Speculation: Buchy trade

Does Buchy get traded?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Linkens Mastery

Conductor of the TankTown Express
Jan 15, 2014
Hyrule
It's a very iffy subject. If the Blues front office expect to be a contender within 3 years I think they resign him. But, if they don't think we will be a contender in the next 3 years he will be traded.

I personally think we are nowhere close to being on the cusp of being a contender within the next few years and they should (and will) trade him. He is far and away our best trade piece.

Reactions: GoldenSeal and mk80

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida
I can see any of these scenarios being the right answer. Army is not afraid to trade a player if he doesn't feel he can sign him for what he is worth. But he also isn't afraid to hold on if he feels we are a contender. So it all depends on how good we are next off season. I do not see him traded this year before we can open extension talks. As for whether he should be traded, it 100% depends on what he wants for his next contract, and what offers are on the table. I've said before, the only wrong answer is letting him walk for nothing. Trading him or signing him both have merits.

So I am completely punting the question lol But for the poll, I'll go with we should trade him and he will walk in UFA. I am assuming he will want more than Armstrong is comfortable giving. Armstrong will hold him until next year hoping to talk him down. Then we'll be in the playoff hunt and he'll be "our rental was keeping Buchy".

Reactions: Ted Hoffman

Ted Hoffman

The other Rick Zombo
Dec 15, 2002
I'm leaning toward the "should be traded, leaves as UFA" option for now. But it's anyone's guess on January 2, 2024; tell me where we stand in about 13 months [presuming we haven't signed him to an extension this upcoming offseason], I'll have a better guess on what I think happens with him.

OT rant: I hate the "he's an own-rental" thing. f***ing hate it. I don't know when that started, but it needs to die the same grisly death as "cash on the sidelines" when talking about the stock market. "I have a car, and I was going to sell it but decided I'd just rent it to myself instead; it's an own-rental." No, it's not a goddamn own-rental; you kept your car and you're not getting anything extra for doing so, and you giving yourself $500, $1000, $35,000 a month to rent the vehicle from yourself doesn't give you even the first extra penny.

STL fan in MN

Aug 16, 2007
Can't answer this. It really depends on whether Buchnevich wants to stay here or not.
Yep. Does he want to stay? If so, at what AAV and term?

If it’s reasonable, they should re-sign him. If he’s not willing to re-sign here or demands more than he’s worth or longer term that what makes sense from a risk perspective, then trade him.

Easy to say but that’s the big unknown - Buchy’s thoughts on all this.

Xerloris

reckless optimism
Jun 9, 2015
St.Louis
I think he would be our best chance to get a #1 LD so it would IMO be in our best interest to do so.

Reality Czech

Apr 17, 2017
Can't answer this. It really depends on whether Buchnevich wants to stay here or not.

That's what I've said all along. If he likes being here and wants to be a core part of the team going forward, you try to re-sign him. If he says thanks for the memories but I wanna test the market, then you trade him. It's as simple as that.

DatDude44

Hmmmm?
Feb 23, 2012
If we can get a prospect like Lian Bichsel or a draft pick that allows us to pick a legit Bluechip D...then i'm in...if not, don't see the point of moving him

Reactions: BlueOil and Robb_K

Mar 6, 2012
He's one of my favs, but I really think it's better for the team to stop pretending like they are competitive now and start planning for 3-5 years out... which sadly means that a player like Buch has more value as a trade piece. He's wasted here on this current roster.

He's also comically underpaid and I'm willing to bet he's going to be looking to make some serious cash ( and he should be) so I don't see what his motivation to stay will be since surely he will be able to get a lot more money on the open market.

I feel like he is one of the most under-the-radar / underrated players in the entire league. If he was on a media darling team he would be a well-known star. He plays like one.

Frenzy31

May 21, 2003
I don't think Armstrong feels we are a contender right now. Playoff team, yes, but not contender. So I do think Armstrong will move him at the next deadline, unless he is willing to sign to a reasonable deal.

Brian39

Apr 24, 2014
Boring/lame answer, but I would vote "it depends" over any of these options.

Unless we get something on par with a Timo Meier return for him, I would say that he shouldn't be traded this season. I don't think we will get that return for him, so my answer to the question right now would be "shouldn't be traded and won't be traded."

But that math can very much change over the summer. How much does he want on an extension (dollars and term)? Where are we picking in the draft? Is one (or more) D men moved over the next 6 months? Is one (or more) NHL D men acquired over the next 6 months? What type of 2024 draft capital are we able to add independent of a Buch trade? On draft day, do we use that capital to make a bunch of picks and add to an already really good prospect pool? Or do we package some non-untouchable futures to acquire a top pair D while clearing some salary in a ROR/Schenn-style deal?

The remainder of this season can take the retool/rebuild in a few different directions. There is no rush to move Buch and unless there is a deadline offer that is a true overpay, I'd prefer to take a slight loss in overall return by waiting until the draft/summer in order to gain knowledge of where the plan is headed.

Reactions: Reality Czech

kreele

Oct 12, 2017
I don’t think he should be traded. He is a great 2 way player who the younger players can learn from. It will all depend on if he wants to stay though. I don’t think another long term contact should be done by DA. But again I’m not a fan of long term contracts.

Robb_K

Apr 26, 2007
NordHolandNethrlands
Younger players need some atmosphere of stability and confidence to play in. Decent quality veterans are part of that. I think he should stay if he's willing to play for a fair price and wants to stay. If he's desirous of taking an overpayment from a desperate team, don't match that just to keep him. I hope he stays at a fair price, or a team desperate to pry him away from us at an overpayment trade offers us a deal we can't refuse that gets us a #1 D prospect and a 1st Rounder.

LogosBlue

May 16, 2018
I like Buchy but he will be traded as soon as his return threshold meets DA's requirements and teams will be asking for him.

2018-19 Cup Champs!
Mar 22, 2012
I think he should be traded. Love him, but he’s probably not going to be a top line player for the next truly competitive Blues teams. This is a great opportunity to get a big return and boost the prospect cupboard quite a bit. A top 4 D prospect has to be the initial ask along with a highish pick depending on the quality of the D prospect.

Ted Hoffman

The other Rick Zombo
Dec 15, 2002
Yep. Does he want to stay? If so, at what AAV and term?

If it’s reasonable, they should re-sign him. If he’s not willing to re-sign here or demands more than he’s worth or longer term that what makes sense from a risk perspective, then trade him.

Easy to say but that’s the big unknown - Buchy’s thoughts on all this.
No, but yes. But ... no. If we're in a seller's spot next year, we're probably pointing at a ... whatever comes after retool and refocus, but still isn't a rebuild. And at that point, plowing term and dollars into Buchnevich instead of selling him to the highest bidder would be managerial malpractice.

Yeah, I know - we can keep him and accelerate the whatever with him. Cool. If he wants to come back and be part of that, let him do it in the offseason. If we're sellers, he's going to be one hell of a prize for some team; get everything you possibly can in that, bring him back as a UFA and then drop years and bucks because it's probably going to be the same cost either way, and I don't think we want to be dropping an 8th year on him.

Frenzy31

May 21, 2003
No, but yes. But ... no. If we're in a seller's spot next year, we're probably pointing at a ... whatever comes after retool and refocus, but still isn't a rebuild. And at that point, plowing term and dollars into Buchnevich instead of selling him to the highest bidder would be managerial malpractice.

Yeah, I know - we can keep him and accelerate the whatever with him. Cool. If he wants to come back and be part of that, let him do it in the offseason. If we're sellers, he's going to be one hell of a prize for some team; get everything you possibly can in that, bring him back as a UFA and then drop years and bucks because it's probably going to be the same cost either way, and I don't think we want to be dropping an 8th year on him.

He will be 30 at the start of the contract..... Yeah, no 8 year deal.

Wondercarrot

By The Power of Canadian Tire Centre
Jul 2, 2002
How would you guys feel about a Chychrun for Buchnevich deal?
He’s the #1 LD it seems you guys are looking for, hes 25 so fits your next window etc.
he’s got the same term as Buch and currently makes $4.6

We have to choose between Chabot and Chychrun (since Sanderson is also a LD), and the Sens are looking for a 200ft player like PB.

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
How would you guys feel about a Chychrun for Buchnevich deal?
He’s the #1 LD it seems you guys are looking for, hes 25 so fits your next window etc.
he’s got the same term as Buch and currently makes $4.6

We have to choose between Chabot and Chychrun (since Sanderson is also a LD), and the Sens are looking for a 200ft player like PB.
Pass. Not a fan of Chycrun. Certainly not for Buchy. Would be interested in Sanderson though. What is ask on him?

Reactions: ScratchCatFever

Wondercarrot

By The Power of Canadian Tire Centre
Jul 2, 2002
Pass. Not a fan of Chycrun. Certainly not for Buchy. Would be interested in Sanderson though. What is ask on him?

There is no ask, there is absolutely zero chance we’d trade him.

I am curious what it is you don’t like about Chychrun? Good defensively, good offensively, good size, moves well, and is only 25 still on a steal of deal. He may not be an high end #1 but he’s certainly a top pairing dman.
Our issue is that it’s him or Chabot.

Reactions: Ted Hoffman

Celtic Note

Living the dream
Dec 22, 2006
There is no ask, there is absolutely zero chance we’d trade him.

I am curious what it is you don’t like about Chychrun? Good defensively, good offensively, good size, moves well, and is only 25 still on a steal of deal. He may not be an high end #1 but he’s certainly a top pairing dman.
Our issue is that it’s him or Chabot.
Will he stay on the half price contract after this one since he only plays half a season? A bit younger in cheek there, but that is the big problem with him. He is always injured.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad