Confirmed with Link: Brunner hits the open market, signs with Devils

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Just a guess, but I think it's more than that. The guy came in as a rookie, led the team in scoring only to get demoted, then benched and questioned in the media. It's not beyond the pale that that entire experience soured him.

He's a professional athlete. He's going to get questioned by the media when he struggles in any market he plays in.

Hckytwn

Don't do it Kenny...
Jul 9, 2010
Seattle, WA
he went on a pretty major slump for a while

if anything the Wings waited longer than they should have to demote him

Yeah, I'm not saying the Wings were wrong, just saying the whole thing could've soured the relationship. Remember, he was a rookie to this league coming from a league where he was a star and players view benchings/demotions as a pretty big insult. Just a possibility... he didn't actually say anything, as you would expect.

Hckytwn

Don't do it Kenny...
Jul 9, 2010
Seattle, WA
He's a professional athlete. He's going to get questioned by the media when he struggles in any market he plays in.

Well, from his standpoint, he probably wondered why he, as a rookie, getting paid as a rookie, is considered "struggling" when he's leading the team in goal scoring. He's probably wondering why others in that locker room who are getting paid to score goals, who are not rookies, aren't getting benched and demoted for "struggling".

He's new to the league, new to this country. It's easy to see him not understanding it all or being able to deal with it. It's not beyond belief that this would lead to some bad feelings. Look at Grabo--he had some hard words and a lot of pent up emotion--and he wasn't a rookie and was getting paid to be a team leader.

Last edited:

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Well, from his standpoint, he probably wondered why he, as a rookie, getting paid as a rookie, is considered "struggling" when he's leading the team in goal scoring. He's probably wondering why others in that locker room who are getting paid to score goals, who are not rookies, aren't getting benched and demoted for "struggling".

He's new to the league, new to this country. Like I said, it's not beyond belief that this would lead to some bad feelings.

You're talking about demotions? He started his career on line 1 with Datsyuk and Zetterberg. Really?

He started his career playing on a line with Datsyuk and Zetterberg having to play 0 games in the AHL. Guys like Tatar have busted their hump for years and haven't been given a chance anything close to that. Not even for a shift.

Brunner had that for over 10 games and then struggled to find the back of the net. Totally justifiable in criticizing that IMO. We gave him tons of opportunities to succeed, even when he was on the 3rd line he had Nyquist and Andersson who are also rookies. That's typically more where Detroit plays rookies.

Hckytwn

Don't do it Kenny...
Jul 9, 2010
Seattle, WA
You're talking about demotions? He started his career on line 1 with Datsyuk and Zetterberg. Really?

He started his career playing on a line with Datsyuk and Zetterberg having to play 0 games in the AHL. Guys like Tatar have busted their hump for years and haven't been given a chance anything close to that. Not even for a shift.

Brunner had that for over 10 games and then struggled to find the back of the net. Totally justifiable in criticizing that IMO. We gave him tons of opportunities to succeed, even when he was on the 3rd line he had Nyquist and Andersson who are also rookies. That's typically more where Detroit plays rookies.

You're defending the Wing's choices--which I don't have a problem with. You're right. What I am saying is that Brunner might not have had the same viewpoint. He might view himself as a top-3 player. He might think the slump wasn't that big of a deal.

All I'm saying there might be other reasons outside of money that he's looking "for the right fit". He didn't have solely good experiences here in Detroit.

YostisHome

Wet Bandits
May 7, 2010
Well Nose... though your time was short, loved your attitude and you were fun to watch most nights. Go get paid now young fella.

Flowah

Nov 30, 2009
Its not looking like he's such a commodity at this point.

We still have caproom to sign him if he wants to come back for 2.5-3

Z-D-Alf
Mule-Weiss-Nyquist
Brunner-Helm-Tatar
Miller-Andersson-Eaves/Abby

I think he's better on the third line anyway. Better matchups and reduced workload for a guy who's not used to it.

Adityase

Mar 27, 2002
Troy, MI
Visit site
I think this is a possibility. If it happens Holland's a shrewd guy for letting him see that this was the best option. If he walks then good on Holland for not being bullied.

I'm glad we had Brunner, but there's no way this team should pay him more than 3 per. Especially since it's clear he's better on the 3rd line anyway...

RedWingsNow*

I think this is a possibility. If it happens Holland's a shrewd guy for letting him see that this was the best option. If he walks then good on Holland for not being bullied.

I'm glad we had Brunner, but there's no way this team should pay him more than 3 per. Especially since it's clear he's better on the 3rd line anyway...

Nothing is clear about Brunner's game. He was a rookie.
I'd rather have Brunner than Alfredsson. But I don't see how this team can have both, along with the rest of the soft squad we have

Amyklas

Jul 3, 2013
Nothing is clear about Brunner's game. He was a rookie.
I'd rather have Brunner than Alfredsson. But I don't see how this team can have both, along with the rest of the soft squad we have

right, take someone unproven over someone who is proven and has drive to win the Cup. Nevermind that paying Brunner (for what, exactly?) would handicap the team next season when FA is going to be much deeper

ScottyBowman

Mar 10, 2003
Detroit
Visit site
Maybe I was not paying attention but to me Brunner was very soft and 1 dimensional. If he didn't score, he was useless. In the playoffs, he would NEVER go into the corner for a puck. He was so frustrating to watch against Chicago. This whole notion of $3 mil per year is undeserved. Its not like Brunner is some hotshot play maker or some physical presence. He's a guy that got on a hot streak at the beginning of the year because he was a new player and the league didn't know how to play him and he was actually playing hockey while a lot of the NHL players were at home watching TV so he had the advantage. As soon as the league scouted him and the players finally got in shape, he looked like a fish out of water.

RedWingsNow*

right, take someone unproven over someone who is proven and has drive to win the Cup. Nevermind that paying Brunner (for what, exactly?) would handicap the team next season when FA is going to be much deeper

Drive to win the cup?
Alfredsson was the guy who said, last year, "We can't beat the Penguins."

Not exactly the kind of "drive to win the cup" I'm looking for.

Brunner was supposedly asking for $2.5M before free agency. That seems pretty fair for a 27 year old who just posted a 24 goal pace season and also did fairly well in the playoffs.

How would a $2.5M contract handcuff us? Hell, if Alfredsson meets his bonus goals, we're going to paying him $2M next year for nothing.
Talk about handcuffing you.

Syckle78

Nov 5, 2011
Redford, MI
Maybe I was not paying attention but to me Brunner was very soft and 1 dimensional. If he didn't score, he was useless. In the playoffs, he would NEVER go into the corner for a puck. He was so frustrating to watch against Chicago. This whole notion of $3 mil per year is undeserved. Its not like Brunner is some hotshot play maker or some physical presence. He's a guy that got on a hot streak at the beginning of the year because he was a new player and the league didn't know how to play him and he was actually playing hockey while a lot of the NHL players were at home watching TV so he had the advantage. As soon as the league scouted him and the players finally got in shape, he looked like a fish out of water.

He was third in goals in the regular season and first in the playoffs. Not every damn player has to very a multiple dimensional giant bad ass that eats people's souls. This team needed more shooters and we let one walk away for cheap. Having him around would give us three legitimate scoring lines and force Abby to the forth line. Losing him is a mistake.

Amyklas

Jul 3, 2013
Drive to win the cup?

Brunner was supposedly asking for $2.5M before free agency. That seems pretty fair for a 27 year old who just posted a 24 goal pace season and also did fairly well in the playoffs.

How would a $2.5M contract handcuff us? Hell, if Alfredsson meets his bonus goals, we're going to paying him $2M next year for nothing.

24 goal pace, in a shortened season (his only one) where he disappeared for half of it. Alfie wasn't wrong in his statement, even if it was taken out of context to be used for your convenience. His play demolishes your attempt to prove otherwise.

As for Brunner handcuffing, it wouldn't be a 1 year deal, obviously. But I'm sure you knew that and were just making a straw man argument.

Heaton

Feb 13, 2004
Auburn Hills
Drive to win the cup?

If Brunner wanted 2.5m, he would've already signed somewhere.

Amyklas

Jul 3, 2013
He was third in goals in the regular season and first in the playoffs. Not every damn player has to very a multiple dimensional giant bad ass that eats people's souls. This team needed more shooters and we let one walk away for cheap. Having him around would give us three legitimate scoring lines and force Abby to the forth line. Losing him is a mistake.

and yet he somehow just wasn't worth $2.5 - 3 million per year for 4+ years. Don't know about you, but there were an awful lot of times last year where Brunner passed up a shot, only to force himself into the corner with nowhere to go or throw an ill-advised pass into the middle that didn't result in anything but another missed chance.

Living off a stat line isn't the way to evaluate people

RedWingsNow*

If Brunner wanted 2.5m, he would've already signed somewhere.

I've heard one figure -- that he wanted $2.5M and the Wings didn't want to pay him that much.

Until I see what he signs for... I'm staying with with that.

SportsballChic

Jun 18, 2013
Toronto
I think those figures were in the same article as Cleary, I think they offered him 2.5m in a contract, same with offering Cleary 3x3.

And there were multiple articles that suggested or even outright said "Brunner wants to test the open market".

Holland himself said he'd go out, get and offer an come back to him.

Just, dunno: can't say anything nice here, so won't.

But yeah, was made clear Brunner wanted to find out what market would pay.

Heaton

Feb 13, 2004
Auburn Hills
And there were multiple articles that suggested or even outright said "Brunner wants to test the open market".

I deleted the post after re-reading the article, that was the speculation of what he wanted.

RedWingsNow*

24 goal pace, in a shortened season (his only one) where he disappeared for half of it. Alfie wasn't wrong in his statement, even if it was taken out of context to be used for your convenience. His play demolishes your attempt to prove otherwise.

As for Brunner handcuffing, it wouldn't be a 1 year deal, obviously. But I'm sure you knew that and were just making a straw man argument.

I'm not big on internet debate club language about strawmen.

I mean what I say when I say this: A $2.5M deal, whether it's 1, 2, 3, or 4 years, in no way, shape or form handcuffs Kenny Holland.

Even if he turned out to suck, how big is $2.5M?

We're paying Alfredsson that much in 2014-15 for nothing, right?

Amyklas

Jul 3, 2013
I'm not big on internet debate club language about strawmen.

I mean what I say when I say this: A $2.5M deal, whether it's 1, 2, 3, or 4 years, in no way, shape or form handcuffs Kenny Holland.

Even if he turned out to suck, how big is $2.5M?

We're paying Alfredsson that much in 2014-15 for nothing, right?

Are you trying to take a jab at me because you don't understand a common phrase?

You honestly think 1 yr @ $2.5 million was a possibility? Brunner wants more term, and I doubt it's at only $2.5 million. As for the Alfie comment, it will only happen 1) if he performs well enough, making him worth it, and 2) if Holland defers the salary

probertrules24

Jul 10, 2007
Canada
I have a feeling Brunner is gone after signing both guys today. It's to bad because the experiment on a one year deal worked and now we may lose him. Alfy's a right handed shot who can play the point so that may work against him returning. The money is there with the right moves but I'm not sure if the Wings made their offer and are drawing their line in the sand. They seem to really take a hard line in negotiating sometimes.

It's to bad. I know we have guys coming up to try and replace him but it would of been nice to see a third line of Nyquist Helm Brunner. That speed, playmaking and shot could of dominated bottom sixes all over the league.

I guess until he signs I will still hold out hope.

RedWingsNow*

Every article I see has the number of $2.5M next to Brunner's name.
Is it made up?
Maybe.

http://www.freep.com/article/201307...oit-red-wings-free-agency-lecavalier-clarkson

while Brunner is seeking in the $2.5 million range.

There is also an article that said Brunner Wants a Long Term Deal In Detroit.
To me, a long term deal -- 5 years at $2.5? That's a potential gold mine deal for Detroit.

There's very little downside to a deal like that.
If he never develops into more than a one-dimensional player -- a faster, right handed Hudler ... that's still worth $2.5M every day of the week.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad