Rumor: Buf-LA

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
The rumor stems from Mitchell being out for a few weeks at the minimum, and the Kings need a replacement for him. If a deal like this does happen (I don't think it will), I can see something like Richardson + a late pick for Leopold.

:shakehead

The sabres have a couple forwards dinged up at camp. I can see something like Adam Pardy and a late pick for Jarret Stoll :sarcasm:

see how stupid that looks? that's what these Scrubs for Leopold trades look like

KingCanadain1976

Jul 8, 2009
Thunder Bay Ont. Can
you can have Adam Pardy if all you are going to offer is scraps

you don't get a 20 minute/30 pt/all situations defensemen who is still in his prime years... for your 4th line and AHL scrubs...

lets be serious

I think ur underestimating Lokti He is a nhl player on most clubs. The only reason hes in the ahl is he plays center behind Kopitar richards and Stoll Hes a offenisive line center which in a more offensive minded team he would be a 45 - 55 two way player. The reason i also added richardson is there was a request for a winger that can play 3rd or 4 the line min and play on the pk which suits richardson to a tee. I am open to counter offers but i am trying to give whats asked for

struckbyaparkedcar

Guilty of Being Right
Mar 1, 2008
Upstate NY
Oops. Rookie mistake on my part. In that case, either Dwight King or Jordan Nolan would be nice, although I'm sure LA is more willing to offer in the ballpark of Brad Richardson and scraps...

Old Navy Goat

Apr 24, 2003
Pattaya Thailand aka adult Disneyland
I think ur underestimating Lokti He is a nhl player on most clubs. The only reason hes in the ahl is he plays center behind Kopitar richards and Stoll Hes a offenisive line center which in a more offensive minded team he would be a 45 - 55 two way player. The reason i also added richardson is there was a request for a winger that can play 3rd or 4 the line min and play on the pk which suits richardson to a tee. I am open to counter offers but i am trying to give whats asked for

I think that prognosticating him to be a 45-55 pt player in the NHL is a little too generous since that would be more than his output in the AHL. He's a decent prospect but isn't anything special.

KingCanadain1976

Jul 8, 2009
Thunder Bay Ont. Can
Oops. Rookie mistake on my part. In that case, either Dwight King or Jordan Nolan would be nice, although I'm sure LA is more willing to offer in the ballpark of Brad Richardson and scraps...

To be honest with you if it was my choice id be all over sending nolon to you for leopold. I 'm not as in love with him as the rest of my fellow kings fan. Also with getting stewart today i think he would be decent enuff replacement. In my kings roster Nolon would be sent down cause he doesnt have to clear waivers. Unfortunately most king fans are in love with him and think hes the answer to the 4th line rw, Also they seem to love his "tuffness"

I honestly dont see Lokti as the scraps your fans seem to think he is. As i ve stated above he makes more teams in the nhl then not. Hes stuck behind the kings centers which is why hes not in the nhl. Brad Richardson is a jack of all trades and defensively a good player to add for a teams pk. The one thing you need to remember is la is a defense frist team and that style of play is going to restrict your points as a player. Richardson has played on the frist line at times and really didnt look out of place. He has a lot of speed imo that would be missed if he left la.

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida

no, he isn't.

if we wanted to use a somewhat talented AHLer, who people still pretend has NHL upside, we'd just call up Luke Adam. He's been more successful than Loki at both the AHL and NHL levels.

you want a bottom pairing defensemen... that suits Adam Pardy to a tee. here, you can have him for Brad Richardson.

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
To be honest with you if it was my choice id be all over sending nolon to you for leopold. I 'm not as in love with him as the rest of my fellow kings fan. Also with getting stewart today i think he would be decent enuff replacement. In my kings roster Nolon would be sent down cause he doesnt have to clear waivers. Unfortunately most king fans are in love with him and think hes the answer to the 4th line rw, Also they seem to love his "tuffness"

I honestly dont see Lokti as the scraps your fans seem to think he is. As i ve stated above he makes more teams in the nhl then not. Hes stuck behind the kings centers which is why hes not in the nhl. Brad Richardson is a jack of all trades and defensively a good player to add for a teams pk. The one thing you need to remember is la is a defense frist team and that style of play is going to restrict your points as a player. Richardson has played on the frist line at times and really didnt look out of place. He has a lot of speed imo that would be missed if he left la.

wow, that's quite a bit of praise you are giving to a guy you want to trade... hmmm i wonder why.... maybe because you are trying to trade a 4th liner for a top 4 2 way defensemen

here, let me tell you all the great qualities Mike Weber has, then i can add in Luke Adam and a pick, and you'll give me Justin Williams right?

seriously...

Pardy for Richardson

KingCanadain1976

Jul 8, 2009
Thunder Bay Ont. Can
I think that prognosticating him to be a 45-55 pt player in the NHL is a little too generous since that would be more than his output in the AHL. He's a decent prospect but isn't anything special.

OK maybe i went a little overboard with the production right off but playing with the right wingers more offensive minded in a few years i can see him developing into that. All he needs is to fill out a little more. The ahl monarches also try to play a defense frist type of game so his production would proberly go up in another system. This would have to be considered as well. Hes a better then average propect imo.

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
OK maybe i went a little overboard with the production right off but playing with the right wingers more offensive minded in a few years i can see him developing into that. All he needs is to fill out a little more. The ahl monarches also try to play a defense frist type of game so his production would proberly go up in another system. This would have to be considered as well. Hes a better then average propect imo.

i completely agree.

KingCanadain1976

Jul 8, 2009
Thunder Bay Ont. Can
wow, that's quite a bit of praise you are giving to a guy you want to trade... hmmm i wonder why.... maybe because you are trying to trade a 4th liner for a top 4 2 way defensemen

here, let me tell you all the great qualities Mike Weber has, then i can add in Luke Adam and a pick, and you'll give me Justin Williams right?

seriously...

Pardy for Richardson

The reason i praise him is hes a good player that needs a chance on a team that suits his skills and i want him to get a chance. The kings have alot of talent that needs to play and if they cant play on the kings i want to see them play in the eastern conference so we don t have to play against them. As for trading for justin williams if that pick is a frist come talk to me near the deadline as ill know if i can get iginla frist from calgary Also by then i may know if tofolli can play top 6 mins making williams available .

As for ur Pardy for richardson no id much rather get leopold with suderi becoming a free agent at season end i could see leopold moving up taking his place or making suderi tradeable at the deadline for something we need.

Old Navy Goat

Apr 24, 2003
Pattaya Thailand aka adult Disneyland
The reason i praise him is hes a good player that needs a chance on a team that suits his skills and i want him to get a chance. The kings have alot of talent that needs to play and if they cant play on the kings i want to see them play in the eastern conference so we don t have to play against them. As for trading for justin williams if that pick is a frist come talk to me near the deadline as ill know if i can get iginla frist from calgary Also by then i may know if tofolli can play top 6 mins making williams available .

As for ur Pardy for richardson no id much rather get leopold with suderi becoming a free agent at season end i could see leopold moving up taking his place or making suderi tradeable at the deadline for something we need.

Right now he'd be behind Hodgson, Ennis and Grigorenko on the depth chart and would have to contend with Girgenson next season. He isn't skilled enough to supplant any of the first 3 and Girgenson looks like he's going to be a 3rd line center, while Ennis will probably be moved to wing to make space for Grigorenko in the near future. Loki isn't an upgrade that I'd want to move Leopold for, especially with the premium that defensemen garner at the deadline.

Man of Principles

The Krueger Effect
Nov 30, 2011
It makes sense that a defenseman is on the outs. I think Buffalo already has enough defensemen who can fire shots from the blueline (Ehrhoff, Myers, potentially Brennan), and I don't honestly see a need for Leo anymore since he isn't all that great of a defenseman. I don't know about others, but I'm almost sure Leopold is the one to go given the circumstances. I think Brennan would bring back a nice piece, but I definitely want to see what he can do.

Leopold for Dwight King would be amazing. Now there's a hella effective 4th liner.

Last edited:

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
Kings fan here.

I spend the majority of my time following our prospects and most of our fans don't have the same amount of time/access so base their opinions of our kids on the chances that they have to see them during call ups or camp(s).

We have a couple of NHL ready kids in our system and camp will prove that out. We also have Davis Dreweski (who has been our 7th Dman for the past few years and does a very commendable job) who is more than capable of stepping in until Willie M gets back. He has filled in for WM before and so I can't see us worrying too much about things early on.

Anything can happen and we do have a glut of bottom 6ers who are very capable that I could see us moving for the right piece(s). Stoll isn't likely going anywhere and I can almost promise that it wouldn't be for Leopold if he were unless you guys were adding a ton and that wouldn't make any sense.

We have waived Cliche who is not only NHL ready but is a solid locker room guy with good leadership qualities to boot.

If I were in your guys position though I would be after Bud Holloway. He would have been on our team all of last year but took some bad advice and ended up in the SEL where he ended up the leading scorer and is doing the same again this year. He hits hard, has great hands, can finish and is a very good guy to boot.

He would be the Kings asset that I would target if I needed a bottom 6er and since he is unlikely to play for the Kings could be had for a early mid round pick (3rd/early 4rth) more than likely. We also have Oscar Moller who is playing solid hockey in EU and was a good young player for the Kings while he was in LA.

We have several other players who could fit into your needs. How does signing Hecht impact your need for another bottom 6er?

Thanks for the intelligent and informed input. I don't see LA particularly needing a defenseman either and there's no way they'd give up Stoll for return like Leopold.

Regarding your last question, Hecht alleviates the ABSOLUTE need for a bottom 6 player who can play center. With the team healthy and Grigorenko making it (a big assumption), then the lines look really good to me. A 4th line of Gerbe-Hecht-Kaleta would be strong in both ends and able to be used as a standard checking line as desired, leaving 3 scoring lines (Vanek-Hodgson-Pominville, Foligno-Ennis-Stafford, Leino-Grigorenko-Ott) that are fairly balanced in both senses. These are the lines reported out of camp right now.

If Grigorenko doesn't make it then Hecht is immediately elevated to the 3rd line center spot, which he should be able to handle just fine if healthy. The 4th line then gets centered by Ellis or McCormick (there's also Kevin Porter down in the AHL). In short, the bottom 6 looks weaker and less dynamic offensively due to a big downgrade at 4th line center, but at least the bodies are there. So, to answer your question, I'd have to know what the organization thinks of Grigorenko's chances (which is VERY difficult to pin down, imo) and what they deem acceptable for their bottom 6. If they want to roll four reasonably balanced lines (a la last lockout) then they either need Grigorenko or an additional, solid bottom 6 guy.

If they did trade picks/defensemen for one of the Kings' bottom 6 players, that would give them a 4th extra forward to deal with out of camp. I don't see this situation being evaluated until they feel like they have a good handle on whether they'll keep Grigorenko or not. Gerbe and McCormick possibly starting the season on LITR buys them a bit of time to evaluate.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Pardy for Richardson was what popped into my head when I saw the thread title, I see it's already been brought up. Short-term fix for both teams.

HiddenInLight

Sep 4, 2011
I don't see us trading Leopold to LA. Pardy is probably closer to what we would be looking at. As it stands, I don't see Buffalo trading Leopold for a loss when he could probably net at least a 2nd + near the trade deadline.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad