Confirmed Trade: [BUF/DAL] Sabres trade D Oskari Laaksonen to Stars for D Joseph Cecconi

SnuggaRUDE

Apr 5, 2013
I can’t wait to see this move highlighted when they do the documentary about the 22/23 Sabres cup run
raw

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
But the GMs were quoted as saying trades were so hard in this league!
It’s a loophole because neither player is in this league.

Laaksonen hasn’t been able to crack the one under it lately either.

Reactions: biturbo19

The Devilish Buffoon

🇵🇸 viva 🇵🇸 free 🇵🇸
Dec 24, 2018
Has anyone outside of these players respective cities ever heard of these guys?

Donmt think I’ve ever seen a trade where I genuinely didn’t know either player.

Well done.
Laaksonen had a bit of hype on him, seemingly not too long ago. Never knew much about him other than seeing him on a few lists, though.

Reactions: GermanSpitfire

Maurice of Orange

Wahatquenak
Feb 5, 2016
Has anyone outside of these players respective cities ever heard of these guys?
Donmt think I’ve ever seen a trade where I genuinely didn’t know either player.
Well done.
As a Flyers fan I knew a little about Laaksonen, he was touted as an offensive defenseman but the defensive side of his game is stagnant.

Buffalo must have soured on Laaksonen as it’s been said that he is too one dimensional which caused his usefulness to Rochester to become somewhat nonexistent this season.

Don’t know anything about Cecconi except that he was briefly on the Stars taxi squad during the covy seasons.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego

While the CCM/USA Hockey All-American Prospects Game will introduce local hockey fans to a number of the top prospects from around the country, it will also be a homecoming for one defenseman.

Joseph Cecconi is the lone skater of the 42 invited to participate who hails from the Western New York region. Growing up in Youngstown, N.Y., Cecconi’s hockey career began on the travel level with a number of teams from around the area, including the Niagara University Jr. Eagles, Wheatfield Blades and Buffalo Regals.

From there, Cecconi joined the Buffalo Jr. Sabres organization for the 2012-13 season, playing 40 games with the U-16 team and four with the U-18 team. After accumulating 10 goals and nine assists in 34 games with the U-16 team the following season, Cecconi left the Jr. Sabres for the USHL’s Muskegon Lumberjacks. (Cecconi was originally drafted by the USHL's Green Bay Gamblers in 2013, but his rights were acquired by Muskegon in a trade last December that saw highly-touted Sabres prospect Connor Hurley sent to Green Bay.)

Homecoming-ish for Cecconi. (insert pajama joke here)

Reactions: SECRET SQUIRREL

Irie

Nov 14, 2010
Pacific Northwest
Laaksonen was actually a 3rd round pick that had some hype as a teenager playing in the Liiga.

Unfortunately he has regressed the past couple of seasons in Rochester.

I am assuming this trade is to primarily change the dynamic of the D on both AHL clubs, a puck mover for a more physical presence, but I admit I know absolutely nothing about Cecconi.

Not sure it will ever have any NHL impact.

Reactions: GermanSpitfire

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Perfect fit for both teams and players. I predicted this trade in the off season reading the tea leaves and determining exactly what both these teams and players needed.

(I lie)

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
WHY? this does nothing for anybody

Not every trade has to be about trade value. Dallas sent Cecconi to his hometown team/org, so I'm sure he appreciates that. He is RFA after the season and Dallas probably wasn't planning on keeping him around.

Also in terms of money, CapFriendly has Cecconi at 175K this season. Meanwhile Laaksonen makes 70K. So Dallas shaves a prorated 105K off of its budget. As much as we like to think owners are bottomless cash dispensers, I'm sure Dallas doesn't mind the saved cash especially for a non-NHL spot.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad