Waived: [BUF] G Eric Comrie waived by the Sabres (cleared)

Maurice of Orange

Wahatquenak
Feb 5, 2016
This move should have been made sooner, as there no reason Buffalo should be carrying 3 goalies.

Eric Comrie was good a few seasons ago in his 2nd stint with Winnipeg but other then that Comrie hasn’t even shown to be a capable backup in the NHL as his time in Buffalo has been nothing short of disastrous.

Reactions: Nikolajs Sillers

MarkusKetterer

Shoulda got one game in
This move should have been made sooner, as there no reason Buffalo should be carrying 3 goalies.

Eric Comrie was good a few seasons ago in his 2nd stint with Winnipeg but other then that Comrie hasn’t even shown to be a capable backup in the NHL as his time in Buffalo has been nothing short of disastrous.

In fairness, Buffalo has been nothing short of disastrous :(

Reactions: Nikolajs Sillers

Gabe Kupari

Jul 11, 2013
Winter is Coming
Does the brick still exist in America? Only reason keeping Comrie makes sense cuz his dad owns it so maybe buffalo wanted discounts on furniture and electronics

KeyserSoze81

Mar 1, 2007
Rochester, NY
Does the brick still exist in America? Only reason keeping Comrie makes sense cuz his dad owns it so maybe buffalo wanted discounts on furniture and electronics
Not that I know of. As an American who spent my uni years in Canada, I had no idea what The Brick was.

Anyway, Comrie is a better goalie than his stats. Super awesome dude, deserves a chance playing behind some structured play. Buffalo gives up some of the worst scoring chances I have ever seen since I started watching the NHL.

Coulda just sewed two together then we’d only carry two on the roster. Couldn’t be any worse
C’mon, as Buffalo fans, we know only one constant. It can always get worse.

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
Good vibes
They haven’t won back to back games since October. But at least he was there to keep it light!

Which just seems bizarre considering all the high picks including two 1st overall dmen.
Well..one is 20 and they’ve never bothered to get him a top 4 level partner. The other probably leads them in points despite being consistently paired with an anchor the coach can’t figure out.

They have those two guys, yes. Which of the other 4 regulars are you believing are quality hockey players? Because God knows the rookie Johnson who outplays all of them is stuck on the bench, in the box or on the bottom pair.

Larry Hanson

Aug 1, 2020
They have those two guys, yes. Which of the other 4 regulars are you believing are quality hockey players? Because God knows the rookie Johnson who outplays all of them is stuck on the bench, in the box or on the bottom pair.
I never said the others were good players though. It's just bizarre that after sucking for what 10+ years? all those high picks and two young surefire top 4 dmen that they couldn't fill out that defense.

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA
I never said the others were good players though. It's just bizarre that after sucking for what 10+ years? all those high picks and two young surefire top 4 dmen that they couldn't fill out that defense.

The TALENT on our defense really isn't much of a problem. The problem is.....there's no real defensive scheme and no accountability for poor defensive play. Unless you're Ryan Johnson -- in which case, if you make a mistake you get scratched next game.

Dahlin, Power and Samuelsson play every game if healthy. Then the other 3 spots get rotated through 4 players regardless of play level: Jokiharju, E. Johnson, Clifton, R. Johnson. And I say that while acknowledging that Power and Sammy have probably deserved a little time in the press box for defensive blunders.

There's also the case that a lot of our better forwards are seemingly allergic to playing defense. Tage is a good PKer, but awful 5v5 defensively. Same for Tuch. Same for Cozens. Peterka and Skinner don't get PK time and are awful 5v5 defensively. It says a LOT when a team's 2nd best top-9 defensive forward is an 18 year old rookie.

MardyBum

Jul 4, 2012
Winnipeg, Manitoba
The TALENT on our defense really isn't much of a problem. The problem is.....there's no real defensive scheme and no accountability for poor defensive play. Unless you're Ryan Johnson -- in which case, if you make a mistake you get scratched next game.

Dahlin, Power and Samuelsson play every game if healthy. Then the other 3 spots get rotated through 4 players regardless of play level: Jokiharju, E. Johnson, Clifton, R. Johnson. And I say that while acknowledging that Power and Sammy have probably deserved a little time in the press box for defensive blunders.

There's also the case that a lot of our better forwards are seemingly allergic to playing defense. Tage is a good PKer, but awful 5v5 defensively. Same for Tuch. Same for Cozens. Peterka and Skinner don't get PK time and are awful 5v5 defensively. It says a LOT when a team's 2nd best top-9 defensive forward is an 18 year old rookie.

Yeah, fwiw the Jets are trotting out basically the same defense for the last 3 seasons and went from bad defense in 21-22 to solid in 22-23 to top 5 in 23-24 and it all basically boils down to Bowness(a new coach with new systems), new leadership, and the forwards buying into the message from both of those and trying harder on defense.

Everyone assumes a bad defense just means the 6 guys playing D but ignore the F's who don't try or don't know wtf they're doing.

All the guys we used to complain about look a lot better when they don't have to be out of position because a F is in the wrong spot, makes the wrong read, or is just lazy :laugh:.

TheDawnOfANewTage

Dahlin, it’ll all be fine
Dec 17, 2018
lol this team. “What if we get rid of Jost and Comrie? That effectively fixes the logistical problems while doing nothing to actually fix the actual issues. We keep our jobs. Hand me my scotch, I pilot this ship to the end!”

SundherDome

Y'all have to much power
Jul 6, 2009
Minneapolis,MN
lol this team. “What if we get rid of Jost and Comrie? That effectively fixes the logistical problems while doing nothing to actually fix the actual issues. We keep our jobs. Hand me my scotch, I pilot this ship to the end!”
I keep seeing this variants of this take. I don't know or pretend to know Adams workings but I have to imagine trades are incredibly hard to pull off for him as the players we are looking for probably have a NTC/NMC and wouldn't waive to come here. He has to navigate a tough landscape of guys not wanting to be here, negotiating higher prices in FA and in the event he catches his white whale, he has to make sure they can extend said white whale.

His play should be upgrading the assistants to get a d structure and a powerplay that isn't dog shit

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad