Buffalo Bills Talk 2018 - The Offseason

Status
Not open for further replies.

Husko

Jun 30, 2006
Greenwich, CT
Their careers will tell everyone...and the jury is still out on 2012+ QBs really...so and getting a competent QB isn't really going to do anything considering the Bills WRs suck...Tyrod was already competent. People need to be more realistic with QBs instead of being so optimistic. A few good years isn't good for a top pick as they are expected to stay with your franchise til the end.
So you would just follow the same model the Bills have tried the last 20 years? Don't draft a QB because you're too scared? It's worked out so well the last 20 years, lets keep at it another 20!

Panthaz89

Buffalo Sabres, Carolina Panthers fan
Dec 24, 2016
Buffalo,NY
So you would just follow the same model the Bills have tried the last 20 years? Don't draft a QB because you're too scared? It's worked out so well the last 20 years, lets keep at it another 20!
well right now they can't move up without getting boned by the other team....chances are the top 3 picks(QB needy) are teams trying to get QBs and I was one of those people mad at them for not taking Watson when they had the chance before he even got to play. If I have to read another article about QB arm strength somehow dictates where a QB ends up in the draft when the position is all about managing the game. A lot of college QBs are going to put up ridiculous numbers thanks to competition...if you think a QB has serious accuracy issues he shouldn't even be a thought in the draft process as teams still believe they can somehow "teach" accuracy when you really can't which is why Lamar Jackson getting consideration. QBs fit the stupid tall, strong arm, and white get overrated almost exclusively even when they don't have the traits that matter. People also overlook ball placement which matters a lot more in the NFL than college because players on average are WAY quicker. Gettleman isn't going to trade down anyway knowing him from the Panthers.

Panthaz89

Dec 24, 2016
Buffalo,NY
On a side not its funny how some people last year were arguing that Mike Williams made Watson and he was actually drafted before him at 7 and was beyond terrible for a rookie WR. Seems like most people forgot he existed and for some reason Mike Williams is a bad name juju for draft busts how many have had that name?

Dubi Doo

Aug 27, 2008
Mayfield, Rosen, Darnold, or bust . If you can't get one of those 3 then move on. I've only listened to analyst, so my opinion is a grain of salt..

Last edited:

stokes84

Jun 30, 2008
Charleston, SC
Mayfield, Rosen, Darnold, or bust . If you can't get one of those 3 then move on. I've only listened to analyst, so my opinion is a grain of salt..

I've watched them all. A lot. I also played the position all the way up through HS and coached for a short time (I know, big whoop. But if you've actually played you can understand a lot of the subtle things a QB deals with). IMO, Rosen is in a league of his own (but still not that far ahead), but then you can lump the other 5 together.

I actually think Mayfield is going to have problems. If you watch Oklahoma, his lineman have wide splits and they do a great job of opening up throwing lanes. He's not going to get that in the NFL, everything is going to be much more compact. I'd be worried about him the most.

Ace

Oct 29, 2015

Move on to what? They let every ship sail already.

All of their eggs are in this one basket.

Last edited:

is the answer jesus

Mar 10, 2008
Tonawanda, NY
Move on to what? They let every ship sail already.

All of their eggs are in this one basket.
Lauletta, Rudolph, maybe Jackson (for the record I don't want either of Rudolph or Jackson in the 1st so that may eliminate them as targets) I was firmly in the move up to get a QB camp and I still think there's an opportunity to. The Giants and Browns are both options to move up, although given what the Jets gave up I'd prefer we just avoid that option. The better option is moving up into the top 10 and bypassing the Dolphins to get whomever of Rosen, Darnold, Mayfield and Allen fall (this assumes the Giants pass on a QB). If this doesn't pan out, I won't be distraught. Beane still made a lot of smart moves that gave us financial flexibility, tons of draft capital, and was rather aggressive in filling holes in free agency. Look to move up, but don't let a team holding one of those picks hold you hostage.

MayDay

Oct 21, 2005
Pleasantville, NY

Reaching for a QB in the first round just because you need one (Losman, Manuel) hasn’t worked out so well for them either.

Reactions: MagnumForce2

MagnumForce2

Dec 16, 2011
This isn't the NHL draft where Dahlin is the consensus #1 pick. There is no certainty which QB will go 1st or even 3rd for that matter. Also factor Barkley, Chubb and Nelson into the equation and one or two of the top 4 QBs could get pushed out of the top 5 depending on what the Giants or Denver do. If the Bills have one QB they like in particular....they would have to wait until Cleveland drafts at #1 to weigh out if it would feasible to trade up to pick #2 with the Giants. We made the playoffs for the first time in 17 years yet still own picks 12, 22 53, 56, 65, 96, 121, 166. 187. We signed a FA QB to a favorable contract who was recently traded for 2nd and 3rd in a bungled deal. McDermott and Beane are doing an excellent job and regardless of what happens between now and the end of the draft, the Bills will be a vastly improved team.

truthbluth

Feb 2, 2011
If it's impossible to get the QB they like, there is no rationale for drafting a QB they don't like.

MagnumForce2

Dec 16, 2011
It's sort of odd how the McCarron deal mess up led to the Browns trading for Tyrod .... and then we ended up with McCarron and a 3rd rd pick.

Zip15

Jun 3, 2009
Bodymore
The Giants were an 11-win team the season before this past one. My guess is that ownership there would rather try to add talent to Eli and co. for one more run. They could certainly draft a QB, I just don't see it.

As a Giants fan, I'd be a bit surprised if they didn't go QB at #2. Eli is 37, has been terrible for the last two seasons, and you had the "good fortune" of having everything go wrong in a season before a very good QB class where you can address the position for the next 10+ years. Throw in the fact that you play in a division with a team that likely has a perennial Pro Bowl-caliber QB coming off a SB win, and another team who's set for the foreseeable future at QB (Cowboys) - who cares about the Redskins - the time is now to take a QB. Also, I can't imagine that they hired a HC in Shurmur simply to squeeze another two productive seasons out of Eli at the expense of not getting him a top-end QB to develop. The Solder signing cuts both ways, as it can be seen as "win now" or "protect your young QB you draft at #2."

My biggest fear is that they stay at #2 to draft Barkley, as that neither addresses the QB question - say nothing for how bad Eli is at throwing to RBs, which would negate one of Barkley's biggest strengths - nor allows them to stock their roster with young, cheap talent.

If Beane still wants his guy, it's still very possible but costly. The Jets paid almost 1,000 points more for the worth of the Colts pick according to the old JJ chart. Using that methodology, Buffalo can package 12, 22, 53, and 65 for the Giants pick. Then throw the 2019 on top. Typically, on out year 1st is worth about 1,000 points.

For me, I'd do that trade. Guarantees Rosen or Darnold.

IF they're going to stick with Eli and push off the QB question for another couple of years, your proposal is intriguing. They could fill a lot of holes with cheap talent, and it's no guarantee that the Bills are playoff team next year, so the 2019 pick could have upside, as well. But I'm not sure the Giants want to move all the way down to 12.

MagnumForce2

Dec 16, 2011
I think that if the one of the Giants or Denver or both pass on a QB and Chubb is off the board.....The Colts are going to become a very popular team for 15 mins.

Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel
IF they're going to stick with Eli and push off the QB question for another couple of years, your proposal is intriguing. They could fill a lot of holes with cheap talent, and it's no guarantee that the Bills are playoff team next year, so the 2019 pick could have upside, as well. But I'm not sure the Giants want to move all the way down to 12.

I saw an interesting 3-way trade idea on Buffalo Rumbligns today which might work for everyone.

BUF gets 2 from NYG, 140 from IND
IND gets 12, 56, 121 from BUF
NYG gets 6 from IND, 22 and 65 BUF

Buffalo is left with 2, 53, 96, 140, 166, 187. A pretty standard draft with a pick in each round, and their pick of whoever Cleveland doesn't take at QB.

The Giants stay in the top 6, and assuming 1-3 are QBs, and Denver doesn't take a QB, they could be left with a QB to succeed Manning. If Denver does take a QB, they could pick, and try for Jackson or Rudolph at 22.

Indy gets a slew of picks to rebuild around Luck.

Waterfowlist

Aug 9, 2012
Why is center a gaping hole? Gray is a good center. I guess they need depth, but any time you have a legit starter I wouldn't call it a gaping hole.

Also, EJ was never a first round talent even though he went in the first round; so that isn't a good comparison. Any of the top 5 QB prospects this year are good enough to go in the top 15 in pretty much any draft year.

Panthaz89

Dec 24, 2016
Buffalo,NY
If 5-6 QBs go into the top 15 there is a lack of smart GMs in the NFL. Closest was 4 in 2012 and the only one who is even in relevance is Cam while Ponder, Gabbert, and Locker are irrelevant. Most of the successful QBs in the first round were top 2 picks and excessive talent/IQ to make up for it...Bills should just wait and get a QB they want if he falls to them. People like to bring up that they haven't got a QB since Kelly but the Bills didn't need a top pick to get him. 83 draft was the most stacked QB draft ever and only 4 were in the top 15.

Last edited:

truthbluth

Feb 2, 2011
If 5-6 QBs go into the top 15 there is a lack of smart GMs in the NFL. Closest was 4 in 2012 and the only one who is even in relevance is Cam while Ponder, Gabbert, and Locker. Most of the successful QBs in the first round were top 2 picks and excessive talent/IQ to make up for it...Bills should just wait and get a QB they want if he falls to them. People like to bring up that they haven't got a QB since Kelly but the Bills didn't need a top pick to get him. 83 draft was the most stacked QB draft ever and only 4 were in the top 15.
If you are able to convince me of the relevance of the number of QBs that have been drafted in the first round in any prior draft to this draft, I'll eat a hat.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
Peter King: Inside Kirk Cousins' fast free agency

Two recent deals must be studied for precedent here:
• In 2012, Washington traded three first-round picks and a second-round pick to the Rams for the second overall pick. Immense payment to move up four spots. In fact, on the Draft Trade Value Chart that some teams use (not religiously), Washington gave up 5,490 points of draft-pick value and acquired 2,600. But that was the price they had to pay to move up for Robert Griffin III. Griffin, of course, was a bust. So you’d think the Rams killed Washington on the trade. But with the trade of linebacker Alec Ogletree to the Giants this month, the Rams have only defensive tackle Michael Brockers left from the mega-trade with Washington. They made terrible use of the picks. If possible, considering so many dashed hopes, this was a trade that hurt both teams.
• In 2016, Philadelphia traded first, third and fourth-round picks in 2016, a first-round pick in 2017 and a second-round pick in 2018 to Cleveland to acquire the second overall pick in the ’16 draft, and a fourth-rounder in 2017. That first-rounder turned into Carson Wentz, who appears to be a franchise quarterback. Cleveland? It’s not over, but it’s not looking good so far. The five picks from Philadelphia have so far turned into 10 picks, and of the eight players the Browns have chosen so far, only one of them—safety Jabrill Peppers—appears to have a chance to be a top-flight starter. The highest pick, wideout Corey Coleman (15th overall, 2016) has been wholly unimpressive. Cleveland has the fourth and 64th picks this year to try to make this trade pay off.

And then...

2. I think—gut feeling—that Buffalo will try hard to move up in the first round to the Giants at two. Now that the Jets pick third, the Bills know there’s a good chance the top three picks will be quarterbacks. How can Buffalo risk waiting till four and, presumably, dealing with Cleveland to move up? Dangerous move.

If the Bills move up to 2, it is going to cost a ton.

Reactions: MATTHEWSisGretzky

Zip15

Jun 3, 2009
Bodymore
I saw an interesting 3-way trade idea on Buffalo Rumbligns today which might work for everyone.

BUF gets 2 from NYG, 140 from IND
IND gets 12, 56, 121 from BUF
NYG gets 6 from IND, 22 and 65 BUF

Buffalo is left with 2, 53, 96, 140, 166, 187. A pretty standard draft with a pick in each round, and their pick of whoever Cleveland doesn't take at QB.

The Giants stay in the top 6, and assuming 1-3 are QBs, and Denver doesn't take a QB, they could be left with a QB to succeed Manning. If Denver does take a QB, they could pick, and try for Jackson or Rudolph at 22.

Indy gets a slew of picks to rebuild around Luck.

Mehhh. I'd want more as a Giants fan, TBH. If we're trading out of a spot to draft a franchise QB to take over for our aging QB, I want a haul so good that you simply look at it and get giddy. The Giants are truly in the catbird seat right now.

Reactions: Der Jaeger

Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel
Mehhh. I'd want more as a Giants fan, TBH. If we're trading out of a spot to draft a franchise QB to take over for our aging QB, I want a haul so good that you simply look at it and get giddy. The Giants are truly in the catbird seat right now.

I’d make that original trade (12, 22, 53, 65, 2019 1st) and not blink.

is the answer jesus

Mar 10, 2008
Tonawanda, NY
Yeah if the Jets trade up showed us anything it's that getting into the top 3 will cost a fortune. This is the exact scenario Beane shouldn't get sucked into. You want the 2nd overall pick the Giants are likely asking for both 1sts this year and our 1st next year. I love this QB class, but I can't justify giving that much up. My gut tells me the Giants take Barkley at 2 if he's there. Not the pick I'd make if I were them, but it could certainly benefit the Bills if one of the top 4 qb's slipped out of the top 5 picks in the 1st.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad