Confirmed with Link: Brunner hits the open market, signs with Devils

RedWingsForPresident

Nov 20, 2012
Indiana
No idea, training camps don't start for a little while so he could be spending the summer back home. I think it's funny people viewed Brunner as a vital piece of the DRW. His minutes and production diminished as the season went on, the Wings passed on his demands and so has the rest of the league.

I wish him well but it just goes to show he's not the hot commodity some thought.

26 points in 44 games in your first NHL season is not bad. I mean, this is a rookie we're talking about here. He's a natural goal scorer and they all go through slumps and streaks like he did. I really wish we could've re-signed him. I think he has the potential to put up 30-40 goals a season in this league. Maybe he just doesn't really enjoy it in the NHL

billybear

Apr 27, 2013
is it too late to get a contract now or is that normal that at this point he still doesn't have a contract? what do you think?

Fugu

RIP Barb
Nov 26, 2004
϶(°o°)ϵ
is it too late to get a contract now or is that normal that at this point he still doesn't have a contract? what do you think?

It's not too late. Teams can sign players even after the season starts, can't remember if it's the end of the calendar year or sometime before the Trade Deadline that's the final cutoff for signings, but that's not so important here.

It's probably more an issue of cap space and roster size limits for most teams, plus if injuries start rolling in, some teams may sign additional players at that point. It may be that his asking price is too high, assuming there are suitors.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Just wait for the training camps to start.

Some "Iginla" or "Vanek" blows his knee on the 1st day, and Brunner gets signed immediately.

SoupNazi

Serenity now. Insanity later.
Feb 6, 2010

He'll probably get a contract during training camp, when he realizes he's not getting the kind of salary he wanted this summer.

Dekemeister

Sep 12, 2010
I'm surprised someone like the Flames, Panthers, Islanders, etc didn't overpay him to allow him to walk into a top 6 role

He looked good for stretches during the regular season and in the playoffs. I know he wants a scoring role and there are plenty of markets that needs someone. Something else must be going on

sarcastro

Jul 28, 2005
I'm surprised someone like the Flames, Panthers, Islanders, etc didn't overpay him to allow him to walk into a top 6 role

He looked good for stretches during the regular season and in the playoffs. I know he wants a scoring role and there are plenty of markets that needs someone. Something else must be going on

The teams that can afford him are all cap-strapped, and the teams that have a top 6 spot for him are all broke. That's the conundrum.

I think someone like Vancouver might come up with the scratch to sign him short-term. Either that or the Leafs will pick him up while Kadri sits out, if they're not willing to meet Kadri's demands.

crashman

I still think he's headed back to Switzerland. I doubt that he's cut out for a 82 game season in the NHL.

RedWingsNow*

Flames and Panthers have enough guys of Brunner's caliber.
What's going on is that teams are at budget or at cap.

RedWingsNow*

I still think he's headed back to Switzerland. I doubt that he's cut out for a 82 game season in the NHL.

Well considering his production from line 3 in the playoffs -- after 33 Swiss games, 44NHL games, and 6 other games (plus, perhaps, Swiss pre-season games), I'd say Brunner handled the schedule well enough.

Yeah, he went 16 games without a goal.

During that same time period, Henrik Zetterberg scored 2 goals in 20 games.

Here's an astonishing number. Zetterberg scored FOUR GOALS in 38 games between the Feb. 1 hat trick and season-ending two goal game.

SoupNazi

Feb 6, 2010

I agree. Frankly, Brunner would have been a nice piece to have. But until he proves he can produce at a consistent level over an 82 game season, he's not worth $3 million.

Heaton

Feb 13, 2004
Auburn Hills
Well considering his production from line 3 in the playoffs -- after 33 Swiss games, 44NHL games, and 6 other games (plus, perhaps, Swiss pre-season games), I'd say Brunner handled the schedule well enough.

Here's an astonishing number. Zetterberg scored FOUR GOALS in 38 games between the Feb. 1 hat trick and season-ending two goal game.

And Z was still a point per game and routinely the best player on the ice, especially during the last 5 games when the team needed him the most, what's your point?

JPE123

Jan 23, 2013
Can't compare Z and Brunner. Z does so many things well even if not scoring. Brunner is a one trick pony

BinCookin

Feb 15, 2012
London, ON
Can't compare Z and Brunner. Z does so many things well even if not scoring. Brunner is a one trick pony

Where Brunner will go is becoming more and more interesting.

According to TSN's top FA's list:

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/feature/?id=95306

Brunner, Raymond, and Boyes are the top players still unsigned currently.

Of these 3 players, who do you sign??

How much are these 3 players worth?

They each have their fans and detractors!

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
Where Brunner will go is becoming more and more interesting.

According to TSN's top FA's list:

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/feature/?id=95306

Brunner, Raymond, and Boyes are the top players still unsigned currently.

Of these 3 players, who do you sign??

How much are these 3 players worth?

They each have their fans and detractors!

I'd still sign Brunner.

Over Raymond bc he is RH.

Over Boyes bc Boyes is possibly even worse defensively and not as good skater.

crashman

Whilst being one of the best 2-way players in the game.

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit
young "highly skilled" players with the consistently perpetuated upside of Damien Brunner should be in high demand by all 30 NHL clubs, from the Hawks thru to the Avalanche, from cap ceiling teams thru to cap floor teams. Every single NHL team could use this kind of player and would do everything they could to make that player and his salary demands fit their team, unless...

well unless GMs and scouts simply dont believe Brunner is that player, hmmmm...

Retire91

Stevey Y you our Guy
May 31, 2010
I think right about now Brunner is wishing he resigned with the wings at a contract level the wings could live with :laugh:

SoupNazi

Feb 6, 2010
I think right about now Brunner is wishing he resigned with the wings at a contract level the wings could live with :laugh:

Agreed. He's probably regretting not accepting an offer from the Wings, even on another one-year deal.

RedWingsNow*

young "highly skilled" players with the consistently perpetuated upside of Damien Brunner should be in high demand by all 30 NHL clubs, from the Hawks thru to the Avalanche, from cap ceiling teams thru to cap floor teams. Every single NHL team could use this kind of player and would do everything they could to make that player and his salary demands fit their team, unless...

well unless GMs and scouts simply dont believe Brunner is that player, hmmmm...

I suppose you think mocking opinions with sarcasm makes your opinion stronger. But that's simply not the case.

Nobody is making Brunner out to be the greatest thing on earth.

Here's what Brunner is.
He scored 17 goals in 58 games last year, including the playoffs.
That's one fewer than Franzen and Datsyuk. That's more than Zetterberg and Alfredsson. That's a better goals per game ratio than Weiss has ever had in his career.
So, even with the huge slump and even with spending the 2nd half of the season on the third line, he still did what anyone would say is a good job in the goal scoring department.

He skates well. He's soft on the puck. He does put effort into his defensive game but he's prone to giveaways.

Everything about his game should improve.

The other thing is this: Alfredsson fill's Brunner's role. Righthanded shooter in the top 6 and the PP. If Aflie is here one year, who takes the role next year?

Jarnkrok? Not a shooter, even if ready. Frk won't be ready. Pulkkinen? Is Teemu going to jump Jarnkrok, Sheahan and Ferraro for a roster spot? Ferrarro is a righty, but does anyone see him in the top 6 next year?

RedWingsNow*

I would like to know what Detroit offered.
Every time the local media did a story on Brunner's contract, they talked about how Detroit was having difficulty coming up with a number that reflected Brunner's value.

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit
I suppose you think mocking opinions with sarcasm makes your opinion stronger. But that's simply not the case.

Nobody is making Brunner out to be the greatest thing on earth.

Here's what Brunner is.
He scored 17 goals in 58 games last year, including the playoffs.
That's one fewer than Franzen and Datsyuk. That's more than Zetterberg and Alfredsson. That's a better goals per game ratio than Weiss has ever had in his career.
So, even with the huge slump and even with spending the 2nd half of the season on the third line, he still did what anyone would say is a good job in the goal scoring department.

He skates well. He's soft on the puck. He does put effort into his defensive game but he's prone to giveaways.

The other thing is this: Alfredsson fill's Brunner's role. Righthanded shooter in the top 6 and the PP. If Aflie is here one year, who takes the role next year?

Jarnkrok? Not a shooter, even if ready. Frk won't be ready. Pulkkinen? Is Teemu going to jump Jarnkrok, Sheahan and Ferraro for a roster spot? Ferrarro is a righty, but does anyone see him in the top 6 next year?

I am simply repeating what some have said about Brunner, his potential and the rationale why he would be or why he is better then acquiring Alfie

if that seems like mockery or sarcasm then that has more to do with the character of the original opinion then my reuse of it

as far as goals per 58 game stats, Kopecky had 15 in 47 making him a much stronger goals per game RT winger then Brunner, just two years old, much bigger and stronger winger signed for the same amount as Brunner is reportedly seeking and no way would I ever trade Kopecky for Alfie.

Last edited:

SoupNazi

Feb 6, 2010

He's Swiss Cheese out there. If he's not shooting the puck he can't be trusted with it.

I have a question for you: how many 27-year-olds jump into the NHL from Europe and see their games drastically improve?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad