offense is dynamic, ever-changing and constantly open for improvements.

Amen. I think one of my biggest frustrations with any coach in hockey or football is those who coach to what they want to do, instead of what they can do with what they have.

26CornerBlitz

Sponsor
Apr 14, 2012
South Jersey
Allen with mixed-bag of results Thursday

Here are some notes and observations for the Bills OTA session Thursday, their sixth of ten this spring.

—QB reps: A.J. McCarron took all the first-team reps. Nathan Peterman second-team reps, and Josh Allen worked exclusively with the third team.

—The Bills worked on 11-on-11 red zone situations early in practice, then 2-minute situations late.

In the 2-minute drills:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad