Buckle Up For FYOUP (Five Years of Unprecedented Pain)

Larionov

Feb 9, 2005
Ottawa, ON
We all remember the promised FYOUS, right? Five Years of Unprecedented Success, promised to us by Euge. Well, get ready for FYOUP - Five Years of Unprecedented Pain. Here's why:

While there were undoubtedly some good picks during the vaunted rebuild there were also some bad picks and draft years (hello 2021!) horrendous trades and bad free agent signings. There was no plan as to how to construct the roster, as Dorion just chased one shiny object after another. (Debrincat, Talbot, Tarasenko, Matt Murray, Chychrun) This has ultimately led to:

A) a roster that is tight to the cap without ever having made the playoffs
B) A poorly constructed roster that is soft and unbalanced
C) A roster full of long term contracts that are difficult to move, thus compromising flexibility
D) A weak prospect pool and a lack of draft capital

Gang, this franchise is in deep trouble on the ice. Staios has inherited a flaming bag of dog droppings, and there are no quick fixes. I like our new owner and his management team, but they aren't even starting from scratch like an expansion team. Rather, they now have to get out from under years of bad decisions that have buried us in rubble. There is no reasonable hope that this team will be competitive on the ice anytime soon, and it is just a matter of time until we make our way to first place for the longest playoff drought of any North American pro sports team. If anyone has any reason for hope I would love to hear it, but I see only darkness on the horizon for the next few seasons as we fix the disaster left to us by Melnyk and Dorion.

BoardsofCanada

Aug 26, 2009
G.T.A.
We all remember the promised FYOUS, right? Five Years of Unprecedented Success, promised to us by Euge. Well, get ready for FYOUP - Five Years of Unprecedented Pain. Here's why:

While there were undoubtedly some good picks during the vaunted rebuild there were also some bad picks and draft years (hello 2021!) horrendous trades and bad free agent signings. There was no plan as to how to construct the roster, as Dorion just chased one shiny object after another. (Debrincat, Talbot, Tarasenko, Matt Murray, Chychrun) This has ultimately led to:

C) A roster full of long term contracts that are difficult to move, thus compromising flexibility

Gang, this franchise is in deep trouble on the ice. Staios has inherited a flaming bag of dog droppings, and there are no quick fixes. I like our new owner and his management team, but they aren't even starting from scratch like an expansion team. Rather, they now have to get out from under years of bad decisions that have buried us in rubble. There is no reasonable hope that this team will be competitive on the ice anytime soon, and it is just a matter of time until we make our way to first place for the longest playoff drought of any North American pro sports team. If anyone has any reason for hope I would love to hear it, but I see only darkness on the horizon for the next few seasons as we fix the disaster left to us by Melnyk and Dorion.
This is a tad overly dramatic. We have one of the youngest teams in the league with great potential for the future. They have all under performed miserably this year. Chabot and Norris are the most guilty of not living up to their huge contracts. Everyone else is paid fairly, more or less. Giroux and Tank will be coming off the books soon and Pinto and Grieg will move in to take their spots.

Our prospect pool is bad but if we can add a top three pick to our core, I'd argue we are right back in the mix.

The blueline needs to get tougher. and our goaltending remains a weakness. But I still belive in the future of this team. Some changes and additions need to happen but I don't see the mountain of rubble or darkness on the horizon that you see.

Reactions: swiftwin

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
The Vancouver Canucks finished 3 points below the Senators last season, and many of your statements could have been used against the Canucks dismal future outlook, as you’ve done for the Senators…..

The Canucks made a coaching change, and moved out a core player, and now they’re one point behind the first Team overall (as of today)

so no, not five years of whatever catch phrase you’re trying to coin….

thinkwild

Veni Vidi Toga
Jul 29, 2003
Ottawa
Yeah i cant be so bleak about the future either. It was clearly an F.You's from Melnyk to fans. As he said in the between two ferns interview, he expected maybe 16 new players on the team next year and fans would love watching young players develop as he went through 5 years of unparalleled debt repayment probably required by the syndicate that last lent him money.

They wouldnt even admit we were rebuilding. Remember how they lied about keeping Karlsson and Stone and even after they left wouldnt admit they were rebuilding for a year in some Melnyk foolishness that he thought would trick fans into still buying tickets. And then Dorion tried to rush complete the job because the players asked him to and he thought it was good. And that strategy hopefully is now a case study in failure for all owners going forward.

But still, too many good pieces to work with. Jacques' comment about they havent won anything yet if they are pouting after losing DJ feels like the same shot across the bow as his comment to Spezza about a boy in a mans game. And now all that unwarranted swagger and confidence they had to start the season has been shaken. And they are back in basic training having to remold themselves from scratch. And they arent even getting practices to do it yet.

Way too much talent for despair. Way too many options for good moves going forward. Like the old 6 million dollar man - we can rebuild them.

Reactions: bert

bashbros32

Jan 12, 2014
Brockville, Ontario
Pinto and Grieg will move in to take their spots.

I haven't read the rest of the thread yet but I just wanted to say that imo, if Greig and Pinto are in your top 6? Your team isn't likely a contender... they are great fill-in guys, and PERFECT 3rd liners from what I see.

Edit:

The way I see it:

Tkachuk - Stutzle - XXX
XXX - Norris - Batherson
Greig - Pinto - Joseph
Smejkal - XXX - Kelly (if his play since Jacques took over continues)

Chabot/Chychrun - XXX
Sanderson - Zub
Kleven - XXX

I see us moving on from one of Chabot or Chychrun, and I honestly think that Chychrun may end up the one that stays, he will most likely be cheaper due to the home-town thing... and that matters a lot to us now, we cannot have 20+ mill locked in on LHD, and right now we have 22,650,000.

That is a hair under 26% of next years cap spent on LHD, if we keep all 4.

Last edited:

Back in Black

All Sports would be great if they were Hockey
Jan 30, 2012
In the Penalty Box
1704650661909.png

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada

This is all legitimate points but it could still go in all directions. If Staios start making "the right moves", we could still find a lot of success. The problem is that the DJ Dorion situation has dragged on for way too long and has done a lot of damage. Staios needs to save this rebuild.

branch

#GirlBoss #Vibes
Jan 12, 2008
So may excuses being made. Loser talk. This team was victimized for too long by a very very stupid man. It’s going to take years do undo the damage that Pierre Dorion has done

Reactions: Alex1234

Agent Zub

Jan 2, 2015
So may excuses being made. Loser talk. This team was victimized for too long by a very very stupid man. It’s going to take years do undo the damage that Pierre Dorion has done

Blaming it all on Dorion and DJ is loser talk too though.

The players themselves are the ones who play the game and they have been lacking in things that have nothing to do with Dorion or DJ.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site

I agree and disagree with this. Yes they have inherited a situation that is less than ideal but as soon as next year they get some flexibility. They do need to start building up the draft capital. I dont think any of the contracts are all that bad outside of Hamonic who only has 1 more year and the albatross that is Korpisalo's deal. Thats the really bad one.

The culture change is going to take some time but its already going in the right direction. They just need to keep building and do a deep meticulous autopsy of the current roster. There are great building blocks and players that arent in their prime yet or are just entering it. We will see how this current management identifies who should be in the long term plans and who shouldnt.

The players on expiring contracts should all be moved this year for any futures this team can get. Then they beg for forgiveness from the league and hope they downgrade the pick they are taking away from a 1st to something else. I still think its incredibly unfair to penalize this ownership/management group and franchise by moves that were made years ago under a regime that is no longer in the league.

To me the only real big decision they have to make in the immediate future is who they are going to keep Chychurn or Chabot. It cant be both there isnt room.

I like this core to build around.

Tkachuk, Stutzle, Greig, Pinto, Norris, Batherson, Joseph, Sanderson, Zub, and one of Chychrun/Chabot. Maybe Formenton if nothing comes to fruition with the hockey Canada situation.

Reactions: Carl Karlsson

branch

#GirlBoss #Vibes
Jan 12, 2008

The players themselves are the ones who play the game and they have been lacking in things that have nothing to do with Dorion or DJ.
Dorion was the architect of this team. It started and stopped with him. He was and is the man directly responsible for putting this team together and putting us into deep irrevocable shit. He should have been fired after the Zibanejad trade but we were owned by a crazy person

JD1

Sep 12, 2005

Holy crap. A Zub post that I completely agree with.

If we can get out from Chabot's contract without retention/ a crappy contract coming back, we are ok.

Cap's going up. We don't have any huge money deals.

What we need is 3 or 4 middle tier, hard to play against pros. One D. 2 Fs. Plus health

Beech

Cicc' a porta
Nov 25, 2020
2015 draft: Thomas Chabot is the only guy.. overpaid, underperforming
2016 draft: Nothing
2017 draft; Batherson..Chabot but at forward
2018 draft: Brady, a heart and soul.. does not believe in playing in his own end
2019 draft: Pinto, we have no idea.. he has played so little, we are inflating his worth based on hope
2020; home run
2021; nothing

So a rebuild, with 7 years being toilette to near toilette years (Yes, the 2017 ECF.. can someone write a song or carve a statue so that we can always commemorate it... too bad; Where Poppies Blow is taken), has produced so little.

Sadly Larionov may be very accurate.

Thank you Pierre, Thank you Eugene for hiring Pierre. and for hiring Murray before him.. And thank you for the 2007/2008 season and outwards.

Reactions: bicboi64 and ColinM

Alex1234

Oct 14, 2014
Soft, weak roster
When the going gets tough they dont dig deeper they break
The mix of players is bad

• Love
Reactions: robsenz

LudwigVonKarlsson

Fall of Pierre
Oct 17, 2013
Ottawa, ON

Doesn't help that we lost Pinto for half a season and Formenton for non-hockey reasons. This team has no bottom 6 and 5m+ in buyouts, and retained salaries They will be fine once they are allowed to use their money on guys that are here.

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
We have seen examples of team doing a quick turnaround with the same nucleus. Vancouver. Philly. Winnipeg. Colorado was a lottery team with Rantanen, McKinnon , Landeskog. And they drafted Makar. Jersey got lucky with lotteries, but they stuck with it.

Let's not throw the baby out with the bath water

Reactions: Micklebot and Beech

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad