Waived: Bryan Allen (cleared)

Richiebottles

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Jul 26, 2010
Yet another common sense good move by Bergevin.

I just love the competence.

He really hasn't done any "What were you thinking" moves.

At the end of last season I couldn't stand to see Bourque,Moen,Gorges and Gionta on this team oh and DD playing 1rst line C.

6 Months later all these problems are resolved.

habsfanatics*

May 20, 2012
I know it doesn't seem like it at this moment and I really hope it doesn't happen, I'm really starting to think that one of Tinordi or Beaulieu will be traded. We can't afford to keep Tinordi down until he's 24.

Markov - Subban
Emelin - Gilbert
Beaulieu - Gonchar

ex Weaver

Why? Does he turn into a pumpkin?

Richiebottles

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Jul 26, 2010
I know it doesn't seem like it at this moment and I really hope it doesn't happen, I'm really starting to think that one of Tinordi or Beaulieu will be traded. We can't afford to keep Tinordi down until he's 24.

Markov - Subban
Emelin - Gilbert
Beaulieu - Gonchar

ex Weaver

Well considering that the peak of a D-man career is like 28 yea he can stay down till he is.

Thing is, Tinner needs to play big minutes and work on his footspeed and his hockey IQ. These things are better learned logging big minutes in Hamilton then 6 minutes a game on a bottom pairing.

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
Exactly. And that's why I wrote earlier that I can't see Bergevin re-sign a Gonchar at 41 years old and lose Tinordi. Unless he would prefer to get rid of Gilbert, somehow.

If Gonchar can play another year as he's playing now, keep him and do not re-sign Weaver.

Markov-Subban
Beaulieu - Emelin
Tinordi -Gilbert
Gonchar - Pateryn or Nygren

If not, either sign some depth 6-7 D or keep both Nygren and Pateryn as extra.

Phil Parent

Sorel, 'fant d'chienne!
Feb 4, 2005
Sorel-Tracy, Quebec
Martin Maguire pointed out that the Habs were going to save a few bucks with this move, and hinted they may use that money in a trade.

Big money players aren't always good, but Bergevin went for Vanek last year so the precedent is there. As long as we don't lose somebody on the current team...

kernkraft

Jul 8, 2006
Kanata
Martin Maguire pointed out that the Habs were going to save a few bucks with this move, and hinted they may use that money in a trade.

Big money players aren't always good, but Bergevin went for Vanek last year so the precedent is there. As long as we don't lose somebody on the current team...

How do they save money? His cap hit won't change by being in the minors. Unless there's some kind of loophole here.

Paddyjack

Dec 10, 2007
Sherbrooke
If Gonchar can play another year as he's playing now, keep him and do not re-sign Weaver.

Maybe he shouldn't regardless. Pretty sure you switch Gonchar name for Weaver at the beginning of that sentence and you have the exact same feeling that was generally expressed last year regarding Weaver. And look where he is now :)

OldCraig71

Juice Arse
Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
Bergevin himself said that this roster was full of young leadership and they have given great roles to young players. I applaud placing Allen on waivers because he was just not a fit here. Too slow, Murray v2, and hopefully it means that Bealieau(young Chelios) is here to stay.

I don't really see any dead weight on the team any more, DD is playing well on the wing in a lesser role and Bournival ,Eller and Sekac's performance on the third line was a thing of beauty. Any player with those two looks good.

Chucky is gaining more confidence and will only get better as a number 1 C. I also feel like we are a very strong defensive team from top to bottom, our transition game is a thing of beauty. It is definitely the best team we have had in years. Amazing commitment from top to bottom and it's nice to watch.

Richiebottles

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Jul 26, 2010
They save something like 975K from is cap hit by being in the minor, can't remember the exact rule but it sometime something to do with the minimum contract + a certain amount.

Simpler then that.

I think AHL salary is around 50 K and NHL salary is whatever they pay him in the NHL.

TheNyclaus

Jan 5, 2015
youWish
Can someone explain to me why a 3.5M salary results to only 900k on team cap hit when such player is waivered? Links pls.

kgboomer

Nov 12, 2014
Can someone explain to me why a 3.5M salary results to only 900k on team cap hit when such player is waivered? Links pls.

It doesn't. He's going to count for 3.5M - 925K = 2.575. And it the Habs recalled Tangradi at 675K to replace him for example, they will save $250,000 pro-rated. That's it. Guys injured like Parenteau still count on the cap.

Too bad capgeek is gone, it was all explained so very well. Wish the dude the very best on the health issue he's dealing with.

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
Nice to see a GM make room for a young kid who forces his hand. Beaulieu still has to continue proving himself. Gonchar is really making a difference with him.

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa
Excellent. Beaulieu deserves the full-time NHL roster spot. His play in this stint compared to earlier is night and day.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad