Prospect Info: Bruins Prospect Thread Part V

Status
Not open for further replies.

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
I'm always skeptical about the "bloodline" picks. Always feels like they're overvalued based on lineage rather than skillset.

I know Kirk was a big fan of the Donato pick so I'd certainly defer to those who've seen these kids a fair bit, but always just feels like you're "overpaying" for a name brand.

I think it really depends on the individual player. If you are expecting his kids to be Ray Bourque, prepare for disappointment, but I don't think that's always the case.

When it comes to kids like Donato and Fitzgerald, it probably had more to do with geography and seeing them more, than it did bloodlines?

Can we cut the kid some slack, he didn't even start college yet, and is years away :laugh:

Son of Donegal

Stay-at-home defenseman with zero upside.
Aug 1, 2008
Maynard, MA
thomsonsafaris.com
I really enjoyed watching Donato at development camp. Aside from Pasternak he showed the purest offensive skill level on the ice...even more than Cehlarik and Fitzgerald. He is fast, determined and can both shoot and make plays. He is a C, though, so the Bruins have no need to rush him. The way I see it, he will probably not go pro for another 4 years. I wouldn't worry about Donato all that much...even at Harvard. Rest assured he will see a lot of ice time playing for the Crimson. He will be there with Jimmy Vesey for 1 year and then, like Ryan Fitzgerald, will likely take over the #1C position.

DoubleAAAA

Jun 5, 2009
I think it really depends on the individual player. If you are expecting his kids to be Ray Bourque, prepare for disappointment, but I don't think that's always the case.

When it comes to kids like Donato and Fitzgerald, it probably had more to do with geography and seeing them more, than it did bloodlines?

Can we cut the kid some slack, he didn't even start college yet, and is years away :laugh:

Don't mean to make it sound like I'm writing the kid off, I've never even seen him play :laugh: Wasn't even really specifically about him, just the notion that a pro player's child seems to maybe receive more kudos than skillset/production warrant.

It's just a personal bias (anti-bias? is that a thing?) that I hold :) It's more like I can't get past the feeling that teams are drafting them earlier than they should because of who the parents are.

Johnnyduke

Oct 30, 2007
Fitzgerald is a stud. Already the best forward BC has as a sophomore. Was very good last year but has taken even a bigger jump this year while not being surrounded by the group of forwards you normally see at BC.

Beesfan

Apr 10, 2006
Fitzgerald is a stud. Already the best forward BC has as a sophomore. Was very good last year but has taken even a bigger jump this year while not being surrounded by the group of forwards you normally see at BC.

He looked just like Johnny Gaudreau on that second one. He's a real solid player, one Bruins' fans should be getting excited about.

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Boston
Yale-Harvard on NESN. Great to see 2 B's prospects going head to head.

I think Rob O'Gara has gotten bigger since Dev camp.

Montecristo

Jul 29, 2012
danton heinen 2 more goals on friday in a 8-1 drubbing of Colorado college. now has 10 points on the year with 5 g 5 a. He needs to fill out, only listed at 161 pounds and looks all of it on the ice, very gangly. seems taller than 6 foot though. both his goals were in the slot, his first (the first of the game) was buried back door on a nice feed and good net drive, his 2nd the puck squirted out to his stick in the slot on the PP after some chaos in front and he buried it. Seems to have a pretty good knack for being in the right position and has some big time finishing ability with a real quick release. Throughout his amateur career he's been pretty much even in his goal-assist ratio and it continues to ring true in in first 9 games in college so a good blend of skills from last years 4th round pick. He might have been some good value in the 4th round, (although his skill set to this point makes him look to be a top 6 or bust type.)

anders bjork hasn't had the offensive start that heinen has had but when watching his game at Notre Dame he just screams versatility, so he's a player this front office will love. He can play in the top 6, bottom 6, kill penalties, has some good wheels, and he chips in offensively. he's an impact player at ND with a handful of points and although ND isn't exactly a hockey power, its still good that he can contribute as a true freshman. He's more filled out than heinen at 183 pounds being 5-11 so he's pretty solid out there. A lot of people suspect because of his versatility he will be on the USA U-20 WJC team as either a 13th forward or a bottom 6 grinder, which is a role i see for him in the pros. This 2014 draft is turning out pretty good so far with pastrnak playing very well in the AHL, heinen and bjork contributing at the collegiate level as freshman, and emil johansson playing meaningful minutes in the SHL in sweden.

According to the South shore kings website donato left the team to play for dexter as expected and finished his season in the USPHL with 10 points in 13 games (5 G 5 A). Have to think he's going to set dexter records this year in HS hockey as he's spent part of his year scrimmaging against good D1 college teams and now is lacing them up against 15-16 year old local high school kids. still can't get a read on him yet as a prospect, 10 points in 13 games is good in the EHL but not dominant. charlie coyle played for that team and posted over 60 points in under 45 games.

member 96824

It'll be hard to get a read on Donato until he starts college. I love what I've read on him though and he's definitely a high conviction pick from Kirk.

CLIFFY HOCKEY

Jan 27, 2008
Norton MA
Going to first Providence bruins game this year! Very excited to see pasta, I didnt attend Development camp this year for the first time in 4 years, I wasnt excited about draft class but after reading all the good stuff about pasta i'm very excited to see him, he leads team in points and plus/minus! I'm a little bummed that won't get to see morrow and trotman etc I will post my 2 cents after game for anyone interested, i'm not Malt but I think I do ok!

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
danton heinen 2 more goals on friday in a 8-1 drubbing of Colorado college. now has 10 points on the year with 5 g 5 a. He needs to fill out, only listed at 161 pounds and looks all of it on the ice, very gangly. seems taller than 6 foot though. both his goals were in the slot, his first (the first of the game) was buried back door on a nice feed and good net drive, his 2nd the puck squirted out to his stick in the slot on the PP after some chaos in front and he buried it. Seems to have a pretty good knack for being in the right position and has some big time finishing ability with a real quick release. Throughout his amateur career he's been pretty much even in his goal-assist ratio and it continues to ring true in in first 9 games in college so a good blend of skills from last years 4th round pick. He might have been some good value in the 4th round, (although his skill set to this point makes him look to be a top 6 or bust type.)

anders bjork hasn't had the offensive start that heinen has had but when watching his game at Notre Dame he just screams versatility, so he's a player this front office will love. He can play in the top 6, bottom 6, kill penalties, has some good wheels, and he chips in offensively. he's an impact player at ND with a handful of points and although ND isn't exactly a hockey power, its still good that he can contribute as a true freshman. He's more filled out than heinen at 183 pounds being 5-11 so he's pretty solid out there. A lot of people suspect because of his versatility he will be on the USA U-20 WJC team as either a 13th forward or a bottom 6 grinder, which is a role i see for him in the pros. This 2014 draft is turning out pretty good so far with pastrnak playing very well in the AHL, heinen and bjork contributing at the collegiate level as freshman, and emil johansson playing meaningful minutes in the SHL in sweden.

According to the South shore kings website donato left the team to play for dexter as expected and finished his season in the USPHL with 10 points in 13 games (5 G 5 A). Have to think he's going to set dexter records this year in HS hockey as he's spent part of his year scrimmaging against good D1 college teams and now is lacing them up against 15-16 year old local high school kids. still can't get a read on him yet as a prospect, 10 points in 13 games is good in the EHL but not dominant. charlie coyle played for that team and posted over 60 points in under 45 games.

Just an FYI...Notre Dame has been to the NCAA tournament 6 out of the last 8 years and went to the Frozen Four in 2008 and 2011. This year they were ranked 15th until last week when they dropped out of the rankings. Their coach Jeff Jackson won two NCAA titles as head coach of Lake Superior State in the 90's.

So they are pretty good.

Montecristo

Jul 29, 2012
Just an FYI...Notre Dame has been to the NCAA tournament 6 out of the last 8 years and went to the Frozen Four in 2008 and 2011. This year they were ranked 15th until last week when they dropped out of the rankings. Their coach Jeff Jackson won two NCAA titles as head coach of Lake Superior State in the 90's.

So they are pretty good.

I didn't say they were bad. I said they weren't a power. and they are not, at least not in the traditional sense. Quinnipiac went to the final 2 years ago but i wouldn't call them a power. ND has had some good solid years, but they aren't in the list of traditional hockey powers across the country like BC BU North Dakota, Minnesota, Michigan etc etc. Still no championships for ND. can't be a power without a championship.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
I see Knight was on fourth line again. And Seth Griffith is on Boston's first. Who knew?;)

But what does Sweeney and Bradley see;)....as for Griffith, I really like him and he's doing very well and hope and believe he plays for a thousand games. He can adapt- and his hands and composure are off the charts, shot very good, so much to like about him

folks like you (and there are many) arent happy unless they putting down other players. Pathetic but usually a reason

Flannelman

Quiet, Gnashgab.
Dec 3, 2006
has anyone seen Lars Volden play this season? stats look okay, but obviously i'm not in Sweden.
thanks,

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
has anyone seen Lars Volden play this season? stats look okay, but obviously i'm not in Sweden.
thanks,

This has been posted SEVERAL times :D, but the Bruins no longer own the rights to Volden. They did not sign him. Not sure why, maybe because of all the goalie depth they had at time and nearing the 50 contract limit?

He has a 2.09 GAA and a .925 save% in the Allsvenskan.

Danton Heineken

Howard Potts
Mar 11, 2007
Fall River
This has been posted SEVERAL times :D, but the Bruins no longer own the rights to Volden. They did not sign him. Not sure why, maybe because of all the goalie depth they had at time and nearing the 50 contract limit?

He has a 2.09 GAA and a .925 save% in the Allsvenskan.

There was a report somewhere that he had no interest in North America.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Idk, eye test (and I had great seats! Right in the middle, halfway up, bench side, great vantage point) told me knight is a player. Could definitely fit on the big club

why cant Boston have both London players- they are good friends and I can them and Pasta for three on the Bruins- add in Randell and you have four home grown players....Ferlin probably needs at least 100-150 games in the AHL but another good prospect

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Just curious, do you guys expect that Joe Morrow will crack the Bruins lineup next year? Or is there a chance he is moved rather than risking waivers?

BronxBruin

Feb 27, 2002
Bronx, NY
Visit site
Just curious, do you guys expect that Joe Morrow will crack the Bruins lineup next year? Or is there a chance he is moved rather than risking waivers?

Yes, Morrow has proven during his currnt stint that he is a NHL defenseman. He'll likely end up going back to Providence this year once the blueline gets healthy but only because he would be one of the few D that does not have to clear waivers. Next year when he is no longer waiver exempt, I would fully expect him to make the team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad