Prospect Info: Bruins Prospects \ Providence \ Atlanta

Status
Not open for further replies.

Absurdity

light switch connoisseur
Jul 6, 2012
New rules coming to the AHL. Rule 46 and and Rule 23 seem to jump out the most:
Rule 46 (“Fighting”)/Rule 23 (“Game Misconducts”)
• Players who enter into a fight prior to, at, or immediately following the drop of the puck for a faceoff will be assessed an automatic game misconduct in addition to other penalties assessed.

• During the regular season, any player who incurs his 10th fighting major shall be suspended automatically for one (1) game. For each subsequent fighting major up to 13, the player shall also be suspended automatically for one (1) game.

• During the regular season, any player who incurs his 14th fighting major shall be suspended automatically for two (2) games. For each subsequent fighting major, the player shall also be suspended automatically for two (2) games.

• In any instance where the opposing player was assessed an instigator penalty, the fighting major shall not count towards the player’s total for this rule.

Rule 82 (“Icing”)
• In addition to not being permitted to make player substitutions, the offending team on an icing violation also may not use its team time-out.

Rule 1.10 (“Ice Cleaning”)
• The ice cleaning procedures used during promotional timeouts will also be used prior to overtime during the regular season, replacing the “dry scrape.”

How long until we see these new rules implemented in the NHL?

talkinaway

Mar 19, 2014
On the couch
According to hockeyfights, we had three players with 5 fights, and one player with 6. I'll let you guess who the player with 6 was. (Hint: He won't be playing for the Bruins until at least 10/25...and probably never.)

http://www.hockeyfights.com/leaders/players/1/reg2016

If you want a list of the people in the NHL that this would effect, here we go:

http://www.hockeyfights.com/leaders/players/1/reg2016

Good old Campbell's up there with 8 fights. Note that these don't deduct for the "instigator", but my estimate would be instigators make up somewhere between 10-30% of fights...certainly not more.

For the "soft" Bruins, this doesn't change a thing. But there are 12 players with 8-9 fights who would be in the danger zone, and 4 players who would be suspended for a game. The leader, Cody McLeod, had 12 fights, so he wasn't THAT close to the 2 game suspension.

NB: I have no idea how reliable hockeyfights is, but I read something where it says it's considered a fight when (at least) one player is charged with a 5 minute major. If anything, it sounds like an overestimate. Either way, there's an average of 1 player per 2-3 teams who's in danger of a 1 game suspension - not terribly game-changing.

I can definitely see how this would make sense at the AHL level:

http://www.hockeyfights.com/leaders/players/2/reg2016

They have 22 players with 10+ fights, and one with 20. It gives credence to the "AHL goon" stereotype. Their first liners are trying to show grit to make it to the NHL, and their fourth liners are more goony than the NHL fourth liners.

EDIT: One final thought that I came up with after this stirring in my mind for an hour or so. This will turn a skilled player-fighter (think Marchand/McQuaid, not Rinaldo/Randell) into a virtual piñata in late March if they rack up 8 or 9 fights and their team is in a playoff race. A player with 4 fights will be eager to go at someone with 9 who's scared of getting #10.

Last edited:

Malt

Jul 6, 2007
Providence, RI
Will be interesting to see how the D plays out. Potentially looking at these eight competing for ice time:

Arnesson
Breen
Carlo
Casto
Cross
Grant
Gryzlek
O'Gara

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
Will be interesting to see how the D plays out. Potentially looking at these eight competing for ice time:

Arnesson
Breen
Carlo
Casto
Cross
Grant
Gryzlek
O'Gara

Breen is UFA I believe.

7 guys, 6 spots open each night. And this is assuming Boston doesn't carry 8 D to start the season, leaving 6 in Providence.

Brewins

Apr 23, 2015
I can see many of those getting a call up. Ogara first, then gryz then carlo is my guess maybe good ol tommy cross in there as well.

PepeBostones

Sponsor
Mar 3, 2002
If I didn't forget anybody, here are the players signed by Boston and who could play for P-Bruins. I haven't seen a signing of Chris Breen, but, if so he should be in here as well. Mark NacIerio may be on AHL contract I don't know.

A few players, hopefully several, will make it in Boston this season and things can change.

PROVIDENCE BRUINS 2016-17
Goal:
Malcolm Subban
Zane McIntyre
Daniel Vladar
Defense:
Rob O'Gara
Brandon Carlo
Matt Grzelcyk
Joe Morrow
Colin Miller
Tommy Cross
Linus Arnesson
Alex Grant
Right wing:
Seth Griffith
Brian Ferlin
Tyler Randell
Justin Hickman
Peter Cehlarik
Center:
Austin Czarnik
Sean Kuraly
Colby Cave
Tim Schaller
Noel Acciari
Left wing:
Danton Heinen
Jake DeBrusk
Colton Hargrove
Anton Blidh
Zac Rinaldo

Fonzerelli

Jul 15, 2015
I'll come to you
I wonder if Cave gets a letter this year. I know the team in Providence is loaded with former captains and the Bruins value leadership abilities in their prospects, so lots to choose from. That was always Colby's strength though, and I believe his most valuable asset to any hockey team he played for. He's a born leader.

Pia8988

May 26, 2014
I'm curious who ends up with Carlo. Will they go twin tower type setup with O'Gara. Maybe a preview of what Krug-Carlo might look like with him next to Grzelcyk.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
I'm curious who ends up with Carlo. Will they go twin tower type setup with O'Gara. Maybe a preview of what Krug-Carlo might look like with him next to Grzelcyk.

I`m just excited that this team appears to have actual viable prospects

08SeaBass08

Maybe next year.
Jul 8, 2010
Funkytown, Boogie Wonderland
thx, interesting how the role players on teams often make decent coaches, I guess they just see the game a bit differently

Could be many factors, I would guess, but it seems to me that the role players have to learn the finer nuances of the game, whereas the superstars can often rely on their sheer skill.

08SeaBass08

Maybe next year.
Jul 8, 2010
Funkytown, Boogie Wonderland
Really looking forward to this Providence season. Last year ended way too soon, with three ridiculous OT losses in the playoffs. I see some really interesting prospects with lots of guys getting some Boston time, too. Not too many AHL hangers-on - the kids will see the majority of playing time. I only get the five-game package (a three-year-old and #2 due imminently greatly restrict my attendance), but one still gets a great deal for $130 - playoffs are free, $25 team store credit, skate with the players, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad